PDA

View Full Version : Temporary / Portable Sun Protection

Splash
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Team,

I don't want a permanently mounted biminy cover or any other type of cover on my 5.4m Haines.

Instead, I want to have portable sun protection when I have stopped planning, anchored up and started to fish. I then want to remove this sun protection when I pull up anchor and move on again..

Yes, I will be wearing SLIP, SLOP SLAP but I want something extra - overhead to take the harsh NT sun whilst stationary.

I know you guys are smart enough to think of something that will easily fit snuggled or rolled up somewhere when not in use..

SPlash

pontificator
05-11-2008, 12:19 AM
beach umbrella mounted into a screw on tube rod holder, on the vertical faces of the thwarts in my tinny works.

Not sure how that would work in a boat like yours.

I trimmed the length of the 'post' of the brolly to give a good height. The slop between brolly post and rod holder is conveniently taken up by a length of orange pvc which happens to be a neat fit

The brollies are woven shadecloth type stuff, which while not waterproof seems cooler than the more solid material, as the hot air can rise through it

Splash
05-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks mate. Photos?

FNQCairns
05-11-2008, 06:07 AM
Here is my attempt using more or less the same philosophy, couldn't find anything taylor made to suit, there is a hole in the market. I need to get a proper tarp built that one is just a silver tarp.

The entire setup has been tested just once so far on the water, took 3 minutes to put up with 2 people, will be faster if I get the right poles in the right holes first time:)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=137901

2nd on the water test in 3 hours, better go wake the deckie, woo hoo!:)

cheers fnq

Splash
05-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Thansk mate.

Mrs Ronnie H
05-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi guys
I used to use a beach umbrella on my tinny. Sat it in rod holder and worked well, except if it got abit windy.

There is a hole in the market as I wqas looking about 12 months ago for something to use on the other boat we had. At the time the only thing i came up with was using a roller blind and a pole into the middle rod hold at back of boat to hold it up.

Ronnie

White Pointer
05-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi guys
I used to use a beach umbrella on my tinny. Sat it in rod holder and worked well, except if it got abit windy.

There is a hole in the market as I wqas looking about 12 months ago for something to use on the other boat we had. At the time the only thing i came up with was using a roller blind and a pole into the middle rod hold at back of boat to hold it up.

Ronnie

G'day,

Ditto plus they use up too much valuable space when stowed for running. I'm not sure how well the market is catered for in the NT but around Redcliffe in Brisbane we have a few marine trimmers who do everything from biminis to full storm covers and make them collapsible to disappear under seat boxes, bunks, etc.

Check your local marine trimmers out.

White Pointer