PDA

View Full Version : which engine for my 4.35 kakadu ? 30, 40, efi, carb, 2stroke, 4stroke ?

dooley
27-10-2008, 09:32 PM
While i'm in between boats i figure i'd ask for opinions on a new engine for my 4.3m kakadu tinny.

the boat is a tiller steer and at the moment has a 30hp 2st suzuki that's about 15yrs old - good engine but i'd like a change.

was thinking a 4 stroke but i don't want to put too much weight on the back - most 40 4 strokes are about 100kg with trim and tilt - too heavy in my books.

was thinking either a merc 30 4 stroke or a 40 merc or yammie 2 stroke.

the extra hp would be nice as my current engine struggles a bit with 2 ppl on board, electric, batteries etc but i really don't want to put too much weight on the bum (or am i just over worrying).

any ideas?

cheers,
d

FNQCairns
27-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Does your 30 share the same block as the 40? if it does it's a good goer!

you may not find another that size to compete with it. Look for a 40 with the same block as the 50 in whatever brand you choose.

cheers fnq

rooboy98
27-10-2008, 09:53 PM
G'day Dooley,

Are you talking about the Allycraft Kakadu Karrier range or the Stessco Kakadu Karriers?

Roo.

dooley
27-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Does your 30 share the same block as the 40? if it does it's a good goer!

you may not find another that size to compete with it. Look for a 40 with the same block as the 50 in whatever brand you choose.

cheers fnq

no mate - the 30 i have shares its block with the 25

the prob with the 40/50 in a 4 stroke is that they are a little too heavy - at the moment when i slow down too quickly i get the surge coming over the splash well so i'm reluctant to add more weight to the back if i can avoid it.

any more weight on the back would be a detriment, especially since myself, the cranking battery and live bait tank all sit very close to the transom.

thats why i was thinking say a 40hp 2 stroke might be the go or maybe a 30hp efi merc

cheers,
d

FNQCairns
27-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Ok i had a DT40 once it was a little powerhouse, I down sized to a Johnson 30 because i was a fool and it was a total slug in comparison, if any of the 2st engines you consider have the same CC as the DT 40(or near to the same but with an extra cylinder) it may impress you compared to the 30 on it now IMO. Any 30 you find that doesn't share the same block with a 40hp will amount to nothing more than just swapping colours, the 3cyl 30s are nice compared to the 2 cyl ones though with a little better power on average but not enoought to make worth changing brands without a good reason.

cheers fnq

MyEscape
28-10-2008, 05:54 AM
I have a 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke on my Seajay 4.35 Escape.

Tiller ster, electric start, trim and tilt on the tille handle, oil injected. Absolutely a brilliant motor.

My hull weighs 281 kilos, plus fuel (60ltr tank). Also has a minn kota on the bow with battery for that as well. So there's a bit of weight all up. Very happy with the performance. Flys actually.

Steve

Noelm
28-10-2008, 07:45 AM
I would reckon any of those options you mentioned, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, efi, Carby whatever, as long as it is enough HP and does not over load the Transom, then you are set.

Ally Jack
28-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Dooley,
I think that the 40 2stk would be the best option in the brand that suits you.

The 4 strokes are great, very quiet and good on fuel but overkill on small tinnies IMO. I am currently selling my 4.5mtr tinnie with 50 4stk to downsize to 4-4.2mtr for storage reasons at home, and I’m looking at going back to a 2stk. I’m looking at spending less on the motor this time, and spend the money saved on another bow mount electric.

If you do a lot of trolling or travel long distances where the quietness and fuel efficiency come into it, then go for the 4stk.

Ally Jack

MyEscape
29-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Ok it's been said beforethat 4 strokes might be beter than 2 stokes for trolling. With an oil injected 2 stroke (which I have) should this be a problem, particularly considering in a tinny the amount of trolling probably isn't the same, in terms of hours, as in an off shore setup.

Steve

Noelm
29-10-2008, 07:40 AM
nope, what you have will be fine.

rooboy98
29-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I currently have a 4.1m Kakadu Karrier with a Honda 40 on it. It goes pretty well, with more than enough grunt. Fuel economy is great as the engine isn't working real hard most of the time. The engine is right on the weight limit I suppose for a boat this size but I haven't had any dramas. (Other than a little bit of water going into the splashwell if you slow down real quick, like you mentioned earlier).

The previous owner originally purchased the boat with a Honda 30 fitted but traded that motor back in on the 40 not long after buying it. Not enough grunt for what he was doing apparently.

I would go the 40HP on a boat that size (2 or 4 Stroke-not buying into that one) if you are doing any longer style fishing trips with a bit of weight on board. Better to have that little bit of extra grunt when you need it, rather than having to flog the engine when you have it loaded up a bit more than normal. I don't think there would be a massive weight difference between say, a 30 & 40 2 stroke anyway.

Just my opinion,
Roo.

ozbee
30-10-2008, 08:28 AM
check out the new fuel injected Honda they are a lot lighter now .new model was released in july,5 year warranty also,brand doesn't matter much there all good though resale value for a conventional two stroke would be very low.

one point dont muck around there will be massive price risers coming with the fall in aussy dolar.$$$$$$$$$$

dooley
02-11-2008, 10:06 AM
thanks for the replies

at this stage i think the 40hp 2 stroke yammie is a prime candidate.

one thing that i really like with my current engine is the fact that it is both electric and manual start - if the battery is flat i can still go fishin.

the 30hp etec and merc efi are candidates but i reckon the extra hp that a 40 gives is what i need.

the downside to the 40hp yammie/merc/honda four stroke is the extra 20kg on the transom and the lack of a pull starter.

cheers,
d