PDA

View Full Version : Plastics in timber

eotbmg
04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Ok call me dumb...... But are you guys fishing plastics such as slick rigs in the timber weedless? AM heading up to Monduran in a couple of weeks and wanted some clues and some theories on how the others fish them through the timber structure with out getting snagged. Frank OO loves his 7 inch Nuke Chook there and he just feeds the hook on and rigs them weedless, but you cant really do that to a Storm!!!!!!
Cheers in advance
Ben

DEANO68
05-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Ok call me dumb...... But are you guys fishing plastics such as slick rigs in the timber weedless? AM heading up to Monduran in a couple of weeks and wanted some clues and some theories on how the others fish them through the timber structure with out getting snagged. Frank OO loves his 7 inch Nuke Chook there and he just feeds the hook on and rigs them weedless, but you cant really do that to a Storm!!!!!!
Cheers in advance
Ben

Hi ben, foxie has the new shadalishous hollows, you can rig them weedless on a 5/0 or 7/0 worm hook , they swim great and you can throw them anywhere,...

Whitto
05-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Ditto Ben....Deano has given u the good oil I reckon.....Cheers

NAGG
05-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi Ben ....... Nice to see that you are looking at breaking conventional thinking & considering using plastics in tiger country8-)

We fished standard slickies at Mondy during the muster in the timber along with ones rigged weedless (TT weighted worms) & in all honesty there was not too much of an advantage!
Since that trip ..... we have all started grabbing hollow type paddle tails - These can be rigged weedless & being much lighter rigged that way .... will be less likely to snag!
If you get a chance .... go into a decent tackle store & look at the various types of weedless setups - :P

With regard to those suspending & slow sinking storms ....... any treble rigged / modified plastic will lead to heartache & frustration ....... as if you snag up you'll have to move over to get it off ( contaminating the area) .... While a slick rig single hook set up can usually be pulled off the snag (opening up the hook) ..... without a move:)

Good luck with it

Chris

eotbmg
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys for the replies.
So hollowbellies on the worm hook seem to be the go!

Chris are you talking about the texas rig style setups as i have used that method before.

I love the action of the storms, and i would love to somehow rig them weedless, need to rack the brain for that one.

The reason i dont use placcys is that most of my Monduran fishing is while stationary and tied to a tree-as soon as you are snagged thats it, your over and done and as Nagg said contaminated the area. Different story when you are on the leccy though.
Has any one tried slick rigs weedless???
Thanks again
Ps Nagg where are you and how are you going, the weather has turned to the shit on the Sunny coast!!
Ben

black_sheep
05-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Ben, if you want to use those storms weedless, as per normal, just cut the single hook off the top and instead of upgrading to an owner treble, just remove the treble all together. The split ring still bumps snags but doesn't hook up as the circular design rolls smoothly over most snags;) .
It's pretty much snag and weed proof;D .

Makes releasing barra a lot easier - oh, I forgot, you already know how to prematurely release barra:o .

eotbmg
05-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Ben, if you want to use those storms weedless, as per normal, just cut the single hook off the top and instead of upgrading to an owner treble, just remove the treble all together. The split ring still bumps snags but doesn't hook up as the circular design rolls smoothly over most snags;) .
It's pretty much snag and weed proof;D .

Makes releasing barra a lot easier - oh, I forgot, you already know how to prematurely release barra:o .

You must have been using them last January........Didnt you drop 9 or 10????:o:o

Dunno if you can re rig the storms
Ben

NAGG
05-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys for the replies.
So hollowbellies on the worm hook seem to be the go!

Chris are you talking about the texas rig style setups as i have used that method before.

I love the action of the storms, and i would love to somehow rig them weedless, need to rack the brain for that one.

The reason i dont use placcys is that most of my Monduran fishing is while stationary and tied to a tree-as soon as you are snagged thats it, your over and done and as Nagg said contaminated the area. Different story when you are on the leccy though.
Has any one tried slick rigs weedless???
Thanks again
Ps Nagg where are you and how are you going, the weather has turned to the shit on the Sunny coast!!
Ben

Hi Ben ...... sitting in a little hotel in Nundah ..... & yes the weather is shitty ( I'm sure it followed me from Sydney)
Hey ben ..... when you work out how to rig a storm weedless let us all know

I have come up with a way of making slick rigs more weed proof ...... Tie a piece of stiff wire off the jig head .... below the eye & bend it like a weed guard of a fly ........ It deflects enough weed over the hook point to make it more effective ( I left my protypes at home :'( )

Here is a barra caught at Awoonga on a weedless slick rig ...... you can see the slicky in the photo

Chris

shorty 01
05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
gday eotbmg
im goin up to monduranin a couple of weeks for the first time and iv been watching some dvds on monduran and they seem to be doing ok on the soft plastic bull frogs so iv got myself some to try. when are you going up mate

cheers davo

eotbmg
05-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Chris
the piccy is a bit tough to see, is it rigged with a worm hook similar to those used on the frogs or is it with the wire over the hook simlar to a scum frog??

Davo
I am back there on the 5th -8th of December. Heap of guys going. When are you there???
Thanks
Ben

NAGG
05-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Chris
the piccy is a bit tough to see, is it rigged with a worm hook similar to those used on the frogs or is it with the wire over the hook simlar to a scum frog??

Davo
I am back there on the 5th -8th of December. Heap of guys going. When are you there???
Thanks
Ben

Rigged on a TT weighted worm

eotbmg
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks mate that gives me something to work with, hows the hook up rate on the weedless slickrigs? Still about 55-60 %?
Ben

NAGG
05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks mate that gives me something to work with, hows the hook up rate on the weedless slickrigs? Still about 55-60 %?
Ben

Hook up rate was 33.333% to be exact::) Yes 1 out of 3 that session

Chris

Roo
06-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Rigged on a TT weighted worm

The 130 slickie fits nicely with a 6/0 Gamakatsu EWG, best to thread the hook in through the nose rather than try to use the original hole on the top of the head and need to trim the fin off the topside of the plastic so you get the hook out of the top hole and sitting neatly in the middle of the body. I used plain hooks and added sticky weight after rigging but the TT's would be spot on anyway. It casts quite well as the 130 slickrig is no lightweight, I only added the sticky weight to get a better balance....stop it rolling on its head when jerked.

Good luck.