PDA

View Full Version : underfloor fuel tank filler

jarrod
31-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I am in the process of installing a underfloor aluminium fuel(petrol)tank in my seajay.I was going to fit a plastic 38mm fuel filler on the front deck(carpeted plywood)joined to the tank with rubber fuel hose.A workmate thinks there may be a risk of static charge build up when refueling.Not keen on being a human fireball at the servo!.Any advice on the best way to set up tank would be appreciated.Cheers Brad

tunaticer
31-10-2008, 06:43 PM
I think you will run the same risk filling your car as filling your boat. Static electricity does not favour either steel or plastic. If you wish you can place an earthing strap from the filler to the hull substructure then another one from boat to trailer then to ground with a static discharge strap. A lot of bother for very minimal risks. How many fuel tanks are filled everyday with out earthing in place?

Jack.

nelton87
31-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Jarrod,
When I do these I always install a earthing wire between the Alloy or Stainless Tank up to the deck filler, I always use either a stainless filler or chrome bronze filler and ensure the earth wire is ground under the hose on bothe ends.

I would never install without double stainless steel hose clamps and ensuring the electrical cable that i use is secured under the last clamp only on each end of the fittings.

IMHO opinion it is better to be safe than sorry as you do not get a second chance as I have seen several cars catch fire by refueling fuel tanks whilst they are still in the back of the wagon etc.

Plastic in my opinion can not be trusted with relation to static and fuel.
It is just one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Nelton

White Pointer
31-10-2008, 07:05 PM
G'day,

Why not just put the filler straight into the top of the tank and forget about all that earthing and plumbing? The servo hoses are long enough to reach and you will never make the mistake of trying to fill it through a rod holder - it has been done - lots!

White Pointer

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 07:27 PM
G'day,

Why not just put the filler straight into the top of the tank and forget about all that earthing and plumbing? The servo hoses are long enough to reach and you will never make the mistake of trying to fill it through a rod holder - it has been done - lots!

White Pointer

Is this really an option? filling up the boat with displaced petrol fumes? I have done it before and never blinked an eye over it, although these days I wonder what extra risk I may have been running over a gunnel mount filler...any?

cheers fnq

Sea-Dog
01-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Is this really an option? filling up the boat with displaced petrol fumes? I have done it before and never blinked an eye over it, although these days I wonder what extra risk I may have been running over a gunnel mount filler...any?

cheers fnq

I was thinking the same thing....

A stray spark from bilge pump and Kablooowie........

I have just bought a SeaJay with a raised casting deck up front and full floor, with plastic 45L fuel tank underneath the casting deck.

I wondered about the fumes spilling out of the tank and into the bilge whilst filling the tank.

I have considered a bilge blower, but that's probably a bit excessive in a 4.85 tinny isn't it?

But I don't want to be lugging a 45L tank up and down at the servo either.

jarrod
02-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone.I think i will run a earth wire between a metal filler & tank as suggested by Nelton.I have experienced what White pointer was talking about first hand.My dad filled up the floor of his centre console with petrol one day when he tried to fill up thru a rod holder.Didnt do the stryofoam under floor floatation a lot of good! Thanks again Brad

FNQCairns
02-11-2008, 10:16 AM
I was thinking the same thing....

A stray spark from bilge pump and Kablooowie........

I have just bought a SeaJay with a raised casting deck up front and full floor, with plastic 45L fuel tank underneath the casting deck.

I wondered about the fumes spilling out of the tank and into the bilge whilst filling the tank.

I have considered a bilge blower, but that's probably a bit excessive in a 4.85 tinny isn't it?

But I don't want to be lugging a 45L tank up and down at the servo either.

Yeah even on the odd occasion I fill from a jerry ofshore I try and position to keep that tunnel downwind.

Filling at floor level without external breathers is the only thing stopping me from rushing out and buying an extra 50L capacity.

cheers fnq