PDA

View Full Version : I've picked one!!!!..... i think :)

Nathanrb4
03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
After a couple of months prowling the internet and nagging all my local boat shops and mates for info i think i may have decided on my next boat.

I've been looking for something in the 19foot range that i can still tow behind a v8 calas. Other features i`ve been told i need to have (girl friends layed down the law after many wet trips home in my old centre consol) are seating for atleast 4 and a windscreen with clears so we don`t get wet and finally something under $45k.

Usage will be mainly cruising around magnetic island and the palm group up here off townsville, towing a tube and hopefull the occasional fishing trip out to the reef if theres a break in the wind.

I've looked at afew second hand hainse' (610c) and whittleys (5.8 montery) and afew platies but after a ride in a mates mates Quintrex 560 freedom sport on the weekend i think i may hav found it. its the current model with the 135hp inboard, is 6.06m long and handled the 15kt and 1.2m seas quiet well on saturday morning. also the RRP for these start at around 36k which leaves plenty left over for "personalising" :)

my questions are, does anyone own one or has anyone heard of any problems with them? and is there any reason that i couldnt take this boat out to the reef off townsville (75km) on a calmish day?

Cheers
nathan

finding_time
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Mate if you go to the reef once your going to want to go again and again, it's bloody lovely out there!;) The freedom sport is simply not designed for this type of work and will present problems if you continue to use it this way, after all great days turn into marginal days very quickly. I personally think you were on the right track with a newish second hand glass boat but a newish platie will also be fine ! If you going to stick to the rivers and dams then pressed will be fine, but not for the ocean!

Ian

This is what i would be looking at , from ausfish's own for sale section

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=140836

ozscott
03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Mate - boats are a bit like cars...lots of devaluing in the first year in particular. For under or near $45, you could pick up a hell of a lot of second hand glass boat thats not all that old with a very low hours motor that might well still be in warranty. I wouldnt hesitate to get a good glass boat over a new tin for what you are after.

Cheers

sheridan
03-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi Nathanrb4

My mate has a 4.88 freedom sport mellium hull is a bit smaller but punching into a chop is quite a wet boat i have same size in a haines half cab and it handles the rough heaps better and nice and dry

Geoff

GBC
03-11-2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=134465&highlight=quintrex

some light reading for you.

pilchardjones
03-11-2008, 07:49 PM
nathan,
i agree with all comments above.
you have a good budget and will find a very capable quality 2nd hand 5.5m - 6m glass or plate boat with a newish 4 str or DI motor for that money.
thats what i personally would be looking at over a quintrex. especially if the odd reef trip is also planned.
in saying that it would be fine for maggie / palms, with very little fishing.

there are lots of qualit boats for sale at the moment so you are in a good position.

steve

Nathanrb4
03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
thanks for the comments guys and your link GBC its exactly the info i was looking for. i guess its back to looking around for the next 6 weeks till i actually have the cash in my account to buy one.

Finding time, that hainse looks great but i worry alittle about stone chips and scratches on a glass boat. is this a big issue? knowing i'll probly be towing it to airlie beach (300km) and back 3 times a year.