PDA

View Full Version : advice and help on buying my new boat plz!

joshagius
28-10-2008, 11:06 PM
g'day all my namei s josh i am 22 and just have got my boat licence and i am wanting to buy a new boat. i have been saving for a while and have saved up 15k. i am fairly new to the boating world i have never owned a boat but i have been on plenty of boats threw out my life.

At the moment i am looking at a boat made by quintrex called the 430 estuary angler 2008 model. I have done my shopping around and have found the one i like for 14k. It includes full package quintrex boat with 40hp 2 stroke mercury engine with electric start power trim and tilt and a trailer. it is a painted hull and includes includes bimini cover, anchor well , 2 padded swivel seats, padded rear beench seats, navigation lights, fishfinder with depth sounder, safety gear, trailer and boat registrations. you can find the boat on the quintrex website but is not the same one i am buying as the one i am buying has added extras.

my soal purpose of this boat is just for fishing and maybe towing the odd mate on an aqua plainer. I have been looking at second hand boats but have decided on buying a new one as i do not want to buy something i will regret or a lemon. i can see myself having this boat for the next 10 years atleast as fishing is a big part of my life and want a boat that i know has and will be looked after properley.

If anyone has any information or advice about this boat, or about if you think for the money i am spending it is worth what i am getting it would be greatley appreciated.

Thank you all
and happy fishing 8-)

Robbo_Townsville
28-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Mate its a credit to you that at your age you have managed to save that amount rather than pi*%ing it up against the wall.

Think long and hard about buying brand new, plenty of good 2nd hand tinnies out there that have already depreciated. If it is brand new you want and this is the boat you want, buy it.

finding_time
29-10-2008, 12:17 AM
I agree with Robbo! There is alot to be said in buying a new used boat , specially in the current market! I would be looking for a boat with under a 100 hours on the clock and well presented.

Ian

Ps. do a search on quintrex's on the site , as some owners of new quinnies feel they have in fact brought a brand new lemon, with little factory back-up

blue_mako
29-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Mate I would suggest you save a little more if going for a new boat, 4 stroke engines a much better choice and a hull that is more versatile and built stronger.

If you do get a quintrex they have a great yellow paint job, a custom lemon!

Troy

MyEscape
29-10-2008, 05:01 AM
The type of outfit you've described is probably a good one to start boating with. Easy to handle either by yourself or with a mate/girlfriend. Cheap to run and if you're not paying it off, then it costs nothing to sit in the shed (as it does!!)

I've had four boats and ended up with a 4.35 Seajay Escape with a 40hp Yamaha. So after 4 I ended up with a package similar to your first one.

The package you're looking at will probably get some responses, and not all of them good based on previous threads on the manufacturer. But, it's all a personal opinion in the end.

Although you've said you wanted to buy new, there's a lot to be said on a late model boat, slightly used under 20hours or so. And there's lots around in that category. Especially at the present time. Really a buyers market.

Steve

coucho
29-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Josh,
how sure are you that you will be satisfied fishing the river for a long while? Are you sure in twelve months when your boating skills develope and the lure of chasing big offshore fish on the close reefs is strong will you still be happy heading up the creek to chase flatties and bream?
Mate for 15k I would be looking at something second hand and a little more versitile remember you can still take your 4.5m high sided centre console up the river but i know which one i would rather be at sea in. You may well have thought this through but I thought I should raise the question anyway.
Also don't be too affraid of second hand boats just chaeck them out well before you buy. I hav never owned a brand new boat in my life and never had a lemon yet. Now cars on the other hand!!!!

Jeremy
29-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I agree with Coucho, you sure you are going to want to spend the next 10 years fishing rivers and estuaries? Nothing wrong with buying a cheap boat, using it for a year or two and then selling and upgrading. You will lose alot of money buying a new tinny with 2 stroke and selling it in a few years.

Worth a thought.
Jeremy

scrubba01
29-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree with the common train of thought in this thread, buy second hand with low hours (under 200) try to get 4 stroke if possible but with a motor that size not a huge issue. Its mainly if you want to go on a few of the dams as well, they are talking about banning 2 stokes. If possible I would hold off a while longer as with the current financial situation there will be some very good boats coming up for sale from people who don't use them and need the money. You get a lot more boat for your dollar buying second hand.

Good luck and I hope you get what you want.
PS. Be careful boat buying is addictive once you get one you'll want a bigger one, I'm sure plenty on here will agree with me.:D

Ocean_Spirit
29-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Mate its a credit to you that at your age you have managed to save that amount rather than pi*%ing it up against the wall.

Think long and hard about buying brand new, plenty of good 2nd hand tinnies out there that have already depreciated. If it is brand new you want and this is the boat you want, buy it.

It takes a lot of hard-work and long hours! But when you love boating, and grow up with a dream of owning your own boat, it makes it all worthwhile. Not so long ago, like you, I was 19 when I saved and bought the old Seafarer, and put it through a full old-for-new restoration. Relied on good honest advice from a couple of very helpful professionals here in QLD who are a credit to the industry, and it has been a great boat and brought many good happy to date.

I would think that 4.0Mtr to 4.5Mtr is a perfect size with a 30 - 40HP. It is a great sized hull, and even if you ultimately go bigger, you will probably want to try and hang onto this size boat as it allows you to do so much. Most important consideration is to invest in good quality products to start with (trailer / hull / engine) as a foundation. I wouldn't be deterred from a later model small fibreglass boat for the benefits you may pick-up in ride and handling. You can always add electronics, covers, fishing accessories later when you can afford them. You often work out what you want, actually need and do not need this way. Next step is to find a house, go fishing every weekend, and you'll be a happy man!

Mindi
29-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree with Coucho, you sure you are going to want to spend the next 10 years fishing rivers and estuaries? Nothing wrong with buying a cheap boat, using it for a year or two and then selling and upgrading. You will lose alot of money buying a new tinny with 2 stroke and selling it in a few years.

Worth a thought.
Jeremy

Spot on....pay 8-10 for a good used one, get two or three years out of it and then buy a better one selling the first for 6-8.............you ALWAYS want a better one after a few years

Tri N Hard
29-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Mate buy a good s/hand boat first, let someone else loose the depreciation on it instead of yourself, cause u will want something bigger and better after 12 month

joshagius
29-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I agree with Robbo! There is alot to be said in buying a new used boat , specially in the current market! I would be looking for a boat with under a 100 hours on the clock and well presented.

Ian

Ps. do a search on quintrex's on the site , as some owners of new quinnies feel they have in fact brought a brand new lemon, with little factory back-up

Thanks for the advice but how am i ment to know that wat they are telling me is true about the hours used on the engine ? and is a marine check worth getting if i am series about buying a boat i find ?

joshagius
29-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Mate I would suggest you save a little more if going for a new boat, 4 stroke engines a much better choice and a hull that is more versatile and built stronger.

If you do get a quintrex they have a great yellow paint job, a custom lemon!

Troy

thanks for the advice i am not really in the position at the moment to save much more and probably wouldnt feel very comfortable spending more that 15k on my first boat so 15k is probably the most i would spend.
about the comment about quintrex's being a lemon are you not a big fan of them from a pesonal view or just word of mouth. wat is wrong with them ?

joshagius
29-10-2008, 05:38 PM
It takes a lot of hard-work and long hours! But when you love boating, and grow up with a dream of owning your own boat, it makes it all worthwhile. Not so long ago, like you, I was 19 when I saved and bought the old Seafarer, and put it through a full old-for-new restoration. Relied on good honest advice from a couple of very helpful professionals here in QLD who are a credit to the industry, and it has been a great boat and brought many good happy to date.

I would think that 4.0Mtr to 4.5Mtr is a perfect size with a 30 - 40HP. It is a great sized hull, and even if you ultimately go bigger, you will probably want to try and hang onto this size boat as it allows you to do so much. Most important consideration is to invest in good quality products to start with (trailer / hull / engine) as a foundation. I wouldn't be deterred from a later model small fibreglass boat for the benefits you may pick-up in ride and handling. You can always add electronics, covers, fishing accessories later when you can afford them. You often work out what you want, actually need and do not need this way. Next step is to find a house, go fishing every weekend, and you'll be a happy man!

thanks for the advice 4.0 to 4.5mtr is the sizes i am looking at i dont really want anything biger than that for my first boat. i was leaning more towards a tinnie rather than fiber glass just because i have heard that they can be nocked around alot more than a fiberglass boat if mistakes are made ? do you think that the boat package i am looking at is a good started package for someone like me even if i look for the same style in the second hand market ?

finding_time
29-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Josh

As far as motor goes, find a boat that you like, work out a price subject to inspection and pay for a motor inspection, on a four stroke or newer 2 stroke they will be able to tell you the boats history!

As for quintrex do a search on here! start with this one!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=134465&highlight=quintrex

Ian

finding_time
29-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Josh

Forgot to mention that a good second hand boat will also have all those little bits and pieces that you will get anyway adding thousands to your purchace. eg. sounder ,safety gear, bilge pumps etc!

ian

joshagius
29-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Josh,
how sure are you that you will be satisfied fishing the river for a long while? Are you sure in twelve months when your boating skills develope and the lure of chasing big offshore fish on the close reefs is strong will you still be happy heading up the creek to chase flatties and bream?
Mate for 15k I would be looking at something second hand and a little more versitile remember you can still take your 4.5m high sided centre console up the river but i know which one i would rather be at sea in. You may well have thought this through but I thought I should raise the question anyway.
Also don't be too affraid of second hand boats just chaeck them out well before you buy. I hav never owned a brand new boat in my life and never had a lemon yet. Now cars on the other hand!!!!

Thanks for the advice to be honest wat your saying is true after my boating skills have developed the lure of catching big fish will grow in that said wouldnt the boat i am looking at be able to get out the heads on a quiet day e.g on the hawkesbury or out at pittwater on the borthern beachs even tho it is an estuary angler. wat do you think of the type of boat package i am looking at wheather it be new or from the used market . is there any other brands and types of boats you could suggest as a good boat to start out in?

joshagius
29-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Josh

As far as motor goes, find a boat that you like, work out a price subject to inspection and pay for a motor inspection, on a four stroke or newer 2 stroke they will be able to tell you the boats history!

As for quintrex do a search on here! start with this one!

Ian

cheers ian thanks again !! GEEZZ looks like alot of people have bad opinions about quintrex boats ! Is it really true about welds cracking within the first 3 years i kind of find that hard to believe about a boat that is brand new from a shop and having it crack within the first 3 years of purchase as said in above link.

this has really got be doubting my descison on wat boat to buy and has confussed me even more ! i thought quintrex were are really well know good boat ? could it be these people boat driving skills or them trying to use there boat for more than it is built to do ?

finding_time
29-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Josh

To me i looks like ( i dont own one) the factory has many tradesmen( welders) some good some no so good. If youlucky you get a boat worked on by a capable tradesman, if your unlucky the poor tradesman did the job!

The big problem seems to be if you do get a bad one Telwater ( quintrex) dont want to know you! That imho is a big problem!

Ian

Mrs Ronnie H
29-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Josh
We recently purchased a new boat- picked her up on Saturday. My advice is to think long and hard about it before you rush out and buy it. We bought second hand - fibreglass with inboard and although it was great at the time we couldn't wait to see it go.

We started planning our new boat in February and now are very happy with the final result.

Whatever you get you are the one that has to be happy with it and if the boat above is what you want then have no hesitations.

And Josh-- Its nice to here of someone your age so level headed and responsible. To save that much money is a credit to you.

Ronnie

PinHead
29-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I like the idea of having a new boat as it is all under warranty..something is wrong..they fix it.
As for Qunitrex being lemons...yes there have been a few posts about problems with some of them but there are a lot of them on the water...could be interesting to see how their percentage rates of faulty manufacture compre to say Holden or Ford.
The most important thing when buying a boat is to buy what YOU want...not what others advise you to buy. Take on board whatever tips you have been given but ultimately it is YOU that have to be happy with YOUR purchase.

joshagius
29-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I like the idea of having a new boat as it is all under warranty..something is wrong..they fix it.
As for Qunitrex being lemons...yes there have been a few posts about problems with some of them but there are a lot of them on the water...could be interesting to see how their percentage rates of faulty manufacture compre to say Holden or Ford.
The most important thing when buying a boat is to buy what YOU want...not what others advise you to buy. Take on board whatever tips you have been given but ultimately it is YOU that have to be happy with YOUR purchase.

well i have done alot of research and for the money i have i thought the quintrex estuary angler 2008 model with 40hp was the boat for me and i really like it but after hearing all these storys about welds cracking and companys not fixing them it has scared the crap out of me

Braddles
29-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Josh I am excited and its not even me buying the boat!

Some awesome advise here from other ausfishers.

I really know what you mean regarding risk of second hand. The lurer of bigger, nicer, safer, more seaworthy boats is tempting....

But you have your heart set on the rig specified. I think its a great set up for what you want - and you said yourself - you dont want any bigger.

Also, as you have identified, Fibreglass boats are a lot less forgiving with knocks and bumps both on run agrounds and around ramps and docking at pontoons etc, and historically dont age well (rot and general decline in structural integrety) as compared to aluminium boats. There is the positive though that a glass boat will be smoother riding, but then use more fuel as heavier for size.

Second hand engines - Well I am in the medical field - and know little about mechanics - so I wont go there... suffice to say I have been caught with my share of lemons.... And the "nicest" people (both private and dealers) turn into scum when things go wrong from my experience. It amazes me the lenghths some will go to cover up things.........

Look there are exceptions to all of this - but I will say this - If you had a really awesome boat, with low hours, and a solid hull, would you sell it? On the balance of probability - probably not. If you had a lemon - would you want to sell it - on the balance of probability - HELL YEAH!

I will be brave and say <50% on the market are genuine sales (upgrading etc) - but I also assure you 50% at least would be dodgie, botched up jobs that are being unloaded, or at the very least becoming tired and venturing into time bomb zone / money needing to be spent.....

SO.,....

If matter of factly, if you want a gamble (which it ultimately is)- go second hand... YOu can reduce your chances by inspections of motor and boat, buying from larger dealer etc - but at the end of the day there is no assurance.

Otherwise - for peace of mind - I would buy new. Depreciation is not going to be a factor for you anyway. A 15K boat brand new, will be worth around 11K tomorrow, but then you will still get 8-9 for it in 5 years time if well looked after. If you keep it for 10 years like you say - at 1K a year - for peace of mind... who cares?

Best of luck... sorry if I have confused you more....

All just my humble opinion too of course.

Regards,

Brad.

joshagius
29-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Josh I am excited and its not even me buying the boat!

Some awesome advise here from other ausfishers.

I really know what you mean regarding risk of second hand. The lurer of bigger, nicer, safer, more seaworthy boats is tempting....

But you have your heart set on the rig specified. I think its a great set up for what you want - and you said yourself - you dont want any bigger.

Also, as you have identified, Fibreglass boats are a lot less forgiving with knocks and bumps both on run agrounds and around ramps and docking at pontoons etc, and historically dont age well (rot and general decline in structural integrety) as compared to aluminium boats. There is the positive though that a glass boat will be smoother riding, but then use more fuel as heavier for size.

Second hand engines - Well I am in the medical field - and know little about mechanics - so I wont go there... suffice to say I have been caught with my share of lemons.... And the "nicest" people (both private and dealers) turn into scum when things go wrong from my experience. It amazes me the lenghths some will go to cover up things.........

Look there are exceptions to all of this - but I will say this - If you had a really awesome boat, with low hours, and a solid hull, would you sell it? On the balance of probability - probably not. If you had a lemon - would you want to sell it - on the balance of probability - HELL YEAH!

I will be brave and say <50% on the market are genuine sales (upgrading etc) - but I also assure you 50% at least would be dodgie, botched up jobs that are being unloaded, or at the very least becoming tired and venturing into time bomb zone / money needing to be spent.....

SO.,....

If matter of factly, if you want a gamble (which it ultimately is)- go second hand... YOu can reduce your chances by inspections of motor and boat, buying from larger dealer etc - but at the end of the day there is no assurance.

Otherwise - for peace of mind - I would buy new. Depreciation is not going to be a factor for you anyway. A 15K boat brand new, will be worth around 11K tomorrow, but then you will still get 8-9 for it in 5 years time if well looked after. If you keep it for 10 years like you say - at 1K a year - for peace of mind... who cares?

Best of luck... sorry if I have confused you more....

All just my humble opinion too of course.

Regards,

Brad.

Thanks for the advice brad i never thought buying a boat would be as hard as it is ! i am just very glad for this website and all the feedback i have got from everyone on the site.

i think wat you said about printing out the stuff about the boats that have gone wrong is a good idea and will deff get the dealer to try and write up a written contract if i decide to go with quintrex after i have heard all the dodgie storys. There is still afew other compaines to look at in my price range for the same style of boat as brooker, stesco and afew others which they all seem to offer simillar models i guess it just would be nice to find out which company has the better workmanship !

If i was to buy a second hand boat i probably wouldn't buy anything past 2006 just in the hope that nothing cant have gone serously wrong in the past 2 years.
but deff would not buy with out inspection. i guess i will just have to think hard and hope more people reply to my post and offer more great advice

White Pointer
29-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice to be honest wat your saying is true after my boating skills have developed the lure of catching big fish will grow in that said wouldnt the boat i am looking at be able to get out the heads on a quiet day e.g on the hawkesbury or out at pittwater on the borthern beachs even tho it is an estuary angler. wat do you think of the type of boat package i am looking at wheather it be new or from the used market . is there any other brands and types of boats you could suggest as a good boat to start out in?

Josh,

Ahh! So you are fishing out of Pittwater. A beautiful part of the world. This is where I grew up and got into boating. You are in a deep water harbour and most inside beaches are sandy without exposed rocks. Don't hesitate to buy a glass boat down there. If you bruise it, get it repaired and perfect your launch and retrieve techniques.

I've been out in a few storms in Pittwater and it can get up some serious chop when it's hard to know where the sea is coming from. I was down at Easter and crossed from Brisbane Waters across the face of Lion Island and had 2M swell from NE and cross waves from SE with a lot of the NE breaking to white water. I was driving a big boat so it was just fun but some of the smaller boats were having to tack course to avoid waves over the transom.

I reckon that advice from the place you use your boat is the best advice you will get so consider going a local fishing or boat club before you spend your hard earned. This is what I did at about your age in Pittwater. I finished up as crew for the Port Stephens game fishing festival on a 38' cruiser that I was allowed to use when I wanted for the price of full tanks of fuel on return. I was regular crew on a 22' racing yacht for sail tuning that used to take all Saturday night and we would quit at dawn. I was fit and healthy and had something better for my mind to do on weekends than be an accountant.

Enough of me. Follow the advice of other posts and buy second-hand on the basis that you will want to be off-shore in about a year. Seek local advice through AUSFISH or local clubs. If you need help with this send me a PM and I can help you with local contacts.

White Pointer

Jeremy
30-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Brad.

That is a BIG call. You must have alot of experience to say that (I am not being sarcastic).

On the other hand, poor welding and cracks or a 'lemon' outboard should be readily apparent after 2-4 years use. A good inspection will pick these up. Also if they can provide receipts of all service costs and work done, you should be in a position to smell a lemon.

All just IMHO.

Jeremy

Ocean_Spirit
30-10-2008, 03:18 PM
A older version of one of these would be great:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5382215

Haines Signature / Seafarer have a new boat out now to called the 4.85 Vantage that can apparently be setup from $15,000 as a tiller package. From what I have heard, these are a very solid, strong performing small boat.

There is a test here from the latest Modern Boating:

http://www.modernboating.com.au/boat_tests/boat_tests/1/683/Fishing-for-superlatives

Thing is, I have a 4.2Mtr Seafarer glass boat that was built in the late 1960's that I completely restored. It is a very robust, solid boat. Even when I had the tinnie before it, I wouldn't run it up onto ramps or rocks. In saying that, as your first boat, perhaps aluminium may be more suitable for starting-out.

Other considerations are two vehicle, trailer, etc. Getting a good trailer matched to your hull is just as important as anything!

nigelr
30-10-2008, 03:46 PM
G'day Josh.
Well done for saving, 15k cash is gold at the moment.
You should be able to buy a very, very nice boat with that amount.
Try and take your time (difficult, I know!) and try and get someone with some knowledge of boats to go with you and check a few out.
They will be able to point out little things for you to look for when making your selection.
Don't forget the trailer is also a consideration!
I'd go against the run and say for your first boat a tinny may well be a better bet, won't ride as smooth as a glass job but at least you won't have your heart in your mouth every time you launch/retrieve in less than perfect conditions.
I have a 4.2 Stessco, which, while they have copped a bagging big time on this site, mine has served me very well to date. Having said that, the finish is rough compared to that on say, a Bluefin. Mind you it was cheaper, so you certainly get what you pay for.
IMHO, a 40hp would be way more desirable than a 30hp.
Cheers mate and enjoy your purchase. Keep your eyes open, times are tough and getting tougher, there is a very good chance someone will need to sell a quality boat that will be perfect for you.
As mentioned, a good low-hours used boat should have all the kinks ironed out, be well set up, and maybe have a sounder and some extra fruit as well.

joshagius
30-10-2008, 04:49 PM
G'day Josh.
Well done for saving, 15k cash is gold at the moment.
You should be able to buy a very, very nice boat with that amount.
Try and take your time (difficult, I know!) and try and get someone with some knowledge of boats to go with you and check a few out.
They will be able to point out little things for you to look for when making your selection.
Don't forget the trailer is also a consideration!
I'd go against the run and say for your first boat a tinny may well be a better bet, won't ride as smooth as a glass job but at least you won't have your heart in your mouth every time you launch/retrieve in less than perfect conditions.
I have a 4.2 Stessco, which, while they have copped a bagging big time on this site, mine has served me very well to date. Having said that, the finish is rough compared to that on say, a Bluefin. Mind you it was cheaper, so you certainly get what you pay for.
IMHO, a 40hp would be way more desirable than a 30hp.
Cheers mate and enjoy your purchase. Keep your eyes open, times are tough and getting tougher, there is a very good chance someone will need to sell a quality boat that will be perfect for you.
As mentioned, a good low-hours used boat should have all the kinks ironed out, be well set up, and maybe have a sounder and some extra fruit as well.

cheers for the advice i think now with alot of thought i will deff be getting alluminium hull as my first boat until i get my confidence and experience up. and have now been dettered from buying a new boat as of the current finacial sittuation in australia and going at the chance someone might be selling a boat which i could snatch up at a good price i guess i will have to keep my eyes in the papper and prey for the best am stll a bit confused on wat brand to go with as there are so many to choose from and i know little about all of them.

joshagius
30-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Josh,

Ahh! So you are fishing out of Pittwater. A beautiful part of the world. This is where I grew up and got into boating. You are in a deep water harbour and most inside beaches are sandy without exposed rocks. Don't hesitate to buy a glass boat down there. If you bruise it, get it repaired and perfect your launch and retrieve techniques.

I've been out in a few storms in Pittwater and it can get up some serious chop when it's hard to know where the sea is coming from. I was down at Easter and crossed from Brisbane Waters across the face of Lion Island and had 2M swell from NE and cross waves from SE with a lot of the NE breaking to white water. I was driving a big boat so it was just fun but some of the smaller boats were having to tack course to avoid waves over the transom.

I reckon that advice from the place you use your boat is the best advice you will get so consider going a local fishing or boat club before you spend your hard earned. This is what I did at about your age in Pittwater. I finished up as crew for the Port Stephens game fishing festival on a 38' cruiser that I was allowed to use when I wanted for the price of full tanks of fuel on return. I was regular crew on a 22' racing yacht for sail tuning that used to take all Saturday night and we would quit at dawn. I was fit and healthy and had something better for my mind to do on weekends than be an accountant.

Enough of me. Follow the advice of other posts and buy second-hand on the basis that you will want to be off-shore in about a year. Seek local advice through AUSFISH or local clubs. If you need help with this send me a PM and I can help you with local contacts.

White Pointer

Thanks for the advice mate i think as it is my first boat i am going to buy a alluminium hull as it is alot better boat to start out on to learn and practice my boating skills. and think i will be buying second hand to try and get more boat for my dollar but have it well checked out before i buy it. could you sugest any second hand boats no older than 2003 that imight be able to buy for 10 - 15k that would be alright around lion island and off beachs like long reef were conditons are a bit ruffer ? as for assistance from someone with buying a boat i dont really know anyone with experience on buying boats so this website is the best assistance i have. if you could suggest some boats to look at that are strong well built boats that would be greatly appreciated than you.

nigelr
30-10-2008, 07:15 PM
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2993664
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2993670
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5758687
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2993947

Couple of adds for you to look at Josh, if you haven't seen them already.
Do you have a car, these are spread out a bit.

First one appears to be repainted, might be a bit big though at 5mtres. The motor age would need to be determined, and the overall hull condition. Trailer looks a little iffy tho' hard to tell. Would definitely bargain this one down a bit, I think 10gs is a bit rich at the mo.....
Second one looks and sounds very good. Sounder is sub-standard, but that is no big deal.
Third one is a very nice little centre console indeed, all new but no electronics.
Last example is a very nice runabout, nice wide side decks, 50hp motor, and a few extras thrown in.

Just some adds to look at to see what you could get for your hard earned, an older half cab, two nifty runabouts and a nice new centre console.
Hey Josh, I grew up at DY, I've seen some pretty small boats launch off Fishermans in the right conditions. I've also had some hairy surfs at Brownwater when a decent NE swell is on........

Cheers.

Chimo
30-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Joshagius

Have had a look at the posts and without a doubt there is a wealth of knowledge spread over this group.

In your situation, it is likely to get more and more difficult to make up your mind which as Pinhead said is what you have to do.

So, as a GOM with a few boats under my belt, might I suggest you consider the question of what to buy from a slightly different perspective.

There is no doubt that you will get more value if you buy second hand and that includes the engine. This brings in another frequently asked question on this site which is what engine to buy. Many of us with a bit of experience have worked out that most engines are OK but the point of difference is the service ie the marine technician who you will charge with looking after your engine and ultimately your safety. Get a good technician, support him, develop a relationship which benefits both parties and see how easy life can be. Trust is king!

So why not start there? Either ring or better still be introduced to marine technicians in your area and work from there. Don't know where you are located but the odds are that where ever that is someone on this site will be near you and will be able to send you in the right direction.

Talk to the tech about what you want and I'd be surprised if you didn't get pointed at some rigs to consider. Remember this guy is not going to stiff you because firstly someone on AF introduced you and secondly more that likely he is going to end up with repeat business from you so why would he want to bugger that up.

Pay particular attention to the trailer regarding, tyres, wheels, bearings, springs, shackles, the hitch, lights and wiring, the winch, the rollers and or skids and the brakes if it has them.

Often even new rigs are supplied on under rated trailers with rubbish under rated tyres so buying new gives no certainty in this regard either.

I'm not even going to suggest a specific boat to you as you probably need to do a bit more research first. That said by the time you do make a move you will be a lot more confident a much more likely to avoid disappointment and long term hassels.

We are all looking forward to see what you end up with, so read up on how to minimize and then post pics on the site so you can share.

Cheers
Chimo

White Pointer
30-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the advice mate i think as it is my first boat i am going to buy a alluminium hull as it is alot better boat to start out on to learn and practice my boating skills. and think i will be buying second hand to try and get more boat for my dollar but have it well checked out before i buy it. could you sugest any second hand boats no older than 2003 that imight be able to buy for 10 - 15k that would be alright around lion island and off beachs like long reef were conditons are a bit ruffer ? as for assistance from someone with buying a boat i dont really know anyone with experience on buying boats so this website is the best assistance i have. if you could suggest some boats to look at that are strong well built boats that would be greatly appreciated than you.

G'day,

I'm making a couple of inquiries in Sydney with family in the boating industry - but not selling what you are looking for. Be patient for a few days and I'll come back to with a name of someone who will help you and has nothing to sell.

White Pointer

joshagius
30-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi Joshagius

Have had a look at the posts and without a doubt there is a wealth of knowledge spread over this group.

In your situation, it is likely to get more and more difficult to make up your mind which as Pinhead said is what you have to do.

So, as a GOM with a few boats under my belt, might I suggest you consider the question of what to buy from a slightly different perspective.

There is no doubt that you will get more value if you buy second hand and that includes the engine. This brings in another frequently asked question on this site which is what engine to buy. Many of us with a bit of experience have worked out that most engines are OK but the point of difference is the service ie the marine technician who you will charge with looking after your engine and ultimately your safety. Get a good technician, support him, develop a relationship which benefits both parties and see how easy life can be. Trust is king!

So why not start there? Either ring or better still be introduced to marine technicians in your area and work from there. Don't know where you are located but the odds are that where ever that is someone on this site will be near you and will be able to send you in the right direction.

Talk to the tech about what you want and I'd be surprised if you didn't get pointed at some rigs to consider. Remember this guy is not going to stiff you because firstly someone on AF introduced you and secondly more that likely he is going to end up with repeat business from you so why would he want to bugger that up.

Pay particular attention to the trailer regarding, tyres, wheels, bearings, springs, shackles, the hitch, lights and wiring, the winch, the rollers and or skids and the brakes if it has them.

Often even new rigs are supplied on under rated trailers with rubbish under rated tyres so buying new gives no certainty in this regard either.

I'm not even going to suggest a specific boat to you as you probably need to do a bit more research first. That said by the time you do make a move you will be a lot more confident a much more likely to avoid disappointment and long term hassels.

We are all looking forward to see what you end up with, so read up on how to minimize and then post pics on the site so you can share.

Cheers
Chimo

cheers for the advice i will take that all into account a try and find some people on the northern beachs of sydney that are willing to give some advice and help a young bloke out.

joshagius
30-10-2008, 08:58 PM
cheers white pointer your a great help mate.

Leglicker
02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Josh, as the saying goes 'you cant put an old head on young shoulders' but the consensus of advice is to buy right with a newish 2nd hand. When you get on the water you will see others go by in their boats and start dreaming of an upgrade. The first few boats I bought in the early 70's were new but since the early 80's everything has been 2nd hand and I have always been able to sell and get my money back or make a profit for my efforts. When you finally find the holy grail you won't have gone broke in the process! Good luck to you in your search for your first boat but don't forget to turn over every stone and take 'eddy the expert' with you to keep a lid on the emotion!

White Pointer
03-11-2008, 10:53 PM
cheers for the advice i will take that all into account a try and find some people on the northern beachs of sydney that are willing to give some advice and help a young bloke out.

G'day Josh,

I am told that the Sydney and NSW economy is dead and boat dealers have no floor traffic. Nobody has any money to spend down there.

Apparently there are lots of boats that might suit you in Sydney's western suburbs doing nothing and haven't moved for months. The suggestion is that the Trading Post is the best source of pricing and possibly a buy. I am still chasing someone to assist you but suggest yopu look at the Sydney Trading Post and then post prospective options on this website for member's comments.

Regards,

White Pointer

White Pointer
04-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Josh,

Still looking and sounding out. Your initial boat was an estuary boat and I would not recommend taking it through the heads at Pittwater. Not a good prospect coming back if the weather turns.

Have a look at Stacer 420 Seahawk and let me know what you think as a starter boat. It's still a fair weather boat. There are 2002 to 2004 models advertised on the net in your price range that look pretty good.

Comments from other AUSFISHers about this?

White Pointer

joshagius
04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Josh,

Still looking and sounding out. Your initial boat was an estuary boat and I would not recommend taking it through the heads at Pittwater. Not a good prospect coming back if the weather turns.

Have a look at Stacer 420 Seahawk and let me know what you think as a starter boat. It's still a fair weather boat. There are 2002 to 2004 models advertised on the net in your price range that look pretty good.

Comments from other AUSFISHers about this?

White Pointer

yer i have been looking at the trading post and every possible site that boats are sold on to try and find something havent really seen much i like ! ahh ok so you wouldnt even take the estuary angler off around lion island and stuff like that im not talking about k's out into open water dont you think it would be alright on calm days ? were did you find you information on the estuary angler ?

thanks mate let me know if you got osme more advice for me cheers.

joshagius
04-11-2008, 10:44 PM
sorry mate also telwater make both quintrex and stacer and to be honest i cant realy notice much difference between the sea hawk and the estuary angler do u know wat the diference is ? were you saying you could take the sea hawk out further than the estuary angler ?

White Pointer
05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
sorry mate also telwater make both quintrex and stacer and to be honest i cant realy notice much difference between the sea hawk and the estuary angler do u know wat the diference is ? were you saying you could take the sea hawk out further than the estuary angler ?

G'day,

Estuary boats are river boats and are designed for minimum draft. They simply will not handle a sea. They do not respond well to steering in a sea and if you are not careful it is easy to get turned broadside to a wave and swamped.

Pittwater and up along the Hawkesbury is a huge waterway and an estuary boat will be fine inside except in rough weather. The beat from the lighthouse up to Scotland Island can be hell in a small boat if a good Sydney southerly blows up. The saviour in Pittwater is that, in some places, you can hug the shore are stay a bit drier than we can up here on Moreton Bay where there is nowhere to hide.

Both Quintrex and Stacer brands have a range of estuary boats as well as a range of "entry level" sea going boats. I think you will find that the Stacer 420 has a deeper hull at the bow entry and that is more likely to keep it stable and steerable in a bit of a sea.

The Stacer is not a recommendation to buy, it's a recommendation to look. I'll research this further on the weekend for you and come back to you.

I noted your earlier comments about avoiding F/glass because of the risk of damage. Can I suggest that you look at this again and also at polycraft. The extra weight of these makes more stable sea boats but they do need a bit more engine (therefore fuel) to run them.

Keep looking. I'll come back to you.

White Pointer

finding_time
05-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Josh

To back up White pointer do have a look at poly crafts. I mate of mine owned a 4.5cc, what a great little boat, it had a 50 4 stroke on it and was very capable around moreton bay and very capable offshore for a little boat, several times he's had his 40km's offshore( not that i'm recomending you do this he's very experienced) but the boat was up to it, they appear tough as teak and would be very resistant to rocks and ramps !

Ian

finding_time
05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Ok josh you could look at doing this

An older poly with a 2 stroke, now it's slightly underpowered but you could sell the 2 stroke for what ever and put this on the back, it would be pretty good for the money and it's a new motor!

Boat
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2955904

Motor

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-gear/boatdetails.aspx?R=6096738

It's a little over budget and you would have fit cost as well but you would get a bit of money from the sale of the 2 banger. There are plenty of options out there and it may just mean look out of left field a bit!

Ian

joshagius
06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
cheers guys ill go look check some out and see what i think that polly craft seems like a bit more of a fishing boat im kinda looking for something to relax in and to fish in kind of an all round boat keep the information coming tho your all a big help thank you very much.

BOMBIE
07-11-2008, 09:46 PM
joshagius . buy 2nd first up then when you know what u need / require then buy another 2nd hand again cause most manufactors dont care what happens once u take it off the lot & in QLD they dont need/require to

tin can marlin
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I must say josh well done for saving up you should never borrow to buy a luxuy item imo. I would say that spend 8 to 10 get on the water keep sving and in a coulpe of years get a bigger boat after you have the bug. Good luck and you do what feels comfortable to you after all it is your hard earned and if there was more people like you the world ecomny might not be in the sh&t it is currently in. Regards Mark

White Pointer
08-11-2008, 10:52 PM
G'day,

Josh, I'm being told to stay away from tinnies for o/shore around Pittwater.

Here are some prospective solutions. Consider the prices to be negotiable by around $1,500 in the current market.

The first 3 are Polycraft and I like the 1st one best.

The second 3 are Stacers. The 2nd of these is appealing because it looks well cared for and way below your budget. The owner may be prepared to help you on the water with some training.

The third (Stacer 480 Bay Fisher) is the minimum that a Stacer dealer tells me you want to take outside.

The last two are Cox Craft. Regarded as very sea-worthy and dry boats. These are "Rum Runners" but the larger "Reef Runners" command much higher prices.

Regards,

White Pointer

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2961583 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2961583)

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6216737 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6216737)

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2985273 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2985273)

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6398341 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6398341)

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2998196 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2998196)

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6413279 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6413279)

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5737065 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5737065)

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5830099 (http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=5830099)

Lovey80
10-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Josh I was in your position a few years back. I spent a long time deciding on what I wanted and needed. Had a similar budget and needs to you. I ended up buying a Webster twinfisher 4.3CC. PM sent

Cheers

Chris

joshagius
16-12-2008, 11:10 PM
cheers to everyone for your help i ended up buying a 2006 model quintrex 435 coast runner for 16,000 and i couldnt be more happier with my choice thanks for everyones advice enjoy your fishing i know i will

coucho
17-12-2008, 06:30 AM
well done Josh and nice choice should serve your needs well.

joshagius
17-12-2008, 06:45 PM
yer couche i think it will serve my needs well thanks for the advice about buying second hand you were right and i have got alot more boat for my money buying second hand also with a bit of warinty left too cheers mate have a good one.