PDA

View Full Version : Time to name the boat

catfishkid
04-11-2008, 10:23 PM
We bought a bigger boat a short while ago so my son and I could go fishing offshore,I was trying to come up with a name using the first two letters of my kids names,they hated it:-/ .
The wife sugested I call it The Doghouse because that is what I am in everytime I get in it,I like it;D .
I was wondering if anyone else has this name and what is the protocol with boat naming?
otherwise I am in The Doghouse.

Cheers Craig

sleepygreg
04-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I rather like that name....wish I had thought of it earlier...so apt for many of us. And as you are local to me....I will say g'day when I see you at the boatramp.

Cheers
Greg

PS. Dont know of any protocols when naming a boat other than to have a bikini clad beauty or lady in 'fashion on the field' clobber crack a bottle of champers over the bow......or just pour some over so you dont damage the gel coat/paintwork. Just make sure VMR redcliffe have your vesell on their books and give you a VMR number and there will be no confusion (and peace of mind for all). Happy boating.

finga
05-11-2008, 06:52 AM
remember the name should be short as possible so when you log on and off it won't take an hour and a half to spell the name.
It doesn't really matter how many people have the name. If you like it use it :)

Here's an amended cut and paste for the ceremony...
Buy a bottle of good Champagne & invite your friends to witness and party.

Begin the your boat naming by calling Poseidon as follows:
Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name.

Appeasing the Gods of the winds: This version is for the Southern Hemisphere. For the Northern Hemisphere swap around the atributes of the wind Gods, eg: Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind would have frigid breath instaed of scalding.

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat's new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.

(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

ref. http://www.boatnames.com.au/ceremoniesandnames.html

BaitThrower
05-11-2008, 07:39 AM
remember the name should be short as possible so when you log on and off it won't take an hour and a half to spell the name.

It doesn't really matter how many people have the name. If you like it use it :)

Here's an amended cut and paste for the ceremony...
Buy a bottle of good Champagne & invite your friends to witness and party.

Begin the your boat naming by calling Poseidon as follows:
Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name.

Appeasing the Gods of the winds: This version is for the Southern Hemisphere. For the Northern Hemisphere swap around the atributes of the wind Gods, eg: Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind would have frigid breath instaed of scalding.

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat's new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.

(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

ref. http://www.boatnames.com.au/ceremoniesandnames.html

Did you actually do all that step by step when u named your boat finga? :o

Benno1
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
what sort of boat did you get CFK???...what size???...got any piccies???

Mrs Benno1

finga
05-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Did you actually do all that step by step when u named your boat finga? :o
yeah pretty well but we had beer.
Had some looks at the boat ramp at Evans I give ya the drum ;D
The worse bit was that was the first time the tiny tinny was launched off the trailer and it didn't. 'Junior' got stuck on the long guides and we pretty well had to lift the little bugger off :-[

wilcara
05-11-2008, 09:10 AM
I like "Doghouse." Dammit too.

Once at a wedding I was at when the "telegrams" were read out; one to the bride said "Don't put your husband in teh doghouse too often or he will find somewhere else to bury his bone." Loved it.

Az
05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I think you already have picked a winner - Doghouse gets my vote too

Chimo
05-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi Craig

How about

"KID N ME"

Chimo

Donny Boy
05-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Stole the thunder Chimo,

To appease the missus i was gunna go for " Your Kid 'n me"

catfishkid
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
what sort of boat did you get CFK???...what size???...got any piccies???

Mrs Benno1

Gday mate,its a 18ft cruisecraft reef ranger,130hp saltwater series yamaha,lots of extra bits,

Cheers Craig

finga
05-11-2008, 07:36 PM
i wish that was my doghouse :(

Benno1
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
what about E-fishient...or Slip Away???...or what about Another Toy???...Decked Out???...just a few off a website i found :D
Reef Ranger suits it too...

Mrs Benno1

DarkHorse
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM
How about "Morning Glory"??

Skusto
06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
A good one that i have seen b4 was 'Wet Pussy' ..

catfishkid
06-11-2008, 06:27 PM
A good one that i have seen b4 was 'Wet Pussy' ..

There is a 2400 kevla cat for sale at cunninghams marine at clontarf callaed Wet Pussy,nice boat and the name certainly raises a few eyebrows.
I am going with The Doghouse,the name suits my situation when I use it.;D
I like the other sugestions,there are some pretty good plays on words there.
I always liked Far Canal.

Cheers Craig