PDA

View Full Version : transducer mount spraying water everywhere

yellahunter
27-10-2008, 07:07 PM
hey guys,

i recently installed my sounder on the boat and upon taking it out sunday realized that the tranny is causing a major headache.

Basically when ever you start to move at speed water flys all over the place covering the outboard and filling the rear of the boat.

Is the mount in the right place.... or is it too close to the outboard...?
perhaps i need to raise the tranny....? only thing is it might be out of the water i i raise it too much..

pics below,

any advice is appreciated

trueblue
27-10-2008, 07:26 PM
you need to decide on proper placement of it for proper sounding, but separate to that it will need a spray cover. (You can get them from any major boating supply shop)

Cheers

Mick

yellahunter
27-10-2008, 07:29 PM
you need to decide on proper placement of it for proper sounding, What do you mean here...? I was under the assumption that it was going to sit on the tranny mount when i screwed it in..

but separate to that it will need a spray cover. (You can get them from any major boating supply shop ok so they are available, Im assuming the spray they generate is a common problem then.....?

ive never seen anything like this..

foxx510
27-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I think trueblue means that if it is adjustable then it should be just low enough in the water that you get a good picture at all speeds. If that means it is throwing spray then you'll need a spray cover.

Blaster Bretty
27-10-2008, 07:37 PM
just check out the placement of the transducer, it needs to be about halfway with level to the bottom of the boat, that means half of the tranny is under the boat and half of it is up in line with the transome with the transducer pointing ever so slightly downwards towards the rear.
the trick is to have the transducer at such a level that when you get on the plane the transducer will be skimming on the water about half in and half out, not actually totally immersed in the the flow of water coming from under the boat while on the plane. This set up should still give you a fair indication of water depth while at speed.
Usually the reason water sprays all up + over the place is because the transducer is being dragged under the water while on the plane (not too good for it either coz one day it may get ripped right off)
Can somone correct me if im wrong here please but im pretty sure this is sort of how it goes.

Bretty

Blaster Bretty
27-10-2008, 07:44 PM
yeah i suppose a spray cover may fix it but my transducer sprays on the plane too but not bad enough to actually come into the boat, I can get good average water depths even at about 50km but as we all know fish finders working on the plane will only ever give you an average depth of the ground you are covering unless your offshore in 100 foot of water , then you may still get to see a bit of structure.
I only ever fish estuaries and river's so I have to come off the plane to find a good pic on structure otherwise I will plane around until a definate BIG hole is passed over,then i'll go back and cruise over it slowly to have a looksie ( by which time the fish have usually long goooooone LOL)

Bretty

Gilli
27-10-2008, 07:48 PM
the rule of thumb that i go off is that 1cm of the transducer is hanging below the bottom of the boat, so it still reads when i am going at any speed. i to get water spray up but it doesnt come in the back of my boat or hit my motor.

Blaster Bretty
27-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Hmmmm yeah im with Gilli here too. as I said mine still sprays too but no where bad enough to get any on motor or in boat.
On ya gilli!!

Bretty

Gilli
27-10-2008, 07:54 PM
cheers mate. give us a yell if you need a picture of how i have done mine, more than willing to help

cheers,
Gilli

WildFisHbOy
27-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi yellahunter,

Is that a humminbird transducer? I have one and had trouble with the spray also. Try some electrical tape rapped around the bracket arms. I was given this advice on this site a little while back. The idea is to cover the hole/gap above the transducer. This is where the spray comes from. It worked a treat on mine. I can put the tranny at any depth without the big spray.

Anyways give it a try, at worst you waste a little tape.;)

Cheers,

wildfishboy

trueblue
27-10-2008, 08:17 PM
anything that sprays at all on the back of the boat needs a spray cover because the spray gets sucked into your air intake which does engine damage over time.

cheers

Mick

trueblue
27-10-2008, 08:18 PM
What do you mean here...? I was under the assumption that it was going to sit on the tranny mount when i screwed it in..

You will have to play with the transducer height to get it to read properly at speed. You may also have to adjust the angle.

cheers

Mick

yellahunter
29-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks heaps for the tips guys,
maybe its slightly too low,

il bring her up a smidgen and fit a spray cover,

cheers,

Ben

Blinky
29-10-2008, 12:13 PM
If it's a Humminbird series 700 transducer the only way to stop it spraying all over the shop is to install a splash guard.

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1ojk6A.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1ojk6A)

Gilli
29-10-2008, 07:46 PM
hey mate, not meanin to be picky but from previous experience and also from what people have told me, the transducer should be mounted on the 3rd strake(rib on bottom of hull) away from the motor. Correct me if im wrong, just what ive been told and always gone off.

cheers,
Chris

finga
30-10-2008, 06:21 AM
If it's a Humminbird series 700 transducer the only way to stop it spraying all over the shop is to install a splash guard.

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1ojk6A.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1ojk6A)

Hey Blinky.... What's the yellow stuff for?

Blinky
30-10-2008, 06:18 PM
hey mate, not meanin to be picky but from previous experience and also from what people have told me, the transducer should be mounted on the 3rd strake(rib on bottom of hull) away from the motor. Correct me if im wrong, just what ive been told and always gone off.

cheers,
Chris

I don't have any strakes on mine, its a flat plate hull with a sponson either side to provide grip, I wouldn't have thought you would mount on the strake as they create turbulence and possible interference.

Blinky
30-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey Blinky.... What's the yellow stuff for?

Just another way of minimising spray from transducers. I have four trannies across the back, two 700 series and two Lowrance, the Humminbirds have aluminium splash guards, the Lowrance are under the vinyl sheet.

Gilli
31-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Buy a Furuno lol. nah jokes. The splash guard is probly the best way to go and the most simplest.

The transducer idea ive always gone off is mount to the outside of the third strake from the motor, but everyone has there own ideas and ive only ever had lowrance and now a furuno with no spray at all.

cheers,
Chris