PDA

View Full Version : Reef anchor

Chamelion
27-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Looking to buy a reef anchor, but unsure what size I should purchase. My boat is a 4.4m glass runabout.

Cheers :)

Matt.

Noelm
28-10-2008, 08:29 AM
just as a guess, maybe a 5/16 anchor, but make sure you have a good length of chain, and cut the prongs back to make them much shorter, depending on whether you have a "big" 4.4 metre, you may go up to 3/8 perhaps, but not likely.

The-easyrider
28-10-2008, 09:20 AM
This might something that everybody knows , but I dont , why cut the prongs back

Noelm
28-10-2008, 09:28 AM
because when you buy them, the prongs are about 5 times longer than they should be,(well almost) when they are long, they just straighten out with no effort at all, I Anchor a 20' Cat with a 1/2" reef Anchor, but the prongs are very very short! looks a tad funny, but trust me it is the only way, it does not have any affect on "hooking up" ability. don't know why someone does not make good reef picks and be done with it, I guess they are just made as cheap as they can make them.

foxx510
28-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Don't make the prongs too short though, or they are just too hard to bend. Ours need to be longer, the anchor is a real pain to free.

Chamelion
28-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Hmm didn't read this before heading out.. I was sold (on reccomendation) a 1/2", sounds like it's way too chunky? Should I exchange it for a smaller one on the way to the ramp in the morning or is bigger alright?

foxx510
28-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Maybe if it's easy to exchange. Might be hard to bend off the reef otherwise if it gets stuck. It depends on the length of the prongs though too, longer prongs have more leverage and are much easier to bend.

Chamelion
28-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Prongs are pretty long.. ill give it a go, worst case I lose $20. If she gets a little stuck I'll just have to gently reverse the boat to get it out?

revs57
28-10-2008, 10:00 PM
G'day Matt,

I had a 3/8 reefy on my 4.5 mt tinnie a few years back, you don't need to cut the prongs back, just ben the last 75-100mm on the end.

Neol's rig is much bigger and heavier and needs the extra holding power - its a lot different in a smaller tinnie

Cheers

Rhys

White Pointer
28-10-2008, 10:06 PM
G'day,

Any comments about using SARCA anchors on reefs? It's a lot of $ to lose if you can't get it up but I'd welcome feedback on how they work on reefs and stories of grief!

White Pointer

finding_time
28-10-2008, 10:41 PM
G'day,

Any comments about using SARCA anchors on reefs? It's a lot of $ to lose if you can't get it up but I'd welcome feedback on how they work on reefs and stories of grief!

White Pointer

I know plenty of fishermen that have had sarca's and lost them, fact is you can and will get any anchor stuck, why use an anchor that is that expensive!

I use a tripped plough, it holds on mud, sand , rubble, reef, and rocky reef allowing for accurate anchoring and when it gets stuck, well there not that expensive!

ian

Ps. it's usually the chain that get snagged not the pick in my experience and i have dived for a few over the years.

Chamelion
29-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Wow, how in buggery do I bend the prongs in the first place? They're stronger than I am!

Matt.

Chimo
29-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi Matt

To bend the prongs you either carry a m length of water pipe or push the prong your straightening down against the floor of the boat.

There is no way IMHO you would want to use a sarca or anything other than a light reef anchor on a reef to hold your boat. What you need to get your head around it the fact that a length of chain about the length of you boat is the key to getting a (light ) anchor to hold.

Next pls dont just stop or even worse while still moving just throw the anchor chain and warp into the water. You do need to "Lay" you anchor which means that after you decide where you want the boat to end up you need to determine the flow of the water and the impact of the wind and and then move the boat to the anchor point, lower the anchor so as to not tangle it in the chain or the warp and then back the boat towards to point you chose earlier.

Don't ever pull a stuck anchor by tying it onto the stern (back) of the boat and trying to use the motor to loosen it, this is a good way to pull the stern under water and sink your boat. :-[ Dont bother reversing out to free you anchor either, you need to motor forward. Even if an anchor gets stuck you still motor forward but only after you untie it from the bow bollard and drop a number of turns of warp around the bow bollard and you just hold the warp so if the bow starts to get pulled down you can release the warp.

To retrieve your anchor get yourself an anchor retriever which is a foam ball to which is attached a stainless steel split ring that you slide onto your anchor warp (rope) a bit like the old split ring key ring. Then slowly motor forward at about 30 degrees off from where the anchor lies. The ss ring slides along the warp and the monmentum of the boat pulls the float and ring down until it reaches the chain and anchor which it then lifts to the surface. Then stop the boat and grab the warp out of the side of the boat and hand to hand it into a bin on the rear floor. To anchor up again do the same as earlier but feed the anchor, chain and warp out the side as you back up. You dont need to worry about the bow as the the anchor warp is still secured onto the front bollard as you originally set it.

Hope you dont think I am trying to teach you to suck eggs ;) but when you asked about bending the reef anchor prongs it sort of opened the door!

My 6.2 Vagabond is usually well held on reef by the smaller of the 2 reef anchors I carry with about 6 m of chain and 12 mm silver warp. Althought the rule is that you are supposed to let out warp 3 times the depth I would rarely use more than 1.5 or 2 max and thats in about 40 m of water. I often fish alone so the anchor retriever is a must as there is no way to retrive an anchor over the bow while driving onto the anchor at the same time given that the boat has no anchor winch.

Good luck with your boating and have fun.

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
29-10-2008, 07:12 AM
bending the prongs is a bit of a trick, pipe will do it, but if it slips and it is a cold morning, there is nothing quite like a couple of squished fingers, Jesus that hurts, I have used the bow rolloer to bend mine, it seems to be just the right thing to do them, or I have a Bollard on one side that is also just right when the prong of stuck under it and jammed against the deck (I have a bit of rag to stop damage) that also works a treat, Chimo is very right in his instructions, do not get to were you want to be and hurl over a pile a chain and rope (and anchor) and expect it to just work like a hand brake!!! if you want a pretty exact spot, then motor up wind/current a good distance, lower the Anchor to the bottom while actually at idle in reverse, this gets it all "laying" out rather than falling in a heap on the bottom, after it takes up and you get a "hold" let out enough rope to get to your spot.

disorderly
29-10-2008, 07:40 AM
G'day Matt,

I had a 3/8 reefy on my 4.5 mt tinnie a few years back, you don't need to cut the prongs back, just ben the last 75-100mm on the end.

Neol's rig is much bigger and heavier and needs the extra holding power - its a lot different in a smaller tinnie

Cheers

Rhys

As above just bend the tips of the prongs...1/2 is too stiff for most...difficult to dislodge and hard to bend again....go lighter and what Noel mentioned about using a bollard to bend the prongs is also what I do.

Chimo also does a nice job of explaining the anchoring process.....wise words indeed :) (you tend to make a fine art of anchoring when fishing solo ;)).

Scott

Malcolm W
29-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Looking to buy a reef anchor, but unsure what size I should purchase. My boat is a 4.4m glass runabout.

Cheers :)

Matt.
Hi Matt, Is your area all reef? From an environmental point of view you should try and avoid anchoring on reef if you can. A danforth, sarca or plough anchored in the sand is best if possible. Then allow enough rope to drift back on your favourite reef.

Noelm
29-10-2008, 10:54 AM
geees don't start with environmental reasons not to anchor a Boat, we have enough to worry about now!

Malcolm W
29-10-2008, 01:31 PM
geees don't start with environmental reasons not to anchor a Boat, we have enough to worry about now!
Hi noelm, I didnt mean to give a reason not to anchor, just to consider the alternatives. I am an authorised assessor for skippers tickets in WA and one of the questions provided by the Dept of Infastructure is exactly about this subject on where you should anchor. If you nominate reef the answer is wrong. Having said that it is not illegal to do so in most spots. I try to discourage it to not give the environmentalists a reason to have a go at us. We are going through big changes/restrictions over here currently. As a fishing/boating group we need to show that we are responsible( refering to WA boaters). Sorry if I worried you but I just thought this would be a consideration of many ausfish members no matter where you lived. I do agree that the reef is more vunerable in certain areas than others.

suzygs1000
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, if you fish the North Qld reefs, you have to anchor on the reef.

I use a 5/16" reef pick for a 20" plate, and have NEVER had the prongs straighten and let go when anchored. I have a piece of 1'' al pipe about 450 long, which bends the prongs with ease.

I always have problems lifting the pick, but it is usually the chain that gets stuck on the coral.

I know guys up here who don't use chain on the reef - they have home made reef picks with very heavy shafts ( 50mm round and about 400mm long), with very light and short 5/16 prongs, and reckon they have no problems at all.

Much better for the coral too, but pity help any fish it hits on the way down!

Might try that.

I only ever use a float - tried once to get it off without the float, but nearly broke my back.

Dave.

tin can marlin
08-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Some very good points pping up here