PDA

View Full Version : outboard tilt and trim

tim barra master
31-10-2008, 07:44 PM
:-[ :'( :( :-/ >:( :o I have had a recent really ugly experience with a fourstroke tiller on my hornet
I hit a submerged log which hit at the gearbox bowl area of the leg no apparent damage to the leg but the entire outboard fliiped copletelly upsidedown landing upside down in the engine well area at full throttle
it snapped the tillerarm off destroyed the cowl did a lot of damage inside the cowl to the engine and the hydraulics were destroyed 1st the electric motor appears to have been blown off with hydraulic pressure never found then as the outboard came up with such force that it ripped the ram out of its sleve the outboard a rightoff the transum very badly damaged and worse yet the outboard rolled back into the water at revs leaving me with an uncontrollable boat( no tiller)
This was a very dangerous situation and i have only posted some of the story
I was only traveling at about 30kph at the time as i was being cautious of fuel consumption on a trip
What i would like to know has anyone heard of this happening before?

Richo1
31-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Sorry to hear of your mishap, was the motor bolted on? Not much you can do when it comes to hitting submerged objects. Mate hit one in his tinny which bent the transom out of shape and required straightening and re-welding. The motor was okay!

tim barra master
31-10-2008, 08:33 PM
yeh it was a 50 hp it remained bolted to the transum it flipped over on its usual pivot point

Sea-Dog
01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Strewth :o

Did you have to go for a little swim afterwards to rinse the jocks out? :-[

I hope the insurance co. makes it as painless as possible.

Spaniard_King
01-11-2008, 05:15 PM
must have hit with some force.. are you going insurance on it??

tim barra master
01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
yeh Sea dog I was very rattled as well as injured
thanks Gary
I beleive i have straitened the insurer out as they were trying to get out of the claim cheep I had to explain there policy to them I wonder how many people take it up the arse from insurance companies
As for the engine manufacturer it appears they dont care that my hydraulics didnt let go. 40 days later they have not bothered.
I find this incredible as if i had a passenger sitting next to me as my wife usually does( i mean used to) would have been killed without doubt.