PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of a 4Stroke

John Buoy
26-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi was hoping those in know would give their opinion
on 50-60hp Honda/Yammie 03 models 4st that have clocked up 500-600 hrs.

Regards Frank

cormorant
26-10-2008, 10:22 PM
So much depends on how they have been serviced and what load ( houseboat or tinny) and revs they have done their work at. You really want to know the truth about a motor like that and get it inspected by someone who knows them as a repair could be very expensive. I don't know that specific motor but someone will tell you if it was a good one or a lemon to start with.

Noelm
27-10-2008, 07:21 AM
this question pops up all the time, there is so many variables to say a Motor will last 500 hours or 5,000 hours, 2 or 4 stroke, the truth is with regular and proper care, an Outboard will almost never wear out, salt water and an unforseen failure will kill it first, like a dead water pump or a plastic bag over the intake, so as long as it has been looked after, 600 hours is just warming up!

sharkymark2
27-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I own a 07 model yammie 60hp 4 stroke and have only done 45 hours this year so far:(. I never go flat out get it serviced when I am supposed to. I fish maybe once or twice a week %$#@&* weather permitting. Even though at 600 hrs seems a lot for 5 years it is a 4stroke engine. Do these motors have a computer brain that the Yamaha service people can hook up a computer to and do a diagnostic on and tell you what revs they have been run at etc etc? Has this boat been used for outside fishing? You could also do an oil sample test to see if there are any potential problems starting up. Good luck with your buy.

fly_1
27-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes, the yamahas are hooked up to the confuser at service time, and you will get a breakdown of the hr, revs etc..I have twin 60hp's on my kcat, and I get a complete breakdown every service. ( Mine are serviced every 100 hrs).
To answer your question re hrs, well as the other guys have said, that depends on many variables, but I know of a couple of 60HP yamahas with well over 5000 hrs, and they have never missed a beat..., so I wouldnt be to concerned about an engine with 500hrs on the clock!!!!!!

Trent

Dean1
27-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I know of an f 60 thats clocked up 15 000hrs if thats any help. Service em when required and they will bring you many years of joy ;)

John Buoy
27-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Cheers guys I have some early years mechanical knowledge
but have learnt a bit in the above posts.
The question was in relation to a 5.2 Kevlacat in immaculate condition
and 600 hrs on twin 03 Yammie 4st.
Most of the work has been on offshore trips 1-2 hrs both ways.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2987087
Prior to the last 5yrs boat was sitting dormant and unused
Engines were replaced in 03.
Price has been negotiated to mid 40's! any opinions.

Regards Frank

Dean1
27-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I saw that 5.2 a while ago. Its an older hull (89 id say) but looks in great nick. At 45k its a dam good buy. Has an ally trailer as well. Id move pretty quick coz at around those $$$ it wont last long ;)

poundalead
27-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Mate I have an 03 Yamaha 4 stroke which has 900 hours on the clock never misses a beat starts first turn of the key every time. They are a good motor. I service mine every 100 hours also or once a year.

Cheers Benny

Spaniard_King
27-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Heres one of my clients engines.. it is still going strong

See attached service report taken from the new DR H Diagnostic software;D

boatboy50
28-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Hey John,

That boat has been for sale for at least 3 months. I sold mine for more when that add first appeared.

At mid 40's I would say that would be a great buy.

The boat looks great and is described as immaculate. The hours would not concern me at all if you have plans to keep it for a long time.

Go for it. They are a great boat, and those engines are sweet also.

Regards

Darren

John Buoy
28-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey John,

That boat has been for sale for at least 3 months. I sold mine for more when that add first appeared.

At mid 40's I would say that would be a great buy.

The boat looks great and is described as immaculate. The hours would not concern me at all if you have plans to keep it for a long time.

Go for it. They are a great boat, and those engines are sweet also.

Regards

Darren
Apparantly it was for sale a while ago but the owners bought an 11mt rig
and has now relisted it again as it was off the market for a while.
Only draw back is i'm so far away here in Melb.
Might have to hire a boat inspector!!
Anyone live near Kawana on the sunshine coast seen this rig?

Regards Frank

Noelm
28-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I would be thinking there must be a dozen guys that live in that area that would be more than happy to at least give it the once over before you do the trip up, if you get stuck, I have a mate that lives very near there and I am sure he would zip over and have a pre inspection look for you, then you can decide whether a quick trip is worth while, you might even be able to get a member to pick you up at Sunshine Coast Airport if you are really lucky! just let me know if you need his number or if someone else volunteers.

John Buoy
28-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I would be thinking there must be a dozen guys that live in that area that would be more than happy to at least give it the once over before you do the trip up, if you get stuck, I have a mate that lives very near there and I am sure he would zip over and have a pre inspection look for you, then you can decide whether a quick trip is worth while, you might even be able to get a member to pick you up at Sunshine Coast Airport if you are really lucky! just let me know if you need his number or if someone else volunteers.
Sensational offer mate will contact you if need be still going thru the finance stages,
very much appreciated

Regards Frank

GBC
28-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Not sure about the computer thing - wouldn't an '03 60 be pre upgrade? Which means lifting the cowl will show three carbs and no ecu? A better motor for the long run IMHO.

FNQCairns
28-10-2008, 04:09 PM
lifespan has gotta be as high as a well looked after traditional 2 stroke, say 12-15 years of average use, it's just to get the extra 10 years to 25 out of it the 2st rebuild will cost 2/8 the cost of a brand new complete 4 stroke which is the only truly cost effective 4 stroke rebuild.

So in theory:) after the purchase of a traditional 2 stroke all the extra fuel costs + the rebuild costs over 25 years of use is free! compared to owing a comparable 4st over 25 years...he he.

cheers fnq

TheRealAndy
28-10-2008, 05:41 PM
My F50 has clocked up 500 hours. Just put it through the latest service and no problems at all. Been out twice since the service and already clocked up 11 more hours!!

White Pointer
28-10-2008, 10:00 PM
G'day,

You don't see harbour boat taxi services in Queensland and Brisbane to the extent that you do around Sydney Harbour, Pittwater Harbour, Broken Bay, etc because of the nature of the waterways, the waterfront land area to live on etc.

But around Sydney the water taxis are a great business and do a roaring trade. Their engines are almost never switched off and they go like stink. I have heard that the engines sometimes outlast the boats which is 5 to 10 years, depending on what they hit! They are almost all Yamaha 4-strokes in the 115 - 130 HP range and they just get routine servicing.

It's a bit like Falcon taxis - if you never turn them off they go on and on and get bits replaced in no time flat until the body falls apart.

For us occasional users, we have to provide meticulous maintenance to our pride and joy because heating up and cooling down and drying out accelerates wear at a phenomenal rate.

I reckon that the best maintenance investment in a boat is a tank that you can lower the engine into and run it in fresh water and soluble oil. Nothing should ever rust, not even the sacrificial annodes.

White Pointer