PDA

View Full Version : Bridle Rig

castlemaine
31-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Saw a fishing show on TV recently where they showed to use a bridle rig on your anchor line to lay your boat against the wind and fish the current direction from the back of your boat.
I was fishing Peel yesterday and it was a pain as my boat faced the direction of wind not the the current and this bridle rig would have been good. Just as I was considering rigging it up, three sets of decent out of ordinary waves crossed my bow. Couldn't see what could have caused it though. Now I need some advise from you 'gun' boaties. If I had the bridle rig done up tying it off at the bollard at the transom can I get swamped by large waves ie from a ferry passing by for instance???
Cheers8-)

Dirtysanchez
31-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Perhaps if it was on a sliding arrangement so if you were fishing there and saw the waves coming you could use your motor to apply a little pressure one way and point the noce into the wake ?

Sounds interesting, I could see a rope from transom to bow, with a S/S ring attached to the anchor rope. The ring could be held in place til the current held the boat mid section into the current, and then you could fish.. trouble is as you say you could be swamped, and if you are fishing into the current you will in theory have your back to the incoming current

BrettyJ
31-10-2008, 04:22 PM
It was on Rex Hunt on Saturday morning, maybe try his website.

tunaticer
31-10-2008, 04:32 PM
With a bridle or off centre rigging of an anchor you need to use substantially more rope for 2 reasons.

A lot more strain is placed upon an anchors hold when you have a boat angleing accross the current direction. Often it will cause more anchor grab if not enough rope is deployed.

Secondly you may find that the up-current side of the boat will sit substantially lower in the water due to the anchor pressure on the gunwale pulling it down and the water running across the keel dragging it sideways. Without enough rope out this can lead to waves breaching that leading edge side more easily.

It may be better to offset your anchor less and steer the bum around with the outboard in some cases, esp if its a traffic areas frequented by larger wash boats.

castlemaine
31-10-2008, 09:51 PM
With a bridle or off centre rigging of an anchor you need to use substantially more rope for 2 reasons.

A lot more strain is placed upon an anchors hold when you have a boat angleing accross the current direction. Often it will cause more anchor grab if not enough rope is deployed.

Secondly you may find that the up-current side of the boat will sit substantially lower in the water due to the anchor pressure on the gunwale pulling it down and the water running across the keel dragging it sideways. Without enough rope out this can lead to waves breaching that leading edge side more easily.

It may be better to offset your anchor less and steer the bum around with the outboard in some cases, esp if its a traffic areas frequented by larger wash boats.

G'day Tunaticer
Are you saying, to every so often to swing the bum around, is the best option???
Cheers8-)