PDA

View Full Version : spectra ? winch rope first retrieve?

pontificator
31-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Went mad last boat show and bought spectra/GSp/? winch rope.

Instructions say critical to wind on under load of boat.

Of course, I fitted it in the garage under load of spare hand, thinking the load of boat will be applied on the next retrieve.

To minimise cutting in between existing wraps, loaded up the winch with exagerated cris cross wraps.

When I next come to retrieve boat, any lessons re the remaining wraps on the winch?

Any other tips?

Rick K

disorderly
31-10-2008, 06:47 AM
just wind it on as per normal ...it's good stuff.

The-easyrider
31-10-2008, 06:54 AM
I put it on the last trailer just wound it on with hand preasure in the shed , never had a problem after that ,although it was a light boat 525 stacer

NAGG
31-10-2008, 07:07 AM
When I put mine on ......... I hooked it up to my tow bar & wound the boat trailer towards the car .......:)

Worked a treat

Chris

peterbo3
31-10-2008, 08:11 AM
I think that the directions re winding it on under tension are there to cover people who do not have a safety chain & use the spectra as the means of securing the boat to the tlr. I tensioned mine at the first recovery & have had no problems.

levinge
31-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Peterbo3 has it totally correct, if you don't load it under tension then it will not be at it premium best and may pinch on the spool.

One tip, when you do decide to do it under tension i.e. launch the boat and then retrieve it using the cable only (no drive on). Make sure that you do it when there is no wind or strong current around (especially if its a big boat). Otherwise you will find it hard to control the retrieval.

This stuff is great 1 ton boat and spectra has a 4900kg breaking strain.

pontificator
31-10-2008, 10:55 PM
thanks, seems I'm on the right track!