PDA

View Full Version : Hard Livin gets another PB

levinge
04-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, only 1 keeper in the boat, but another deckie gets a PB.

The day started with Ron (Ronnien) arriving at my place around 10:30 (Wh, All will be revealed), suffice to say I would have been on the water earlier but for the fact that my brother was arriving from Brisbane and I had to collect him from the airport.

So Ron and I loaded up the boat and decided to park close to the Airport and await the phone call saying that he was here and ready to go.WELL!!!!
Parked nedar the airport and sat there waiting, waiting, waiting and waiting some more. After about 20 minutes past his scheduled landing time, I begin to think that Qantas has had another breakdown. Not so, Ron tried ringing my mobile and low and behold, the bloody thing is on the fritz. Power off, power on, SMS received "where are you, I am here" OOPS F*&k, start the car and a few seconds later, we have him in the car and off to the ramp.

Launch and on the water, Run out of the harbour wasn't too back and the swell, wind and wave direction wasn't ugly. Push out past Magnetic Island and the swell cleans up a little. Took us 75 minutes to get out to Moonraker aropund 1:30pm. Once there we decided to do a drift around the area first. Lines in the water, baits hit the bottom and within 5 minutes Rons hauling back on the line and up comes a nice Nannygai. This is going to be one sweet day. Run back up to the top of the mark and commence another drift. Couple of good touches over the next hour, but no keepers in the boat, Ron just keeps hooking up Trigger Fish.

We then decided to anchor up on the mark and try a little bottom bashing. Mark found and anchors away. At this stage we are feeding the fish because no one is hooking up. My brother Carl, decides to change tack and rig up and ganged hook for bottom bashing. Over the side it goes, WELL, not too long later and his drag starts to scream, He is onto a good fish, we start call it, GT, Spaniard (something about my Boat comes to mind). Anyway this Monster breaks the surface, but nobody caught a good look at it, Silver colour was seen, I think!!!!

Anyway this thing has big runs, and was putting a severe bend in my 24kg thick broomstick rod and the Okuma SA80 was doing its job really well. Anyway this thing comes to the surface again about 30 metres directly behind the boat..... SHARK!!!!! and a big bastard at that. I jump on the Trim Tilt and lift the leg out of the water, not cutting off on the prop with this guy. He sees the boat and screams off again, Carl yells out "no don't do that ya bastard" and he did, turning sharply this shark peels off a good 40 metres of line before Carl is able to turn his head.

Both Fish and Man are now at a point where they are both hurting big time. Carl turns his head and begins to bring him closer to the boat. This shark is absolutely stuffed and so is the angler, a few good pumps on the rod and this monster comes up close to the boat. Ron ever ready with the camera captures a couple of happy snaps. With one last burst the shark turns head down and 2 big pumps of his tail, SNAP the braid and leader part ways and this fish swims off.....

Nothing much happened after that, 4pm we head back toward Magnetic Island. Trolled from Horseshoe Bay to Bay Rock with one hit and no hookup. Headed for home, 1 fish in the boat but one hell of a story for my brother to tell his mates back in Bris Vegas....

That thing about my Boat, "Hard Livin" has scored a 6 foot Bronze Whaler about 2 months back and another one today. we think he went 8 to 9 Foot, big and fat. Go know how much he weighed, but he was a thumper.....

Fishbait
04-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Nice conditions and great photo of the shark. Ah, waiting for brothers... have done this before too. Anyway, at least you had him on board and you all had a good time by the looks. Cheers, Darren.

levinge
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Definitely a Minties Moment

Rod Fishing
05-11-2008, 05:15 AM
Brett,

Did you gys get out to the bomber?

Cheers Rod....8-)

levinge
05-11-2008, 07:13 AM
No, we didn't get on the water until 11:30am and the conditions meant that I couldn't open her up all the way so time was a factor. I will be going out again, possibly on Sunday so I might give your mark a tickle then....

Local_Guy
05-11-2008, 09:16 AM
well done. gotta love those on que catch and releases.

disorderly
05-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Sounds like Ron likes catching those nanny's...

Bloody annoying those sharks though I lost some ganged rigs and a couple of fish to them yesterday.

Scott

levinge
05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Yep, but its good seeing my brother get his arms stretched. Poor bugger was early to bed last night, totally knackered......

Unfortunately not alot of run out there yesterday 90 odd CM over nearly 10 hours

NO RUN NO FUN - definitely true

ronnien
05-11-2008, 04:31 PM
disorderly

that was only my third largemouth, but remembered from fishing with fnqcairns (scott) what they feel like & called it early in the fight. yeh mate i like catching them heaps! cant wait for one 10kg+ on the end of the line.

ron.

Rod Fishing
05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Ronny,

They are an awesome fish, however i reckon the small mouth are better on the chew than the large mouth.

Brett you dont want to swing me that mark for moon raker do you? Might see you out there on Sunday, unsure if i am headed out yet depends on the weather and wheter or not the missus will let me go.

Cheers Rod....8-)

Scott nthQld
05-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a good, but slow day on the water. Those big sharks sure like the look of your boat brett, it doesn't bleed does it?

Ronnie, always the one to land the nannygai on everyone's boat, if he keeps it up he'll run out of invites I reckon!

ronnien
05-11-2008, 06:49 PM
scott

dont be like that mate, wait....... till the weekend! the nannys are going to be in trouble so are a few trout (i know when a trout starts) + the big red emperors. lol.
nah... just keen to get out there again.

ron.

levinge
05-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey Scott I am thinking of getting a heap of small Shark decals made up and everytime we get one, I'll stick a decal on the side of the cab....

Hey Ron how was work today, good to be active hey mate...

ronnien
05-11-2008, 07:58 PM
rod
you might have to show me how to catch them (big) smallmouth some time;).
brett
score mate score, score & tired:sleeping:

ron.

Fishin_Dan
05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Ah ya buggers. Was definitely better out there in the day than it was at night... Rough as guts comes to mind :(

Sorry I missed you at the airport Brett. Stupid work got in the way big time... Oh well - Next time.

ferrett
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
good job brett least u guys got something. You drove straight past me at work on your way out, That gut busting shark will teach you for not picking me up haha

disorderly
08-11-2008, 11:38 PM
disorderly

that was only my third largemouth, but remembered from fishing with fnqcairns (scott) what they feel like & called it early in the fight. yeh mate i like catching them heaps! cant wait for one 10kg+ on the end of the line.

ron.

Yeah Ron....no doubt Scott was licking his lips at the thoughts of a big juicy bludger trevally on the end of your line...;D

I really like the largemouth too...on tuesday I caught 9 smallmouth at one 30m spot when I first arrived ..and then moved later to a deeper 45m spot where I caught a Largemouth first up but dragged anchor and even tried again but it just wouldnt hold..:(

I like the largemouth because they have a firmer flesh and the fish resembles a Red Emperor in shape ...they look great when they first come aboard......and I really also enjoy the fight.....bit easier than a trevally,too ;);D.

I'd love a 10 kg model also..:)

Scott

ferrett
13-11-2008, 05:55 PM
yeah disorderly i am with you on this. I find small mouths dry and rubbery unless they are just legal but the largies are beautiful no matter wat the size. Some of the largest ones i have got have been around the 8kg mark and still lovely, Fairly close to emperor just not quite as soft and sweet.