PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Bow Roller Design

tenzing
04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I have twice bent the flimsy hinged bow roller that was supplied OEM with the boat. Admittedly both times were on stuck anchors that were completely my fault.
I have straightened out the second one but I know it flexes even when I use an anchor retriever with a reef pick.
Before I repair the glass damage from the last misadventure I would like to get the strongest bow roller and then fit an anchor to it . I like the design of the sarca roller but $$$$.
Any suggestions?
Brendan

I am using the hinged one flipped up so the rope only goes over the near roller to remove the flex due to the hinge

The-easyrider
05-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Dont know what brand it is but the one on the sea legend seems to be bullit proof,maybe ring whittley or northside marine they should be able to let you know what brand. I will have a look this arvo and see if there is a brand on it.

Grand_Marlin
05-11-2008, 07:09 AM
The Sarca one is good.
Also, there is one that comes through Maxwell winches - Bias Boating can source it.
It was excellent quality, but again expensive. (300+ from memory)

You could also get something custom made.

In this line of products you are certainly going to get what you pay for.

Cheers

Pete

tenzing
05-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks heaps guys.
I'm really keen to get this right this time . Any pics or specs I can get my hands on greatly appreciated, or links?
Brendan

Jabba_
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I know what your talking about Tenzing, I am onto my 3rd roller in 20 months.... I have considered going a custom made roller, and I proberly will some time early next year....

FYI, I have tried a couple off differant rollers, and I have returned back to the original hinged roller.....

The-easyrider
05-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Tenzing checked out my bow spirit and there is no branding and by the look of it I would say it is a custom made job it is a fully molded bow spirit and the rollers are pivioted from the center rather than hinged this would add greatly to the strength. I do remember seeing a thread somewhere either here or on fishnet where someone hade built a similiar type onto a boat without one

tenzing
05-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Tenzing checked out my bow spirit and there is no branding and by the look of it I would say it is a custom made job it is a fully molded bow spirit and the rollers are pivioted from the center rather than hinged this would add greatly to the strength. I do remember seeing a thread somewhere either here or on fishnet where someone hade built a similiar type onto a boat without one
Thanks for the effort mate. I really appreciate it.
Brendan

Captain Seaweed
24-11-2008, 04:23 PM
here are this pics you were after. Hope they help.
Marty

OPTI
24-11-2008, 05:52 PM
this is what ive made for my 233,the bow roller is actually from riviera but southern stainless make almost an i dentical one for 350 .its 6mm stainless,thats a 28 lb anchor i was just checking clearence.

jimbo59
24-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Is yours is the crappy cheap rivited one? I have puchased a couple of the bolted type that are made in aussie land they are alot stronger. Allison boats sell them $100 bucks ask for sue.

Ocean_Spirit
24-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Tenzing,
PM me your email and I'll send you some photos.
Cheers mate.

SgBFish
24-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Consider this a crazy response if you like but what is that you want to brake when there is too much force applied.
If the anchor is truly stuck isn’t it better to bend the stainless than brake the glass bow sprit off.
Scott

tenzing
24-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Consider this a crazy response if you like but what is that you want to brake when there is too much force applied.
If the anchor is truly stuck isn’t it better to bend the stainless than brake the glass bow sprit off.
Scott
Yes Scott I see your point and the stress breaker idea is a valid one . I have seen the hinged bow roller flex quite considerably and have taken chunks from the gel coat on the bowsprit when this has happened.
I am not wanting something strong enough to allow me to tear the reef away to free my poor choice of anchor, But it should be rigid enough to use an anchor retrieval system with a reef pick without bending all over the place.
Thanks for the reply though mate.
Brendan

tenzing
24-11-2008, 09:49 PM
this is what ive made for my 233,the bow roller is actually from riviera but southern stainless make almost an i dentical one for 350 .its 6mm stainless,thats a 28 lb anchor i was just checking clearence.
Thats a solid looking piece of SS you've got there.
Brendan

Jabba_
25-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Is yours is the crappy cheap rivited one? I have puchased a couple of the bolted type that are made in aussie land they are alot stronger. Allison boats sell them $100 bucks ask for sue.

Jimbo, can you post up a pic of that roller, and do you a ph number for Allison...

jimbo59
25-11-2008, 07:32 AM
There ph no is 38037900 i cant get you a photo sorry.

Fatenhappy
25-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey Opti ... that's one sweet lookin' bow roller ...

Got any other hints on who is producing stuff like that on the slightly larger side for bow sprit/anchors?

I am looking at running a Manson Supreme 25lb anchor, married to a StressFree 1400 Maxi NG winch hence the query

OPTI
25-11-2008, 03:00 PM
i think most custom stainless guys would do it,southern stainless do one they are in labrador ,im getting a manson supreme 25lb as well ,got the stress free also.;)