PDA

View Full Version : Which New Plate Aluminium Boat????

T BONE
29-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Well since I have just about given up on spending money on cars after being endlessly stuffed around I have decided to put the savings towards something more fun & worth while (a long term better investment) + upgrading the 4.1m Stacer!

The old boy & I are going half's & are trying to figure out which one will be the best for us. Have a budget of around $40k -$50k max. & have rounded it down to a few -

At the moment its a toss up between the Barcrusher 530C $45K (possibly the 560c if we can get a good deal under 50k), Makocraft Canyon Runner 560 with all the bells & whistles $40k or a Razorline Eclipse Runabout 5.3m around 45k+ extras.

Does anyone own one of the above models or have a mate or whatever that has owned any of these boats & can give some feedback? Any help appreciated as its a task & a half trying to figure out/find the right one! http://www.ausrotary.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Scott nthQld
29-10-2008, 06:44 PM
For that amount of dollars you should also look into the Formosa range, you might be able to get a good deal and pick a 580 CCab for a hair under 50k, or you could downsize a bit and go the 550. Great boats from what I've seen and been in.

Other than that, there's nothing I can add for the other models you are considering.

FNQCairns
29-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Gee for me none of those, where are you and what do you want from the package?

cheers fnq

T BONE
29-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Iam located in Adelaide, so unfortunately the Formosa's are out as there are no dealers for these locally. Had a look at there website & must say the half cab version looks very similar to the Makocraft.

After something that can handle some rough weather if need be & provide a safe/soft dry ride, nothing really larger than 5.5-5.6mt due to storage requirements & budget. Will be wanting to do a variety of bay & mainly offshore fishing.

FNQCairns
29-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Ok here are a few that will suit better IMO, largely because 5.5 is not a big boat: seafarer, Haines Hunter, Yalta and your home grown (I think) Northbank. Others might have some more, if you are after truly good boating those above are it for sure still there are others.

If you are dead set on aluminium plan to let some of the above overall quality of ride and on the water feel go, aluminium does have advantages, mostly near shore for knocks etc. I own a 6m alum so not blinded by either material.

cheers fnq

White Pointer
29-10-2008, 08:45 PM
G'day,

Lots of good late model second-hand boats hitting the market now that things are tightening. Dealer floor plan financing has hit the skids this week so anything in dealer stock more than three months old deserves hard bargaining.

I don't know where you are but shop the whole east coast and be prepared to go and collect your new pride and joy or pay freight.

If you buy a new hull and then select engine and electronics you may be disappointed in the price because the A$ has lost 40% of its value in the last few weeks.

That's why I suggest near new. If you want new, be patient and watch the market.

Barcrusher is a good boat but if you're in QLD don't buy less than 5.6 and aim for 6.1. If you want the best plate boat of the lot, look at this

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2968162

White Pointer

MarkDiver
30-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Jeez, you're lucky having the cash and the choice! Great stuff.
I did have to laugh at your thinking that buying a boat could ever be a 'long term better investment'??? How many boats have you had. You may be in for a surprise unless you were joking of course.
I have to agree totally with White Pointer, look outside the box and be prepared to travel or have a boat delivered. You're chasing a good deal so you must be prepared to negotiate and look further afield. Transport isn't that much when you're talking ~$50K boats.
I have no other valid suggestions on boat choice, I'll leave that to the pro's. Good luck.

Noelm
30-10-2008, 07:51 AM
why not give a sponsor a try (Fisher Boats) they support the site, offer free advice to members they have never met, and I am yet to hear a bad report on one of their products (I do not own a Fisher, so this is not some sort of add for them)

Mindi
30-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Shouldnt comment because it isnt my price bracket but I am only a firm Formosa fan but will only buy one because I cant afford a Fisher. The more I see them the more I drool....no axe to grind either so dont care that they are local or that they support the forum...they just work for me.

Noelm
30-10-2008, 08:32 AM
that's fine Mindi and I agree, (not about the Formosa thing) but this guy is just starting his search, so I was just suggesting why not at least give him/them a crack at his request? no one is forced to buy anything just because they sponsor the site, but if all things work out, then it can only be a good thing for us all.

T BONE
30-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the replies/info so far, have taken the Makocraft out of equation as to be honest the finish on it was very average i.e welding, fittings & general look e.t.c. (hence the cheaper price tag)

MarkDiver - Its been a long time coming & we have been wanting a new boat for around 10 + yrs! Yeah I was only joking when I said 'a long term better investment' but when you compare them to a car that Ive spent close to the same amount on & would be struggling to get half of it back they may hold there value a little better!;D I have had two boats so far (14ft fibreglass & a Stacer 14ft aluminium) & the oldmans built a 22ft half cab. in the past. Whichever boat we go with we will be keeping for a very long time & dont plan on up-grading anytime soon, hence the reason on making 100% sure we make the right decision!

We are limited in our storage space so a cuddy cab would be perfect & nothing over the 5.6mt is about it. The thing we like about the Barcrusher is everything folds down nicely & the on trailer specs. fit our storage needs (just;D).

Will check out the Fisher range too!

Mindi
30-10-2008, 03:31 PM
that's fine Mindi and I agree, (not about the Formosa thing) but this guy is just starting his search, so I was just suggesting why not at least give him/them a crack at his request? no one is forced to buy anything just because they sponsor the site, but if all things work out, then it can only be a good thing for us all.

Oh absolutely Noel I wasnt being critical of you suggesting them...just thinking how good a Fisher would be.... whether they were a sponsor or not. Must have expressed myself badly...Cheers...(another Lotto ticket then off to see Col..haha)

ozbee
30-10-2008, 04:14 PM
cant work out why you would want to buy new when you can get twice the boat with practically no hours on it as the economy starts to bite. some of the best buying bargain in thirty years will pop up soon

backlash08
30-10-2008, 04:51 PM
barcrusher are a quality boat, have owned a 560 and was very happy with it (for a 5.6M boat) now I have a fisher, if you can get a fisher you would but there is a difference in price but worth asking Col for a view for sure
cheers - Craig

nigelr
30-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey T Bone, where you are you could tap into the WA market.
Some lovely platies made over in the west!
Alufarm are made in your own State, I believe.
Goolwacraft if you are up for glass.
Having said this, have to agree 100% with ozbees' comment.
Enjoy your purchase mate!

SgBFish
30-10-2008, 08:35 PM
You might be able to get this for 50K or close to and they are well built.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=W739637502936?BackToResult=true

White Pointer
31-10-2008, 08:08 PM
You might be able to get this for 50K or close to and they are well built.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine/Power/Power-Boats/AdNumber=W739637502936?BackToResult=true

G,day,

This Noble V is an excellent boat but how this ever came to have just 115HP on it is beyond me. It needs 140HP to 150HP. Factor an engine change into your calculations.

The earlier link I sent you is for a Fisher 580 Maxi walk-around cuddy. The testimonials for Fisher boats here speak for themselves. Fisher boats hold their value and the owners don't sell them too often.

Your comments about Barcrusher are also spot on. Great boats and fantastic finish quality. The 560C is routinely shipped from the factory with a Suzuki 140HP. The Yahama 150Hp is supposedly too heavy on the transom but for Yahama fans it's the engine of choice on the 560C. If you find one with a 150HP Yamaha check with the factory and give then a HIN number to see if the transom is up to the extra weight.

Almost finally, you have a choice between the best plate boat in Australia and two other great plate boats. Let us know what you decide.

Finally, you have to tow this and you started the thread with stories about car disasters. All these boats should come in under 2T so you shouldn't need more than over-ride brakes. Only the Barcrusher could get onto a single axle trailer but it would have to be empty on the road. Do a bit of work on these numbers and this story will have a happy ending.

Keep us posted!

White Pointer

walabout
31-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Have you had a look at Pacific Marine they have some WA plate boats there

kzrocky
01-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Why not look at a 529 Stabicraft? $45k

T BONE
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
White Pointer - Must say the Fishers look like a top little rig, will def. keep these in mind!
In regards to the Barcrushers would you know if they are able to be purchased direct from the factory? The oldman would probably want to run with a 115+HP E-Tec motor as funds cant really allow for a 4-stroke + the extra service fee's e.t.c.
As far as towing the thing goes that is not a problem as 100% of the towing will be done by a 07' Toyota Prado Turbo (rated up to 2.5 tonnes).

walabout - Yes went down to pacific marine last week to look at the Goldstars & the Barcrushers. There where only 3 Goldstars in the showroom, very nice boats but the saleman said they are overpriced for a very basic set up & the time you add heaps of extra's e.t.c. would blow our budget.
Thats what we also like about the Barcrushers, everything you need is already there & ready to go. Did us a very good quote on a Makocraft 5.6 canyon runner, but after thinking about it I think he really wanted to get rid of them as they are a very poor quality finished boat & a very basic set up.

kzrocky - Will be checking out the Stabi's next week as alot of people seem to recommend these. Would be after a 5.5 -5.6 if they do one?

nigelr
01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Maybe have a look at these, T Bone, if your thinking along Stabi lines.
Google up typhoon boats, pages from australia.
They do a 5.5m or a 5.7m.
Cheers.

Flex
02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
If you really want the best quality boat for your dollar, why dont you look at getting a Hull made and then do some of the fitout yourself.

You dont need all the bells and whistles on a boat when you 1st get it. plus it adds thousands onto the price. for example you could get a Fisher boat built with even a second hand outboard, fit the sounder/GPS/radio yourself etc.

This way you have a first class plate boat which will last you forever, and when you can save up more cash you can install a new outboard etc.

Ally Jack
02-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Another second hand Fisher for you to look at here
http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats.php?de=41095
A bit longer than what you have been looking at but for the price and age, well worth a look
I would be keen on this boat myself, but need a bit more cabin space for the family

Ally Jack

White Pointer
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
G'day T Bone,

I understand that Barcrusher boats deal in their own name in Melbourne and have a Suzuki franchise. They probably will deal with you from South Australia but still cut your local dealer a commission to look after you.

I reckon you are better off going to a local dealer and establishing a relationship with someone you like and trust. After all you will need to deal with someone for your preferred e-Tec engine option and for instrumentation set up and trailer balance, etc, etc.

Regards,

White Pointer

Col_s
03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Another second hand Fisher for you to look at here
http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats.php?de=41095
A bit longer than what you have been looking at but for the price and age, well worth a look
I would be keen on this boat myself, but need a bit more cabin space for the family

Ally Jack

It was sold weeks ago

Col

Coontakinta
03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
WP, the problem with BC here in SA is that the dealer has a monopoly on them. There were two on metro the other country based about 130km outside adelaide. The later also handle razerline and are a good place to deal with.

The former, kicked up a stink about continually being undercut by the later, quite substantial savings too ( around $8k on 640HT) and the later lost the dealership. Shame in my view. The former, whilst large, does have its detractors who believe they are a swifty lot, so I can see why TB is looking interstate. I would be too.

Your comments on finding and building a good repore with a dealer is spot on though. Couldnt agree with u more, but with a monopoly on the BC there is VERY little in bargaining power. Things maybe changing in this regard with the introduction of sutees into the SA market, but it still remains to be seen.

TB, interesting the various and differing responses betwen here and the other site you've posted this on. Can never have too much information huh, but sure can make for a hard decision.

White Pointer
03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
WP, the problem with BC here in SA is that the dealer has a monopoly on them. There were two on metro the other country based about 130km outside adelaide. The later also handle razerline and are a good place to deal with.

The former, kicked up a stink about continually being undercut by the later, quite substantial savings too ( around $8k on 640HT) and the later lost the dealership. Shame in my view. The former, whilst large, does have its detractors who believe they are a swifty lot, so I can see why TB is looking interstate. I would be too.

Your comments on finding and building a good repore with a dealer is spot on though. Couldnt agree with u more, but with a monopoly on the BC there is VERY little in bargaining power. Things maybe changing in this regard with the introduction of sutees into the SA market, but it still remains to be seen.

TB, interesting the various and differing responses betwen here and the other site you've posted this on. Can never have too much information huh, but sure can make for a hard decision.

G'day,

Getting hard, isn't it? Brisbane has only one Barcrusher dealer, Stones Corner Marine and I enjoyed my dealing with them. But I decided to buy a Fisher because I could build what I wanted until Fisher said, "No, do this, it's works better" and their alternatives made sense and will work better.

When I finished pricing the Barcrusher boat, trailer, motor, options and instumentation I was up for $67K. It still needed another $5K in hull modifications that the factory couldn't do but Stones Corner Marine said they could do it. It was a great boat and I would have bought it if it was just me - but it isn't. The Barcrusher is fishermans paradise but the family would hate it for what we have in mind.

We haven't had any feedback on the Noble V and my suggestion it was underpowered with a 115HP. Perhaps Noble V buyers could comment.

I suggest that you contact the owner of this and come up and drive it.
www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2968162 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2968162)

Check out the website for 580 series Maxi at www.fisherboats.com.au/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=8 (http://www.fisherboats.com.au/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=8)

and talk to Fisher about this boat and the build specification.

White Pointer

T BONE
03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Well we went & had a look at some Stabi's today & was impresssed to say the least. The only thing that wasnt any good was the price tag & the sizes available. Around $40k for a 5.09 (basic unit) & $75k for the 5.89, had nothing in between as we are after a minimum of around 5.5-5.6 & have a budget + the time you added a few of the required fishing extras would be way over. To be honest buying interstate e.t.c is not for us due to work commitments & warranty claims if need be, in short I cant really be bothered!:-[
I would be interested in a Fisher but unfortunately we are limited to 50k at the very max. which I feel is more than enough really. Went back to our Barcrusher dealer & looks like we will be getting a 560C with 95% of the options & a 115 e-tec. Suits our space needs to a tee & really is a boat thats set up for a fisherman & built to a very high standard. The oldmans been out in one a few times before but I havent so will be heading out for a test run later in the week.

MyWay
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Tbone
excellent choice
u will not regret one second
I had BC560 and sold doue building house . and 2 years later i got 2nd BC 560
as you say thay very good boats and optional Well for $$$
for me it dosi all what i wont going ofshore 80 to 90 klm whit mates to estuary or just cruising whit family
very easy to tow and very easy to look after them and
very very good resale

i 'm very happy whit my

cheers myway

White Pointer
04-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Well we went & had a look at some Stabi's today & was impresssed to say the least. The only thing that wasnt any good was the price tag & the sizes available. Around $40k for a 5.09 (basic unit) & $75k for the 5.89, had nothing in between as we are after a minimum of around 5.5-5.6 & have a budget + the time you added a few of the required fishing extras would be way over. To be honest buying interstate e.t.c is not for us due to work commitments & warranty claims if need be, in short I cant really be bothered!:-[
I would be interested in a Fisher but unfortunately we are limited to 50k at the very max. which I feel is more than enough really. Went back to our Barcrusher dealer & looks like we will be getting a 560C with 95% of the options & a 115 e-tec. Suits our space needs to a tee & really is a boat thats set up for a fisherman & built to a very high standard. The oldmans been out in one a few times before but I havent so will be heading out for a test run later in the week.

G'day,

Congratulations on making the hard choice. You will not be disappointed. Let us know what the full specification will be and keep us posted on the progress to delivery, pre-delivery, etc.

Regards,

White Pointer

captain rednut
04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
bluewater alloy boats what else????

Luxyboy
11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Have you seen www.gsmarine.com.au (http://www.gsmarine.com.au)

siegfried
11-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Having spent approx 1000hrs in abc560 originally with 115 2stk and now 140 suzki I can confidently say you will be dissapointed with anything under 140 hp (135 poptimax excluded) beware the E-BOMB;D

Rod_Bender
12-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Bluewater Ally Boats mate. I brought mine about 6 months ago and spents many weeks fitting it out myself to save the big $$$... I spent months test driving about six of the major plate boat brands and settle and Scotty's design and awesome service... Woudl highly recommend them by far...

Wahoo
13-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Bluewater Ally Boats mate. I brought mine about 6 months ago and spents many weeks fitting it out myself to save the big $$$... I spent months test driving about six of the major plate boat brands and settle and Scotty's design and awesome service... Woudl highly recommend them by far...
how is your boat coming along Rod? any pics? yes Scott is great to work along with

Daz

Coontakinta
13-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Dont want to steal T-Bones thunder here, but the decison has been made I believe

http://www.fishsa.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1225270118

kzrocky
16-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Not true.

I went thru the same dilemma for the last months.
I tried outmany boats and finally decided on the stabicraft.
My "original" budget was $40k new. I ended up tossing up between a second hand 589 for $42k or a new 529 for $45k By the way, the 529's name is deceiving as the boat is 5.5m length.

btw I ended up buying a 2nd hand 589, they are few and far between and resale is very good.

Well we went & had a look at some Stabi's today & was impresssed to say the least. The only thing that wasnt any good was the price tag & the sizes available. Around $40k for a 5.09 (basic unit) & $75k for the 5.89, had nothing in between as we are after a minimum of around 5.5-5.6 & have a budget + the time you add........

White Pointer
18-11-2008, 09:23 PM
G'day,

How's it going T-Bone?

White Pointer

Rock Crab
18-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Howdy TBone,

Was the 589 Stabi priced at $75K the super cab version because you can get the normal version (windscreen/bimini) for way less than that - around the $50 - $55K mark by memory. If you haven't already made your final choice I would go back to Adelaide Shores and ask them about this because there is no way the standard 589 is $75K !

Coonta the dealer you were alluding to, PCM, as you well know, are the ultimate mob of sharks and personally I would steer way clear of them.

A couple of years back I was in the market for a new boat and I was comparing the Stabi 559 with the BC 560. After going on test rides and comapring the 2 IMO there was not a lot of difference in ride but stability on the stabi was far better. Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up getting the Stabi 559 fully decked out for $42500 whilst the sharks at PCM wanted $50 K for the BC 560 and this was a demo boat and no way on earth would they bargain with you.

in the end it was a very easy decision and 1 I certainly haven't regretted going with the Stabi - brilliant boats from across the Tasman !

Cheers

Shaunh
28-07-2015, 06:10 AM
Bring up an old thread as only just joined up and being going through these. In the market for plate boat too and I checked out the barcrusher 670HT at the factory and to be honest I left wondering where the hell is the 100 grand going that they want for it!

Smithy
28-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Yep I'd be buying something older 2nd hand with a 2 banger cheap then putting a brand new 4 stroke on for piece of mind and having a big toy budget for good electronics, trim tabs, autopilot etc.

PatricsOnTheCoast
28-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Are Fisher boats now origin boats? I can't find a website for Fisher boats anywhere... If not the same company, how do origin boats compare?

Rodpal
06-08-2015, 12:45 PM
not sure that white P is with origin anymore, also rumoured that origin is on the move nth ??

most rumours are denied until proven, so would be great to hear from the origin camp regarding Wp and (if/ where) they are moving next.

wasn't col.s one of the partners in fisher when they went broke, now one of the partners in origin, is that the same person ? or has me got me leader in a tangle ...

chez Rod

White Pointer
10-08-2015, 06:15 AM
G'day.

I am still very much a part of Origin Boats as are my fellow shareholders who started the Company back in 2009.

There are no plans for a move. We will continue to operate from Unit 2, 33-35 Grice Street, Clontarf.

Origin Boats remains focussed on building its extensive range of plate aluminium boats and trailers and providing maintenance, repairs and refurbishment services.

Inquiries to info@originboats.com.au

Regards,

Stephen Minslow (aka - White Pointer)
Director - Origin Boats

KingyKing
11-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Heard a rumour that col is no longer with Origin Boats?

Rodpal
14-08-2015, 09:07 AM
thanks for your pm and opportunity of private discussions white pointer however think it best you let the cat out of the bag and present how you guys intend managing things moving forward before the rumour mill winds out of control

best regards
rodney

Prowl n Wolf
14-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Hey Rodney,
Is Col still building elsewhere? Only ask as I've a mate who needs some mods done to his fisher he just picked up.

KingyKing
14-08-2015, 11:49 AM
I was told he did a runner up to Mackay and is opening up again.

White Pointer
14-08-2015, 05:14 PM
thanks for your pm and opportunity of private discussions white pointer however think it best you let the cat out of the bag and present how you guys intend managing things and moving forward before the rumour mill winds out of control

best regards
rodney

G'day.

I didn't know there was a cat in the bag. Col'sresignation from Origin Boats is common knowledge and as an employee, he wasentitled to resign.

There seems to be some misconception that Col had a stakein the business other than as an employee. That is not the case and neverhas been.

Origin Boats will continue to be run by the owners whoestablished it in 2009. The same MarineArchitects will do design work, the same suppliers will supply raw materialsand finished parts and the same dedicated employees will build the boats.

Tony Dummer is the new Sales Manager at Origin Boats (tony@originboats.com.au (tony@originboats.com.au)). Tonyhas extensive experience in the industry in manufacturing and sales roles andis a valuable addition to our team. We have also started a new employeein our finishing section.

It’s business as usual at Origin Boats but with renewedvigour and enthusiasm to continue to improve and evolve the range and standardof our boats and trailers.

Stephen Minslow (aka White Pointer)

White Pointer
14-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Hey Rodney,
Is Col still building elsewhere? Only ask as I've a mate who needs some mods done to his fisher he just picked up.

Origin Boats is still interested in repairs, updates, refurbishments and maintenance. We would be pleased to quote.

Regards,

Rodpal
14-08-2015, 07:14 PM
well ... no disrespect however I do not appreciate being lied to.
there is more to this story then wp has presented and i'm sure this is a very unsettling time for those that have put money in and are getting their boat finished atm.

this all sounds a little familiar.... warning shot across the bow me thinks ... all the best of luck to all concerned (boat owners more so)

wonder what the next company will be called ....

regards
rod

Greg P
14-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Tell us all about your theory Rod

ngc1955
29-09-2015, 08:49 PM
S what is the latest information on Origin Boats, I have heard they have liquidated

Prowl n Wolf
30-09-2015, 05:13 AM
Origin Boats is still interested in repairs, updates, refurbishments and maintenance. We would be pleased to quote.

Regards,

I've got to say that having shut the doors under two months of your reply blows me away.
How does that happen? Not having a go, just interested how a reputable business still giving quotes and 2 months later shut its doors?

Chris Tucker
30-09-2015, 07:41 AM
In White Pointer's defence of course they were still quoting 2 months before they closed their doors. If you want to trade your way out of trouble you do it by actively seeking work, not by circling the wagons and scaring people off.

snapperbasher
30-09-2015, 07:44 AM
G'day.

I didn't know there was a cat in the bag. Col'sresignation from Origin Boats is common knowledge and as an employee, he wasentitled to resign.

There seems to be some misconception that Col had a stakein the business other than as an employee. That is not the case and neverhas been.

Col's linkedin page shows him as the Managing Director of Origin Boats......that's a little more than just an employee isn't it?

Rodpal
30-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Col's linkedin page shows him as the Managing Director of Origin Boats......that's a little more than just an employee isn't it?

yes oddly enough " the col as an employee " is paid out and now building again while other employee entitlements have not been honoured

hainsofast
30-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Go to Moda Marine, mate of mine just got a boat built by him and it is absolutely beautiful

hainsofast
30-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Shane makes a great boat

Khunaus
30-09-2015, 05:59 PM
I have over the last two days been to look at both Moda and Performance Plate Boats. Not having that much experience in this, and just going by my visits, my impression is Moda have the better overall structure and finishing work of the two boats, but both builders look the goods when all said and done. I need to wait on pricing from both of them to see how they compare though. (i'm just chasing a small centre console)

spelchek
30-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Go to Moda Marine, mate of mine just got a boat built by him and it is absolutely beautiful

Seconded. My mates moda is now a couple (few?) years old and still looks like new. Eats Moreton/Hervey Bay chop for breakfast.

Rodpal
30-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Honestly .... 4.2 WB for the passage work (pay for on day of pickup)
Haines 655 200 zuk for outside (IMHO)(off the shelf) (pay for on day of pickup)
Moda are also off the shelf unless you want something slightly different but then you only pay a deposit upfront and balance on pickup (plus motor - electrics etc but you actually own them)
Brendale performance plate boats (great guy) (owner operator with strong track record) only charges deposits for work completed as progress pmts (awesome boats and finish)

Khunaus
02-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Ive been hunting around for a plate boat and have spoke to Moda, performance plate but they don't seem to interested in a 5 mtr console.. i.e. its not their bread and butter.

With that said i'm wondering if anyone has recently purchased a Noble boat, and if so whats the quality like? i know there were some issues and having lived and worked in China, i know how it works, but you can get both really good and real poor things based on the level of oversight. has their quality and finish improved?

Cheers

Prowl n Wolf
02-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Hey mate,
Have a look at AMM (Australian master marine) built in Brendale. They have a new range in that size.

Chris Tucker
02-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Ive been hunting around for a plate boat and have spoke to Moda, performance plate but they don't seem to interested in a 5 mtr console.. i.e. its not their bread and butter.

With that said i'm wondering if anyone has recently purchased a Noble boat, and if so whats the quality like? i know there were some issues and having lived and worked in China, i know how it works, but you can get both really good and real poor things based on the level of oversight. has their quality and finish improved?

Cheers

I'm going out on a limb here because unlike most I post under my own name. But the last Noble story I heard was from a qld dealer who had to refund the full buy price to the client because the boat had so many issues it couldn't be cost effectively rectified by a local builder.

With regards to 5m platies contact hammerhead boats. 5m boats are very much Gerard's thing.

Khunaus
02-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Thank you. Nobles photos on the web page look he goods but i am really not sure if they are from days past, but i don't think i will go that way anyway given i want this boat to last 15+ years. I'll give both of the suggestions a try. I live 5 mins from Moda so hope they get back to me, but will certainly look up the other guys.

Cheers

Shaunh
02-10-2015, 11:26 PM
Moda just posted pics of a 5.2m plate they made

https://www.facebook.com/modacustomboats?fref=ts

Rodpal
03-10-2015, 08:02 AM

Cheers

You should also have a quick sqizz at the sea rod series by Formosa in the 5.2m, they also do custom options

Cheers Rod

Tim_N
03-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Also check out Ralf Lewinski's Compass Alloy boats, bloody awesome.
Phone 0417-212 694.
Ralf has worked for Fisher and Bluewater in the past, but has been out on his own for quite a few years now and he does a terrific job and is a really nice honest bloke too.
Tim

Rodpal
03-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Also check out Ralf Lewinski's Compass Alloy boats, bloody awesome.
Phone 0417-212 694.
Ralf has worked for Fisher and Bluewater in the past, but has been out on his own for quite a few years now and he does a terrific job and is a really nice honest bloke too.
Tim

mmMMmm, there's a guy up here that got a 5.8m CC made by Compass boats , no complaints but then your flat out getting a hello out of him at the best of times hehe ;D ... great workmanship and very nice ride 8-) 8-)

lippa
04-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Rebel Is smashing out a heap in the 5 meter range atm