PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS/ Sounder/Fishfinder....& why ?

Donny Boy
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Getting one very soon.............

Looking at a decent size Colour Screen, not huge, need to find the fish, find our way home again in the dark if we're out at night, & whatever else................

Totally done in by the different things available. :o

Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin ....apart from price, what's the difference ? :-/

Thought... http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon3.gif .......why not ask the gang ? ;D

So, in language that a 4 year old could understand, please feel free to pass on your tips .........(or abuse), :-[ as you see fit....

Thanks in advance,

Outsider1
04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Don.

we need to know your approximate budget, otherwise the options are pretty wide and the comparisons difficult.

Cheers

Dave

tunaticer
04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Also Don, do you have room for side by side units on your console / dash?

And what depths of water will you be using the sounder in?

Jack.

catfishkid
04-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I understand your problem,been there recently.I ended up buying a raymarine A60,slightly larger screen than the ones you mentioned at 5.7",digital sounder,easy to use menus and functions.

Cheers Craig

Donny Boy
05-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Hi Don.

we need to know your approximate budget, otherwise the options are pretty wide and the comparisons difficult.

Cheers

Dave
Yeah, .........sorry guys. Bit like how long's a piece of string.

Have a 5.5 m Half Cab & will be mostly in & around the 'Pin, maybe do a few overnighters, but also planning to take it over to Moreton, go outside & chase some Snapper at the 36ers or where ever.

Budget ? I thought around $ 1300-$1500 would pull me up, but then there's map cards for $400 too, (which i didn't factor in) & that came as a bit of a shock.
Saw units from $ 699 to $ $ 1399 ( + cards)

Room on the dash ? yeah, got that Jack...( refer to avatar pic )
All that's there at the moment is a compass, & I can move that.

Outsider1
05-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Don,

I will kick off with some suggestions.

For that sort of budget I reckon Lowrance are a good choice.

I would go for separate Sounder and GPS units if you can fit them. A combo unit is good, but it is better to have both screens fully available, and if one unit did fail you still have the other working.

I recently bought a new GPS unit and found that Bias Boating had some of the best prices around at the moment. But prices are going up soon, they confirmed this when I was speaking with them, in the interim they are honoring their catalogue prices!!

The 5" units would be best value for money, are in your budget range, and should fit on your dash by the sound if it.

Here is a link to Bias Boating's Electronics section;

http://www.biasboating.com.au/c-71-electronics.aspx

My pick would be;

an X515c DF colour sounder (200/50Mhz transducer);

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-1589-lowrance-x515c-df.aspx

and a Global Map 5200c GPS (external antenna);

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-1524-lowrance-globalmap-5200c.aspx

Both are on special at Bias for $699 each.

As to map card, Lowrance use a Navionics Gold Card. They cost $385 for the whole of Australia version or you can buy a small maps version (Rosslyn Bay to Brisbane) for $285. If you are going no further south than the Bay worth considering the cheaper small map card.

Cheers

Dave

Donny Boy
05-11-2008, 02:10 PM

I would go for separate Sounder and GPS units if you can fit them. A combo unit is good, but it is better to have both screens fully available, and if one unit did fail you still have the other working.

Thanks Dave,

I'm feeling more worldly by the minute............

Rather obvious question...........what about the amount of power they draw ?
Of course it's gunna be more, but is it double ?
I run two batteries with an Isolator, & as I understand, that ought to be enough.

Also, when you're looking at one intently, are you concentrating fully on the other ? ( I guess if you're in 60 metres of water, you don't need to worry if you're going to hit bottom !!! )

Outsider1
05-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks Dave,

I'm feeling more worldly by the minute............

Rather obvious question...........what about the amount of power they draw ?
Of course it's gunna be more, but is it double ?
I run two batteries with an Isolator, & as I understand, that ought to be enough.

Also, when you're looking at one intently, are you concentrating fully on the other ? ( I guess if you're in 60 metres of water, you don't need to worry if you're going to hit bottom !!! )

Not sure precisely on that one Don. Two units would use more power but not sure that it would be twice as much. In the scheme of things their power draw is pretty small.

I run 2 batteries with an isolator as well. I run a sounder, a GPS and a combo unit and have never had an issue. I run on one battery on the way out (charging it up) and use it for the day. I then switch over to the other battery for the trip back in and give it a charge as well. Works for me and have never had an issue.

As to their readability etc, at speed you usually only need to glance at them. Having 2 screens actually makes this easy (as long as they are both on a reasonable sight line). Combo units tend to take more our your attention because the display for each section is noticeably smaller (width wise not height)and you need to look harder to read them.

In terms of combo units the Lowrance LCX-27C DF with a 7" wide screen would be your best comparison to the two 5" single units. Bias have them for $1449, so price wise it is line ball. I am sure you would be happy with the combo unit, but I still think 2 singles is better. Others will hopefully offer their opinions on this aspect.

Here is the Bias link for the LCX-27C DF;

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-1561-lowrance-lcx-27c-df.aspx

Cheers

Dave

Outsider1
05-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Donny,

another question just came to mind that might be relevant? Are your looking to fit the sounder and GPS yourself, or do you want to get someone to fit them for you??.

Grand-Marlin is a member here and does this type of work, and is highly regarded for his work and service. I believe he can also arrange supply. Might be worth giving him a pm.

Cheers

Dave

Donny Boy
05-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks Dave,

Will keep Grand_Marlin in mind.

At this stage, not having bought the thing(s) I haven't gotten too far ahead, but my Boat Mechanic ( BJ Rowling - Water Torque.....quick plug) would be the first guy I went to, and I know he can fit them too.

patrol50
05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
mate i can recommend the lowrance lcx 27c - similar uses as yourself - i am very happy with it and it was fitted by peter ( grand marlin) who did an excellent pro job fitting it - i must admit i did muse over a hummingbird colour side imager though for quite awhile before buying the lowrance
see you rob

jtpython
05-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Just purchased a Humminbird 917c combo
Fitted it myself is a beautiful set up easy to install and clear as a bell
Support is quick and responsive updates avaible to download and direct sunlight veiwing
Love the idea of downloading pionts to SD card to unit is simple stupid for me

High definition 480V x 800H, sunlight viewable colour TFT display
• Big screen chartplotting, 16 channel GPS and dual frequency sonar
• Ultra wide format, 178mm diagonal display for non compromised split screen viewing with large digits
• Dual frequency 83/200kHz, high performance 500 watt power output sonar transducer for wide coverage and reliable depth performance from shallow to deep water
• Dual channel sonar receiver and dual microprocessor design for higher performance dual frequency operation
• Transom mount transducer includes surface water temperature sensor
• CCFL backlighting and selectable screen backgrounds - white, blue or black
• Freeze frame
• X-Press™ menus for instant access
• Automatic or manual operation of upper and lower depth range
• Rapid response water temperature graph quickly shows temperature changes and an audible temperature alarm sounds as the boat crosses temperature zones
• Built-in UniMap™ of Australian and New Zealand coastlines to 4NM provides basic chart virtually anywhere
• Compatible with seamless Navionics® Gold cartography
• Optional system expansion to include WeatherSense®, SmartCast® receiver, CannonLink™ and InterLink™ network connection

Donny Boy
06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Cheers for that JT.

My next stop will be to buy the book "GPS for Dummies" so's I understand what it was you told me.............

Sounds & looks good, what sort of price ? is around $ 1700 right ?

Donny Boy
06-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanx also gwpiohweoi,

Had a look at that one too........smart unit.

Decisions , decisions..................

wilcara
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Donnyboy I'm with Outsider on this one. Lowrance make a great "average" unit. (Go on guys, cane me for it!) Get the most pixels and biggest screen size you can afford. If you win lotto then I reckon Garmin are the pick of the litter for GPS and Furuno or Raymarine for Sounder, but you need to be savvy to be able to operate it to its max potential. Lowrance is a good option. Definitely seperate units or you'll put your fist through it.

STUIE63
07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
I think if the money is anywhere near close then go the separate units just because if one does happen to fail then you still have a second unit so the day isn't ruined eg if the sounder dies then you can still go to a mark on the plotter and if the plotter dies then you can still sound around . if you have a combo and it dies then go home or go fishing like they did thirty years ago .
Stuie

Mindi
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Donnyboy I'm with Outsider on this one. Lowrance make a great "average" unit. (Go on guys, cane me for it!) Get the most pixels and biggest screen size you can afford. If you win lotto then I reckon Garmin are the pick of the litter for GPS and Furuno or Raymarine for Sounder, but you need to be savvy to be able to operate it to its max potential. Lowrance is a good option. Definitely seperate units or you'll put your fist through it.

Totally agree all that....particularly about sep units, Furuno and raytheon...just not sure whether Lowrance better than Humminbird and others..? maybe they are, but I have had several older ones and Furuno soooo much better

wilcara
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM
I have never had a H'bird but if you study all the various boating/electronics threads and forums for about three years like I did Lowrance definitely comes way ahead of the two on consumer opinion. Not saying H'bird is not a great unit, it might be.

jtpython
07-11-2008, 05:10 PM
So many different type s and brands find what suits you ............... and take your time to look to get the best deal
I spent a lot of time looking at different brands before i went with my combo
Best of luck mate
JT

nigelr
07-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Agree with Will and Mindi.
Seperate units for sure, Furuno sounder if you can afford it.
Cheers.

Local_Guy
07-11-2008, 06:19 PM
as far as i'm concerned, the only difference between humminbird and lowrance units is the way the menu's are displayed. apart from that. both good units.

like others have said. go into a shop and look at the units side by side and find the one you like the look of best...

GAD
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I have a Raymarine combo C70 that recently , had a problem , but no sounder and no plotter , well I can find the easy close reefs by sight in the day , but the sounder is what I missed , so now got new furuno 620 sounder and am going to try it out tonite , and with the Raymarine beside it we'll see where we are going , but now am a convert to the two units idea ...

Greg

Dean1
07-11-2008, 09:50 PM
My advice is think long and hard about getting a combo. Ive used a few furuno combos lately and have found them very non user friendly. They can do your head in! Electronics always seem harder to get your'e head around when out at sea as to compared to on your trailer in your yard. Seperate units much easier and safer. Love my furuno 620 and navman plotter. both easy to use ;) Deano.

tin can marlin
07-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I must say i'am a hummigbird fan and they are easy to use for dumb f%&ks like me. Good luck as i think all sounders are pretty good these days.

Donny Boy
07-11-2008, 11:17 PM
WOW !

Hey, thanks to all for the great advices !

You've really got me into it all now, doing comparisons and looking at all sorts of sites, for all sorts of units.

It's great to know that so many of us are, (or were), " in the same boat " if you'll pardon the pun.

( Not something you think about a lot, when some Sales dude is breaking your b*lls concerning the qualities of the particular unit he has hanging on the wall, alongside the other 10 or so of the same brand. !! )

My belief has always been to talk to the people that use the things, & you've all given me a stack of things to look at & consider, without all the BS.
So interesting to note how much the stories can change at the retailers, armed with only a few bits of info from you guys.

Thanks to all, keep the tips coming, I'm up for it now.....& because of you, (hopefully) a lot wiser.

Like that shampoo shiela said .......................
" It won't happen overnight.............but it will happen !! "

Thanx again & tight lines

tin can marlin
07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Good luck with it don

Donny Boy
10-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Quick update Team,

Spent all weekend in & out of shops, chandelries and websites, & decided ( finally ) to go with twin units as so many of you suggested.

Picked up the GPS today .....Lowrance 5300c. :D
Gunna pair it up with the x515c Sounder as suggested by Outsider1 Dave, & thanks for that.

The general concensus was, that the Furuno units & such, were terrific things, but not so user friendly as the Lowrance & Humminbird, and of the two, Lowrance was the easier to use.

Being a dumb newbie, the choice was simple........

And the reason why a 5300 over a 5200 ???? :o

They didn't have a 5200 in the shop.....and the price ticket on the 5300 was wrong.....................good enough... ;D;)

Will keep you posted on the Sounder......thanx again.