PDA

View Full Version : Lenthall

Luc
30-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

Any news on how Lenthall Dam is fishing?

I'll be travelling north in a couple of weeks and plan to fish it.

Thanks in advance.

Luc

warrior
30-10-2008, 08:36 PM
mate its been a hard slog out there no good reports of late water is still very dirty a couple of fish have been caught in the reports but lots of hours to do it ,barra are there but quiet as well good luck if you go out,cheers AL ps dont forget the 60hp 4 stroke regs now

flairj
31-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Just to be clear........ I'm pretty stink on Lenthalls.

I have been a bit bored of my local bass dams in Bundy and decided that with Monduran being slow that I would make the hour and a bit drive to Lenthalls for an arvo session. Now I know the gates close at 6pm but you should get a few later in the arvo. Wrong. Gates close at 4pm. So I got all of an hour and a half on the water for a close to 3 hour round trip.

This is the third time I have been to Lenthalls and each time has been an absolutely underwhelming experience.

Since they raised the dam wall it has gone over the top and a lot of the fish went over the wall (Bass and Barra). It has flooded alot of shallow ground and the fringe of lillies hasn't really come back yet.

The result. The place isn't as pretty as it used to be. The fishing is poor to mediorce and the lake is closed for peak fishing time. Coupled with powermonger nazi rangers means this place is very low on my list.

But like I said, I am pretty stink on the place and I'm sure there are ten people who will say it is great for every one like me who don't.

On a more positive note. I did go to Cania for the first time last weekend and it was great. Beautiful, good fishing (Bass and Saratoga) and the crowds were low.
Or if you are going straight up the highway a 30km detour from Childers will get you to Lake Gregory (my local) which has awesome surface session morning and night.

Hope some of that helps, Josh

Luc
31-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Josh,

Lake Gregory is also on my option list.

What's the fishing like mid morning (will be leaving Brisbane around 5:30AM) Any particular parts to fish, trolling / casting?

PM me if you want. Will see you at Peter S place later that day;D

Luc

Herby13
03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Im with you Flairj, Lenthall's back roughly 4 years ago was absolutely beautiful, while now the bulldozers have cleared all the trees close to the water and the whole appeal of the nice darkness of the dam has gone, along with the F**KED hour resrictions, it wil never see me back again!

During the hours of the day the dam is open all you got a chance of catching is heat stroke!

chewy01
03-11-2008, 09:14 PM
guys have had a report of literally thousands of bass dead down in the salt below lenthalls,no operational fish ladder,terible shame.
chewy..

BARRAkid
03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
lenthalls is crap imo since the fish kill and the distruction began it has just gone down hill the fishing is dead as when it should be going off like present years.

Go to gregory its a nice lake and there is a good chance you will pull a bass or two even in the middle of the day no restrictions either but it is shellow so it wouldn't be to smart to go fast

good luck :P

Luc
04-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like Gregory will be the first pick and if time permits, might drive in to Lenthall for a quick look/see.

Luc

jimbamb
07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
luc
be aware the gestapo won't even allow you to go into the dam area at lentills if you have a boat with a motor that does not comply ie 2st over 6hp and i think 60hp 4st .My son went in for a look and was confronted by ranger and ordered out even tho he was only checking it out and didnt intend to put boat in water
Jim

Luc
07-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi Jim,

No probs, my boat runs a 25/4 Yamaha.

Luc

Luc
17-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Fished Lenthals on Friday 14/11/08 (going left from the ramp) , not a hit for 4 hours fishing.

Dam is full with water level just under the top of the gates.
The water is coloured with very fine silt which will take a while to settle and the weed beds/water lillies are only just getting re-established.

Despite that, as it was my first visit, it was good to have a look at new water.

I'll give it 6 to 9 months before trying again by which time the water plants will be well established.

Consolation prize was 12 barras and 2 giant herrings from spot X between Gladstone & Rockhampton on Sunday morning before heading back to Brisbane.

As a finale, got caught in the storm and took 2 hours to travel the last seventy Kms home. Now trying to dry out the boat, fishing tackle, tent, ect etc ectc.......

Luc