PDA

View Full Version : Fiesty Endangered Trout Cod pics!

poddy mullet
31-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, just thought I would share with you all some top news- the endangerd species the trout cod is on the comeback! Some mates of mine have encountered some absolute stonkers whilst out fishing for big goldens.

The penalties for being caught in possession of a Trout Cod are severe and it is totally illegal to fish for the species, but they are becoming a more and more regular bi-catch for those fishing for Golden Perch and, when in season, Murray Cod.
The species punches well above its weight aswell, and slam just about any lure thrown in there general direction at a million miles an hour. They are a handfull in fast flowing water on light gear, thats for sure!

Trout Cod have officially been known to grow to 16 kilograms, or 35.2 pounds, and are a highly aggressive fish with plenty of potential to become a self-sustaining freshwater sport fishing species. Local legends even speak of the species reaching a massive 30 kilograms, or 66 pounds.

Lets hope everyone keeps letting them go and we see their numbers stabalise.

Be great to hear from you if you've also seen a trouty recently,
Cheers,
Pod.

NAGG
31-10-2008, 12:16 PM
They are one handsome fish ........ :)

Thanks for putting it up Pod

Chris

poddy mullet
31-10-2008, 12:21 PM
If you enlarge the first pic you can see a DPI research tag in the fish. Be great to be able to track them as they move, and see what conditions they need to thrive. I reckon thay would give small carp a pizzling judging by the way they smash lures aswell!

shayned
31-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Good to see another native on the way back, lets hope they have the same success with the jungle perch.

poddy mullet
31-10-2008, 01:16 PM
What is the jungle perch and where does it live shayne d?

black_sheep
31-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Poddy - Jungle Perch is a tropical fish found in nth qld (possibly NT and top end of WA???). They not a big fish and a 1kg model would be considered better then average. Really pretty fish though.

Love the TC. Caught a lot of murrays, east coast and mary river cod but have never seen a TC in the flesh. Fingers crossed they do make a comeback mate - thanks for sharing.

dinodadog
01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
picked up a small one at Narrandera on s/bait last Oct, I was just having a quick flick while the wife was making a small donation at the local bowls club, we were on our way further south.

2manylures
02-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Well done Poddy!

It's good to see the species are getting numbers back up.

I caught my 1st Trout Cod back in 1993 in the Murray downstream from the Yarrawonga Weir whilst fishing for Murrays.

Over the yrs I've managed 7 Trout Cod from Mulwala through to Mildura with the biggest going just on 69cm.

No comparison between the fighting qualities of Trout Cod & Murray Cod, TC's kill 'em.

Whilst on the subject of Endangered Native Species, the Silver Perch which has been classified as endangered in the Murray is around in prolific numbers.

This yr alone I must have caught well over 100 of the scrappy little fighters both on bait & many on lure, the smallest being around 3" & largest around 5lb.

There that plentiful in the system that many consider them "pests" when fishing for Golden's & Cod.

YES, all my natives are released, never killed one!

poddy mullet
02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Your dead right about the fighting qualities 2 many lures! I have hooked one, and dropped him, very next cast hooked him again only to drop him at the edge of the weed bed some 2 meters from the grippers, and third time lucky- hooked him again and landed him! They are unbelievabley aggressive! Great fun! Our best is between 70-80cm, so can't wait to get a big one!:o Cheers, Pod

Cammy
02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Thats really cool man, thnx for posting the pic and infomation up! i got a couple of jungles in my tank.

Cam

2manylures
02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Your dead right about the fighting qualities 2 many lures! I have hooked one, and dropped him, very next cast hooked him again only to drop him at the edge of the weed bed some 2 meters from the grippers, and third time lucky- hooked him again and landed him! They are unbelievabley aggressive! Great fun! Our best is between 70-80cm, so can't wait to get a big one!:o Cheers, Pod

Poddy,
A biggun would be very interesting wouldn't it.

It's a shame they don't come along as some other endangered species.