PDA

View Full Version : Tips on fishing Hinze Dam

WildFisHbOy
30-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi guys,

Am keen to have a crack at Hinze soon but have very limited fresh experience. Can I get some recommendations as to lure types (spinner, diving, crank bait etc) and best times to use them at the dam? I will be on a kayak without a sounder.

Any hints and tips would be great. :)

Cheers,

wildfishboy

killitfillit
01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
try some beetle spin/slider combo's cast into the bays or troll small poltergeist halco's over the points. troll spinnerbaits along the deep rockwalls...........good luck

rc@hinze
03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
2 main lures of choice would be a spinnerbait to cast towards the bank and Jackell or G-vibe for trolling and casting in the deeper water. Another great lure to have up your sleeve is a tiny say 25-35mm floater with a small bib that will run just under the surface. Use this amongst or near the grasses. Oh, and don't forget to take a popper or surface lure if your lucky enough to see some good action on top. I use these at any time of the day but the surface stuff tends to be first or last up in the day.- all the best RC

WildFisHbOy
03-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys.

RC can you fish the banks all day or do you have to go deeper during the middle of the day. With regards to fishing deeper do you mean well away from banks in middle or steep drops along the bank etc?

Do the bass school up along the banks? If I hook one is it worth a few more casts in the same spot or keep moving?

Will have to visit the tackle store 2morow :) and hopefully will be into some fish soon!

Cheers

bar raider
03-11-2008, 06:38 PM
went there on Friday and got about 9 bass, 6 just under size on shallow bibs trolling past the points, 2 legals casting jackalls in the bays and one big muther casting a jackall.

rc@hinze
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi again WFB. I have only been fishing Hinze and bass for 2 years and am definitely no expert by any means. I will try to answer your questions.

I fish the banks at anytime during the day. During the day though I prefer the shady banks in warmer months and in winter the banks that have had or get the most sun. I do not fish banks exclusivly but enjoy casting towards some landmark. I particularly favour small "bays" created in the grass. If i have my choice it is to sit close to the bank and actually cast as close to and parallel with it.

By deeper I mean any water over 3m. Hinze gets to 20m in spots so a sounder gives you some useful info. We troll always to our casting spots and we often get double hookups when trolling. This would usually indicate a school could be there so I would definatly go over that spot again or stop and cast into that area. They do seem to school off drop offs at the ends of points.

Dont worry about no sounder. There are lots of great fishy bays to try especially in a Yak. Alot of the fish we get were never seen on the sounder and the ones we see we never catch! Maybe use your paddle to get an idea of the shallower areas so you dont lose to many of your trebled deeper running lures. - Good luck and enjoy the beatiful enviroment you will be in. - Richard