PDA

View Full Version : considerations when lending a boat

on-one
01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
my brother has just sold his boat and i'm happy to lend him mine but he wants to come up with some sort of agreement so we don't end up arguing if something bad happens, so far the list is fairly small, paying the excess on any insurance claims whilst he's using it, filling the tanks when he's done, - any thoughts on what else we should include?

mik01
01-11-2008, 09:00 PM
cleaning it?

Lovey80
01-11-2008, 09:02 PM
depending on how much he is going to be using it. I'd say going halves in the servicing and of course fixing anything he breaks ie props etc. Other than that its your boat and your responsibility.

Cheers

Chris

jimbo 69
01-11-2008, 09:05 PM
the fact that he wants to do the right thing is a good sign that he wont take advantage of it

QldKev
02-11-2008, 08:49 AM
This biggest killer is when thing break. Who is to pay for the repair/replacement.

Item A. is very old and in poor condition and breaks.

Item B. is new and breaks. Was this a bad design that caused it or neglect?

The issue here if say Item A that was ready to die breaks, should the person using at that time pay for it?

Then you get the issue Item B is broken when the boat is on loan; but not by them, but by one of their passsengers who dont tell them. The next time you use the boat you find it and they will not accept responcibility for it (cause they didn't know about it)

You get the idea.

QldKev

Fishbait
02-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I'd make sure his name is on your Insurance Policy as a nominated driver at least. Any new GPS marks he obtains you can keep also ;D - after all - its your expensive pride and joy he's using. All the best.;)