PDA

View Full Version : Buying hydraulic steering - what's good?

cro142
31-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I am going to buy new hydraulic steering for my Cruisecraft Reef Finder 5.3m.

Does anyone know which brands and models are best, and is there anything to avoid??

Also, who would have good pricing??

Thanks for any information.

Peter

rayken1938
31-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I got a baystar side mount kit from Leisure Marine at Capalaba for $560. They beat Bias price by $40 after a bit of haggling. Quite simple to fit with 2 people needed to bleed it. Very happy with result. Fitted it to a 50hp big foot merc on 4.6 stacer which used to be an absolute dog to steer at speed.
When the dollar was strong you could save $160 by purchasing from States but forget it now.
Cheers
Ray

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Teleflex now has a new centre mount cylinder, called something strange I forget now, the centre mount is the BMW of cylinder design, worth the probable extra cost for the extra reliability, simplicity and feel.

cheers fnq

suzygs1000
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
HI,

There are pretty well only two cheap and readily available : these are the Baystar sidemount, and the Hydrive sidemount - both these systems were around the $550 before the arse fell out oof the dollar.

I had the Hydrive on my previous boat, and the current boat has the Baystar.

Both kits perform well, but I reckon the Baystar feels better than the Hydrive.

In saying that however, the oil reservoir, pump and valves on the Hydrive are under the dash, whilst on the Baystar, they are on the outside of the dash.

In effect, this means that the steering wheel is about 100mm further out from the dash with the Baystar, than with the Hydrive.

This won't be a problem if you have plenty of room between you seat and the dash.

I didn't realise this when building my boat, and found that I had to swap my dished steering wheel for a stainless steel sports wheel with less of a dish, otherwise, I was cramped for room when standing up.

I have a centre console, with a seat.

Bear this in mind.

Dave.

cro142
07-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the responses guys - its always good to get comments from someone who has direct experience of a product.
Thanks.

Moonlighter
07-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Cro

I fitted the Hydrive side mount cylinder a few years ago - as with others, am very happy with it and had no problems.

If you fit up yourself, a tip is to follow the instructions EXACTLY, little things like lining up the tubes square and the bleeding procedure (helps to have 2 or 3 people on hand for that part) and if you follow the intsructions to the letter you should have no problems, but remember, no short-cuts!

Grant

tin can marlin
07-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I would stick to hydrive as it is aussie made and i think that is important at the moment to look after our fellow workers. MUA here to stay.

Lovey80
08-11-2008, 03:47 AM
I just had Col at Fisher Boats mount Hydraulic steering when he refitted a new Suzuki 50hp to me Centre Consol. It is a Baystar centre mount set up and can't fault it. I know that a 50hp engine really doen't need it but after having it I would never go back to non Hydraulic.

Cheers

Chris

Ian1
12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Have the baystar on my 550 Fisher with a 140 Zuke. Only just ticked up 100 hrs but I can't fault it.

Cheers

Ian