PDA

View Full Version : Cruisecraft at Fraser?

spearking
03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi all, a lot of queries in this one but any information would be appreciated

just got back from an amasing 8 day trip to fraser, stayed a great house at orchid beach.;D

On the way to waddy point I passed 3 cars in succession towing decent sized cruisecraft outsiders/explorers near happy valley.

I was wondering if anyone had made the trip to fraser with a largeish boat?
How you go towing around the headland tracks?
Do you tow all the way to waddy point?
If so is it a skull drag or is it done with relative ease if you have had practice?

I've been to fraser, moreton and straddie several times and towed a camping trailer on this last trip. I own a cruisecraft outsider 550 and would love to one day have a trip to fraser and fish some of the offshore reefs, although I am alittle hesitent to drag my boat and trailer through all that sand and the tight tracks.

I drive a hilux 3lt diesel and realise that my vehicle is not suitable for such a trip but do have access to a v8 landcruiser

If such a trip is possible what do you do to set up your boat trailer and car. would a leafover, bigger tyres, fish oil and extension hitch on the trailer be enough, or is the trip that sketchy it just wouldn't be worth taking the chance hurting my pride and joy?:-/

finding_time
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Spearking

For the fraser comp literally hundreds and hundreds of boats make the trip from 4m to 8m, a v8 landcruiser will do it easily and you'll just need an extension to your draw bar made! I would not even consider changing the tyres just let down your present one to about 12-15psi you'll do it easy.

Ian

Ps having a second vehicle is a big help through the cuttings and maybe a second boat for company offshore, it's along way from anywhere up there!

GBC
04-11-2008, 04:51 AM
the major diff between the lux and the cruiser is wheel track. Choose the tow vehicle closest to the track of the boat trailer. The cruiser is always going to have more power and if youi can't match the track of the car/trailer I'd think about bigger trailer wheels esp if the 550 is on a single axle trailer because she'd be marginal for weight at that.
Like Finding Time said: hard part is cuttings and most importantly : have your sh!t together at launch retrieve time and don't stuff about - consider leaving one person in the boat to use the outboard thrust to help get the vehicle moving when the banks are steeper and soft (high tide).

ozscott
04-11-2008, 07:22 AM
The V8 crusiers in the last couple of weeks didnt do it easily even with the tyres down. They do when there has been rain, like most times at Fraser, but when there hasnt been rain for ages, the sand is like talc. A couple of weeks ago the Redlands Boat Club did their annual fishing comp. Go and ask them how the V8 cruisers went through indian head with a 6m glass boat on the back...oh what a feeling alright as long as you ignore 3-4 (yes three to four) extra tow vehicles in front of yours towing you like a bloody great steam train;D.

Cheers

backlash08
04-11-2008, 07:24 AM
I have towed boats to waddy quite a few times, depending on the beach conditions it can be a walk in the park or a full day effort. I wouldnt tow my boat up there anymore, it is so hard on tow vehicles and boat trailers,
I know may hunderds do it and I've been one of those hundreds but it is hard on gear

ozscott
04-11-2008, 08:21 AM
One thing I forgot to mention was that the RBC boys had to stop several times when in deep sand low range towing because of excess engine temps...nice new vehicles, mostly Toyos with plenty of grunt so it is hard on vehicles and equipment.

Az
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
they did a pretty good write up in F&B on the fraser trip and what is involved, I think I might still have it at home or someone may know of it online??

I will have a look when I get home

Cheers
Az

dfox
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Here's gregs thread on the Fraser trip earlier this year. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=131765 ... foxy