PDA

View Full Version : wave rider saturday

snapperbasher
27-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Just a quick report headed out to the wave rider on sat morning to chase a few dollies when we pulled up there the water was full of small kings so we had a ball catching them on everything from poppers to plastics and pillie cubes also:D. The dollies were a bit scarce but we spotted one doing laps around the bouy and not long after he ate a cubed pillie so at least we got what we came for. That was the only one spotted all morning but the kings kept us busy. We must have landed 20 - 25 of the little suckers they were only small but we kept 8 legal ones for a feed and headed home in perfect conditions.

Cheers Lochie

P.S there was no current out there what so ever. Never seen the current so light maybe the dollies like a bit more run.

skipalong
27-10-2008, 09:37 AM
excellent picx mate top class fish

lethal098
27-10-2008, 10:37 AM
well done, looks like fun, does anyone want to give up the marks for it??? hoping to get out saturday. thanks lethal

Te Whiti
27-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes a good post Snapperbasher....I rate your photos and your fishing.

keep it up.

catfishkid
27-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Mate sounds like you had a ball,good to see a plan come together and at least you got one dollie.
Great pics,those dollies have the most electric colours.

Cheers Craig

Barrykrocker
27-10-2008, 05:22 PM
nice catch. Is that possibly a rainbow runner or just a slightly odd looking kingie?

Pistol_P
27-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Definetly Kingies.

Nice pics of the Dollie mate...well done.8-)

Pete

snapperbasher
27-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks Pete. They were definately kings barrykrocker

webby
27-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Plenty of dollies there the weekend before, we scored around a dozen, most of the kingies would only take soft plastics, and most were under size, but we trolled around the area first and only scored 1, then we started with full pillies, no weight and a single mustad circle and they demolished them, just cast out and leave the bail arm open and let it drift down.
As soon as you see the line go taunt and peeling off the rreel close the arm and your on.
Mainly used tss4 wtih 10kg mono and its great fun.
we lost a fair few, but also scored a lot range in sizes from bulls to smaller one.
another trick is once your hook one and get him close to the boat and see color, cast another pillie out and usually you'll get another one following the hooked one up.
There were about 5 boats there that day and all we hooking up in quick succession.
the trick is let your bait sink down a bit with no tension on the line.
If they go off the bite go to half pilliees aand single hook, forget the gangs they seem to shy away from them.
once you get one onboard, a good donger comes in handy to subdue them, as they thrash around and are just as bad as mackerel with there blood spraying everywhere.
regards

sleepygreg
27-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Good advice on the donger Webby. I have seen a good sized kingy, and a good sized dollie go berserk on a small boat and do all sorts of damage to rods, shins and tackle boxes upended etc. They might not have teeth.....but they can sure make a mess if you dont pacify them quickly...beside that it keeps the flesh in good condition.

Greg

snapperbasher
28-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the advice webby. Could you see any dollies when you were there or were they all hanging deep a bit away from the bouy?

webby
28-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Mate some were deep, while others were jumping, you could actualy see them as the water was so clear. They would have been anywhere from in close too 30m out. Too get there attention just thrown some cubed pillies out to bring them up, then cast into the berley. regards

T1
28-10-2008, 12:29 PM
That's a nice Dollie there Lochie! Trying to talk Phillet in to getting out there to chase a few of these! They are good fun especially the bigger ones and when they're on, it's awesome! I've also had them take cubed Mullet and have got a few on 7" SP's too on the last time out there.

Take Care T

snapperbasher
28-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey T,
They sure are good fun i got him on my plastics gear with a pillie head got a nice braid cut when he took it had my finger on the line not paying attention. He probably took about 8-10mins to land.

Cheers lochie

block
28-10-2008, 12:51 PM
which wave rider are you talking about, sounds like fun

snapperbasher
28-10-2008, 12:54 PM
SE of point lookout.

block
28-10-2008, 06:54 PM
has there been any one getting dolllies off Mooloolabah. I am keen to go looking for them this summer so any tips on finding them off the suny coast would be great.
thanks webby for the info on what worked for you, will give it a go when I find a few!!
snapperbasher
what camera do you use for the under water shots, is it a under water job or is it in a housing

snapperbasher
28-10-2008, 07:06 PM
hey block they were takin from above the water with a canon S5IS

Horse
28-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Good to see you got onto a few Lochie. I might have a crack on Thursday

cobiaman
28-10-2008, 10:22 PM
well done lochie, looks like a good day...