PDA

View Full Version : 90 Yamaha. Dies when put into gear.

mowerman
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Yamaha 90 2stroke 2003 model.
3 carbys oil injected.

Sometimes,,hate this intermittent stuff,,sometimes it will start, run stop in the same amount of time it takes to say that. But only when the fuel level in the main tank is low. Switch to second tank and away it goes.

But today.
Start and idle ok on both tanks but when put into gear it stops.Does this a dozen or so times before it will idle in gear. Then stops 3 or 4 times in gear before , Away we go.

With the gear I had on the beach today I changed the plugs, drained the carbys, emptied the fuel separator but still the same.

Got me buggered. Any ideas. Anyone.

Rod

Spaniard_King
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Compression check.. if ok.. check syncronization.. then adjust mixtures.. possible carby clean required.. if out board hasn't been run for a while just get out and give it a good run with new fuel before adjusting anything

TheRealAndy
02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
I used to have that problem when motor was cold. Got it serviced and all was good.

finga
02-11-2008, 06:21 PM
How much fuel came out of the bowls?
Might be a fuel pump problem as well.
How's the primer bulb?

Horse
02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I have had that problem with a 15hp after a service. I just adjusted the idle screw and all was fine. I think that many workshops don't have enough backpressure on the system when setting the idle by testing in shallow tanks. Back in the water and another 250mm of water pressure and they are fine out of gear but fail when the extra load is applied. I have seen the same thing on three motors in the last two years after services

Roughasguts
02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
As said by Horse.
I would just bump the idle up a bit. Cables stretch eventually and if it's set when on muffs or in a shallow tank then it would idle faster and be okay for putting in gear. But if the motor sits deeper in the water then the extra back pressure and being in gear, will as you see stall the motor.

But yeah you did all the right stuff first, that's what I would have done as well.

finga
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
So why does it do it until recently when the main tank is low and when she went on the reserve all systems were go if it was low idle speed and back pressure?

mowerman
02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Time for a service I think.

Finga.
Only the actual starting when the tank is low. Today was the first time it would stop when put into gear. Started and idled fine.

Rod

finga
02-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Goodo, let us know when she's done :)

trueblue
02-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Compression check.. if ok.. check syncronization.. then adjust mixtures.. possible carby clean required.. if out board hasn't been run for a while just get out and give it a good run with new fuel before adjusting anything

What S_K said above... Especially the last bit. Change out the fuel, and replace with clean new fuel. Then add some fuel additive for cleaning carby jets and fuel systems. Run that tank through before adjusting anything.

Mine went bung... ended up it needed the carbies being cleaned out.

Then periodically it would play up just a touch still - I ran the cleaner through and problem was gone.

Cheers

Mick

iceknight
02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
iv noticed a few problems at the work shop lately.

a lot of fuels are eating the pick ups off in the tank, id be checking this,
even the workshop tank had it eaten off,

Noelm
03-11-2008, 07:24 AM
OK, before you pull anything to bits, make absolutely sure the Timing assy under the flywheel is free to move, it is very common for them to get sticky, so when you engage gears, and want to speed up, they do not advance and the Motor will stall, seen it a hundred times, do the easy non invasive stuff first, not saying that's what it is, but it is very common.

Moffy
03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Spaniard king on the money for mine - Brother had the same problem with his 70hp yammie - carbies needed a really good clean out (all jets everything had to be removed, soaked and cleaned) - it had seriously gunked up from using old fuel regularly - (fuel goes off quick up weipa way when its not too good to start with......)