PDA

View Full Version : Battery advice

Matt76
31-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, I am going to get a battery in my tinny to run sounder, maybe gps later down the track, maybe a fluoro light and some nav lights. Would be handy to be able to pump up the trailor tyres with the compressor straight off the battery too.

Any recommendations on what I need?

I guess first step is battery box and battery (size?) and run it to a switch panel like the ones at BCF etc. and hard wire the lights and stuff from there.

Is there anything else I am forgetting? Is it a better job to get a auto sparky to do or quite easy as a DIY. I am a trady so can usually work most stuff ok or at least bluff my way through.

Thanks
Matt

PADDLES
31-10-2008, 09:13 PM
for what you want matt just get a cheap car battery and whack it into a battery box, that'll do the trick. drill some holes in the lid and mount the switches for the lights through them. keep all your terminals and connections inside the box.

BaitThrower
31-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Easy DIY mate.

I'd be looking at something like a 12v 18Ah AGM. That should be plenty to run a sounder, GPS, and lights etc. Get yourself the LED lights for navs and instead of the fluoro as they use much less battery.

Then just use a small battery box or make a plywood box for it and cover the box in marine spar varnish.

Might need something bigger in the battery department for the compressor perhaps but I would probably just run that off your car battery, making sure the car is running to prevent the car battery going dead...

QF3 MROCP
31-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Matt76:

Have a look at this web site and make your own calculation and decision..

Marine batteries and designed for boats and car batteries for cars!!!!!!!

http://www.centurybatteries.com.au/files/All_PDFs/DeepCycleGuide_Century.pdf

White Pointer
31-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Easy DIY mate.

I'd be looking at something like a 12v 18Ah AGM. That should be plenty to run a sounder, GPS, and lights etc. Get yourself the LED lights for navs and instead of the fluoro as they use much less battery.

Then just use a small battery box or make a plywood box for it and cover the box in marine spar varnish.

Might need something bigger in the battery department for the compressor perhaps but I would probably just run that off your car battery, making sure the car is running to prevent the car battery going dead...

G'day,

This advice is spot on. You haven't told us if your engine can recharge the battery. That can make a different to the type of battery. Also, depending on the size and weight of boat a good quality foot pump works well. Not as hard as pumping up bicycle tyres.

I'm in the habit of refuelling after using the boat so that it's ready to go and there is no room in the fuel tanks for condensation and that's when tyres are checked.

White Pointer

pontificator
31-10-2008, 10:53 PM
go to a place that sells wheelchair or golf buggy batteries and ask if you can acquire a second handy. This is only an option if cost is more important than weight or space, but will do all of those things for no money, or not much money, and a gel battery at that

Matt76
01-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks a heap guys, yeah the motor can charge the battery, I have just got the terminals isolated atm. The switches in the top of the battery box is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. Led's sound like the go too, and they last ages.

This just shows again what a brilliant site this is!!

Blaster Bretty
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Matt76:

Have a look at this web site and make your own calculation and decision..

Marine batteries and designed for boats and car batteries for cars!!!!!!!

http://www.centurybatteries.com.au/files/All_PDFs/DeepCycleGuide_Century.pdf

This bloke is on the money here.
Boat / marine batteries are made a bit tougher with the plates inside locked down, this is to counteract the excess bouncing and vibrations the are often accompanied in boating, even though you only have a tinny dosnt make you exempt from rough water, it was only yesterday arvie I encoutered 1 1/2 - 2 foot waves in the logan river due to the wind that got up and boy was it a rough ride in the 12 foot glass runabout, much rougher than any car or 4x4 would endure, this is why its important to use the correct battery for its intended purpose. It dosnt have to be a la de dah gel or super long life exy one, just the run of the mill marine lead acid will do,\.
from memory I think super cheap have a bosch marine 500 amp for about $165,
the 500 amp relates to cranking power if you decide to grab an electric start.

Bretty

CreelReaper
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Mate,
Whichever way you go make sure that all switches etc are marine grade. Otherwise you will be replacing them pronto because of rust and corrosion. Also run 'tinned' copper wire as this will also last much longer.

Cheers