PDA

View Full Version : Where to get petrol in the bay??

BenDover
28-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

But after I upgrade to my new (untrailerable) big boat. Where are the places in moreton bay to fill it up? I have never really noticed as i've never had to use 1. Just stop at the servo with my trailerable boat on the way out. And is it much more expensive than a normal servo?

BD

Dory4.1
28-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Ben,

The marina at Rivergate, downstream from the Gateway bridge sells fuel. Perhaps you could get away with taking a couple of jerries full each time you go to the boat and keep it topped up. I'm betting that the fuel price at a marina would make a good talking point. Good luck with the new boat.

Rgs
Michael

Outsider1
28-10-2008, 07:10 PM
There are fuel wharves at Manly and Raby Bay that I know of. Diesel plus unleaded pumps. Price is about 10 to 15c a litre over service station prices normally.

Cheers

Dave

BenDover
28-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Hmm 10 - 15c more. I think i can live with that. Not really much different to the normal servo price differences then is it :). How much fuel would a 9 metre power boat use for a trip from viccy to moreton and back? Will 2 jerry cans = 40 litre be enough?

Razgo-
28-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I think i paid 1.68c at horizon shores the other day when i put in 100ltrs.

usage will vary depending on rpm's, tides, winds etc...

my 10m timber boat can vary from 4-5ltr/hr at 900-1000rpm to 13-20ltr/hr from 1200-15000rpm.

on-one
28-10-2008, 07:51 PM
not sure where you're keeping the boat but marinas typically won't let you refuel from jerry cans, and I suspect you may need more than 2

Razgo-
28-10-2008, 07:55 PM
not sure where you're keeping the boat but marinas typically won't let you refuel from jerry cans, and I suspect you may need more than 2

as long as your at the fuel dock you can. Just not at the berths.

BenDover
28-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Agreed, The last thing i want to worry about on a day out fishing and site seeing on my boat is how much fuel i have left. But i dont really want eccess weight either. It holds a rediculous amount! So i will be able to gadge how much after a few trips.

Thats my next question on-one, How much is 1 of those moarings at coochie? Cant I just anchor it anywhere I like and leave it. There's still heaps I need to find out. And no one better than you guys.

Razgo-
28-10-2008, 08:33 PM
mooring cost about $38.00 per year. there was an initial cost i think of over $100.00 from memory. I have a mooring at coochie. Well i have a mark and i think there is an apparatus there as i haven't checked yet. I got a quote of $2,600 to drop in a mooring apparatus from Pelican Waters i think they are called.

/edit just found the link to mooring rego http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Waterways/Buoy_moorings/

what sort of boat do you have?

trueblue
28-10-2008, 08:52 PM
what sort of boat is it?

BILLY THE KID
28-10-2008, 08:55 PM
my 10m timber boat can vary from 4-5ltr/hr at 900-1000rpm to 13-20ltr/hr from 1200-15000rpm.

pretty good fuel consumption at those revs ;) ;D

BenDover
28-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I dont have it yet razgo. I want a searay sundancer 9m. I think i wont be able to get it untill next financial year. But i dont think i can wait that long :). Its good to find out all this info before hand. Ill check out that site. But the basics of it is - You apply for a mooring or something where you want to harbour your boat. And then pay $2600 for the mooring apparatus? Then is it free after that?

BrewGuru
28-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Scarborough Marina was 1.96 per litre for Diesel, I needed 200 litres smuggled Jerry cans under the cover of darkness.
I use about 10 litres per hour from Scarby to Tanga's travelling at 8 knots , 1600 REVS AND 20 TONNE AND 46'

Razgo-
28-10-2008, 09:02 PM
typing in the dark again :) that last number should read 15-20ltr/hr at 1200-1500rpm not 15000rpm :) it goes faster and better fuel econ since i put on a K&N air filter on too. got 20KM/hr out of her the pother day :)

i think my boat is approx 5-6tonne

Razgo-
28-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont have it yet razgo. I want a searay sundancer 9m. I think i wont be able to get it untill next financial year. But i dont think i can wait that long :). Its good to find out all this info before hand. Ill check out that site. But the basics of it is - You apply for a mooring or something where you want to harbour your boat. And then pay $2600 for the mooring apparatus? Then is it free after that?

after you pay the initial fee and then pay for a mooring to be installed then it's a yearly fee of approx $39.00 i think.

from msq

restricted mooring A$105.50 (initial assessment fee of A$65.90 plus 12 months occupation A$39.60)

BenDover
28-10-2008, 09:08 PM
thats a BIG heavy boat brewguru...

David H
28-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi there Bendover,

A searay sundancer would most likely come with a big V8 petrol motor, so I dont think that 40 lts wouldnt get you very far.
I have a 7 metre Bertram fitted with a 5.7lt 260hp engine and uses 35 lts of fuel per hour at a cruise speed of 38 kms/hr. Typically a trip from Manly harbour to Tangalooma and a little bit of running around whilst over there, then back to Manly would see me using 80lts of fuel.

There are 2 places tofill up in the manly boat harbour, one at the royal yacht club via pre paid cards, and the other is at the manly trailer boat club. As others have already posted, its about 15 c/lt dearer than the servo.

Hope this helps

Regards David.

BenDover
28-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Thats a big help David H, cheers mate. Yes a big V8 :). Some with twin V8 inboards! Any thoughts or advice on these boats? This is essensially what i want.

http://www.boatingservices.com.au/ed.php?de=42413

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2965337

1 has twin v8's and the other single. different years. There are many sundancers all along the east coast for sale.

PinHead
28-10-2008, 09:39 PM
lots of things to take into account when buying a sports cruiser of that age...the main one..engine risers/ heat exchangers. Another is the toilet...make sure it is not a straight out into the water type..it is illegal to use them now..must have a holding tank and pump out facility..preferably with a macerator.
Also check the wiring ..the wiring on these boats is concealed in a lot of places and can be rubbed through...mate had his boat burn to the waterline years ago with exactly that problem.
As for fuel consumption...I had MPI V6's...they drank about 30l/hour each when running at about 26 knots.

PinHead
28-10-2008, 09:40 PM
the Chaparral I had was a well built and comfortable boat ..could be a few of them around also in the older models.

BenDover
28-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Now, im getting somewhere :). That fishing platform with the rod holders and bait board on the more expensive 1. Thats an extra hey...? So i can say buy the cheaper 1 and fit that to it. Any idea of price for that?

PinHead
28-10-2008, 09:49 PM
oops..another thing to check..bellows on the leg...get a hell of a lot of water in if it lets go.

David H
28-10-2008, 10:14 PM
BenDover,

Dont know much about the searays, but i have learnt a bit about mercruisers and sterndrives through bitter experience !!

Mine has cost me over $4200 in repairs in the first 12 months.

$1800 for leg service and replacement of exhaust bellows and scraper rings on the hydraulics.

$2400 for new exaust manifolds and risers which I fitted myself. This could have been a lot worse if the motor had siezed. I have since found out that these are a consumable item and last a maximum of 5 years but have heard of some people having to replace them after 2 years.

All this from a bot that had been well maintained ..... apparently !!

My advice come time to purchase, if the manifolds and risers have not been replaced recently, then beat down the asking price accordingly, and then still expect to spend $$ on repairs every year.

I wish i still had an outboard !!!

Regards,

David.

ozscott
29-10-2008, 08:24 AM
David makes a good point. My mate has a Reef Runner with an inboard and is copping a flogging with leg maintenance - the legs alone are worth a fortune and they have bellows and 2 sets of ball jointed angles to consider. I know of a few blokes that express David's sentiments that they wish they had stuck with an outboard.

Cheers