PDA

View Full Version : Monduran Report 17th - 25th

Pete62
26-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Guys, got home last week from a VERY unproductive trip. Arrived last Sat after a great run up, set up camp and hit the dam for a recky and a few casts. Must have been more that 60 trailers at the dirt ramp, same a concrete ramp.
Same on Sunday, went out with a guide for a few hours which set the scene for the week.
We cast plastics and HB's up on the shallows and the timber for 6 solid days and nights for a total of one catfish and one dropped fish.

In the whole week we heard of 12 fish caught, 10 on the troll and 2 in the sticks, both fish caught in the sticks we pinned under the jaw.

Other than the fishing we had a good week and it was great to get experience in a new environment, meet new people and fuel my determination to get organised and get my ass back up there b4 end of Summer.

Cheers, Pete.

BR65
26-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Whoa, Lake Misery strikes again, thats a lot of hours on the water pete for little reward!
Thanks for the report, sounds like some tuff sessions in front of us all until the higher temps kick in.

cheers
brian

phatty
26-10-2008, 11:52 AM
i heard it was quiet but i didnt think it was that quiet.

thats fishing.

Tropicaltrout
26-10-2008, 12:33 PM
oh the monduran donut its a hard experiance but one thing is for sure it could be all on fire tomorrow its a funny lake.

Nath

NAGG
26-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Pete

Sorry to see that you didn't get the result ...... specially over the time you spent on the water :(

Now for the lowdown ......... The barra are just manoevering into position to be caught by the those that will arrive on the 7th:P ......

Cheers

Chris

rebelone
26-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi NAGG

Hope you are right, travelling from south of Coffs Harbour and arriving there on the 8th.

Merv

BR65
26-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Pete

Sorry to see that you didn't get the result ...... specially over the time you spent on the water :(

Now for the lowdown ......... The barra are just manoevering into position to be caught by the those that will arrive on the 7th:P ......

Cheers

Chris

Hi NAGG

Hope you are right, travelling from south of Coffs Harbour and arriving there on the 8th.

Merv

Sorry fellas, but I intend to un-leash a "shock and awe" type onslaught the week end before yas, Ive got an IBD build up like a teenage boy surfin the net late at nite, and I pity the poor barra that makes the mistake of inhaleing one of my H.B's!

Steve B
26-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Sorry boys....it will be all over when I slay them tuesday arvo!!;);D

Peter, It was great to meet you at foxies the other day. Pity about the ol doughnut....at least you got that out of the way...next time youll be set!!!

best of luck mate.

cheers steve

NAGG
26-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry fellas, but I intend to un-leash a "shock and awe" type onslaught the week end before yas, Ive got an IBD build up like a teenage boy surfin the net late at nite, and I pity the poor barra that makes the mistake of inhaleing one of my H.B's!

I hope you are right Brian ....... Because I'm hearing that a Krispy Cream franchise is considering locating there ;D

Chris

simply
27-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi fellow Barra mads. Fished Monduran 13-20/10. Very hard work. I managed 1 boated, 1 dropped and 1 follow (huge bow wave behind the lure). Five mates 0ed out. All fish caught on Berkley Frogs. Hollow bellys looked good but didn't produce.
MUST rig a stinger hook on the frogs to even the odds of a hook-up.
Hope you guys do better.

themissus
27-10-2008, 11:33 AM
That Bites Pete, after all the build up....I'm sure you will be back though!!
Better luck next trip
Cheers Kim.

Jungle Jim
27-10-2008, 01:38 PM
hi all

my wife and i were there all week 19th -25th also for a pair of donuts.

it was tough going all week. Admittedly in hind-sight we had underestimated how difficult it could be. i knew it would be tough but for some reason i thought we could fish for a couple of hours each day and pick up a fish or two.

we'd spend 6+ hours per day on the water but hadn't realsied that by the time you motor to different areas, set up a drift, tie up to a tree, make a couple of casts, untie from the tree, retrieve snagged lures, re rig un-tangle leaders and change lures we were actually only fishing (ie lures in the water) for 1-2 hours max.

it wasn't til the last couple of days that the penny dropped and we got really serious with lures being in water and stopped making hail mary - crossed fingers casts into garanteed snaggy country.

all the mucking around was wasting time in the water.

anyway lessons learned. and it was good to catch up with a couple of people from here and share war stories.

JIM

themissus
27-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Well said Jim, you get wiser and wiser each trip. Our first few trips we spend 9-10hrs a day on the water often for very few fish. Last trip, we did that for the first few days, then wised up to the pattern of when they were on the chew(thanks nagg) and only put in 6hrs a day with a nice fish bite smack in the middle. Hard part is cracking that bite pattern.
Cheers Kim.

BR65
27-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I hope you are right Brian ....... Because I'm hearing that a Krispy Cream franchise is considering locating there ;D

Chris

Fuel to my fire mate;D

Steve B
28-10-2008, 12:14 AM
hi all

my wife and i were there all week 19th -25th also for a pair of donuts.

it was tough going all week. Admittedly in hind-sight we had underestimated how difficult it could be. i knew it would be tough but for some reason i thought we could fish for a couple of hours each day and pick up a fish or two.

we'd spend 6+ hours per day on the water but hadn't realsied that by the time you motor to different areas, set up a drift, tie up to a tree, make a couple of casts, untie from the tree, retrieve snagged lures, re rig un-tangle leaders and change lures we were actually only fishing (ie lures in the water) for 1-2 hours max.

it wasn't til the last couple of days that the penny dropped and we got really serious with lures being in water and stopped making hail mary - crossed fingers casts into garanteed snaggy country.

all the mucking around was wasting time in the water.

anyway lessons learned. and it was good to catch up with a couple of people from here and share war stories.

JIM

Thanks for bringing up a very important point Jim.....Good work mate. Sorry to hear about your bad luck though mate.

We all talk about 'gun lures/plastics' etc but often overlook the critical 'lure time in the water' factor.............and more importantly having the lure in the right place at the right time (not up a tree or on a snag etc) ............it really adds up when you calculate the lure in water time over a long day casting........it often can add up to hours of difference.......especially of you take into consderation casting distances and accuracy to hit spots.

Thanks Jim.....I hope you have a better run next time.

cheers steve

mylestom
28-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Pete,

Things haven,t improve, the barra tour pros even found it hard going and a lot of racing around the dam.

Water temp improved today and a few short strikes on plastics, but hardbodies have been slow. Plastics aren,t the bee all and a good cross section of lures is the way to go.

Hollow this and hollow that, is a buzz word, but will the lure stand up to a bit of work. In my opinion NO. Construction a bit to be desired (Very easily destroyed). Is it easy to rig and hook placement very very critical. Good if you can afford, but for the average angler and lot of money for not much product.

Realise will cop some comments, but it needs to be said.

Been fishing with plastics and hardbodies for Barra for near on thirty years. Believe they have a lot of publicity but value for money is questionable.

Just my personal opinion and hear goes.

Regards

Trev

culbara
28-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Well wife and i and a few friends are up there 7,8,9 of november so if you see a vehicle with the same name as my name here come say hello and have a beer cheers

Awoonga
29-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Pete,

Things haven,t improve, the barra tour pros even found it hard going and a lot of racing around the dam.

Water temp improved today and a few short strikes on plastics, but hardbodies have been slow. Plastics aren,t the bee all and a good cross section of lures is the way to go.

Hollow this and hollow that, is a buzz word, but will the lure stand up to a bit of work. In my opinion NO. Construction a bit to be desired (Very easily destroyed). Is it easy to rig and hook placement very very critical. Good if you can afford, but for the average angler and lot of money for not much product.

Been fishing with plastics and hardbodies for Barra for near on thirty years. Believe they have a lot of publicity but value for money is questionable.

Regards

Trev They are just another tool to use that works and if you think they are out of your price range just dont buy them..simple....

NAGG
29-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Pete,

Regards

Trev

Trev ...... Just my thoughts on hollows ( yes I've bought a few packets + have some other hollow US imports) - These plastics are just another string to bow (like having one more make of hardbody)
:)
On the value side of things ....... those same attributes that make the plastic as fragile as the Australian batting line up in india:( Give the plastic that enticing action at low retrieve speeds ...... Which keeps it in the strike zone for longer.
For me .... If I find a lure that the barra smash & destroy - I'll buy it & use it every time ........ much better than using a robust lure that the barra wont touch::) .

Finally at around $13 for 3 ..... they are not cheap - but if I loose / destroy 1 to every barra I land ...... $4.33 is a reasonable price :P - considering I've probably spent around $1500 on my barra trip!

- clearly this is how Berkley have targeted the market

Chris

mylestom
29-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Trev ...... Just my thoughts on hollows ( yes I've bought a few packets + have some other hollow US imports) - These plastics are just another string to bow (like having one more make of hardbody)
:)
On the value side of things ....... those same attributes that make the plastic as fragile as the Australian batting line up in india:( Give the plastic that enticing action at low retrieve speeds ...... Which keeps it in the strike zone for longer.
For me .... If I find a lure that the barra smash & destroy - I'll buy it & use it every time ........ much better than using a robust lure that the barra wont touch::) .

Finally at around $13 for 3 ..... they are not cheap - but if I loose / destroy 1 to every barra I land ...... $4.33 is a reasonable price :P - considering I've probably spent around $1500 on my barra trip!

- clearly this is how Berkley have targeted the market

Chris

Chris,

Just making a comment on value, realise the different retrieves and all the various factors. But at the cost, for a plastic which is not that easy to rig, then my call is possibly not value for money. Yes some have had great success, but would that have been the same with some other lure/plastic at that time.

We all have seen the various come and go and the telling factor is value for money. Appears to be more plastic in the packaging than in the lures.

I am not supported by any tackle mob, so have to watch what I spend, same as the majority of anglers.

My belief after nearly thirty years of using the various plastics, is not long term.

Something else with better costing will come along as usual.

Only done just over 16,000klms this year barra fishing and yes do spend the odd dollars on my hobby.

Regards

Trev

mylestom
29-10-2008, 03:33 PM
They are just another tool to use that works and if you think they are out of your price range just dont buy them..simple....

Trev,

What I said was that they are not value for money, comments on my price range don't come into it...... Simple......

Regards

Trev

Steve B
29-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Went out last night for a quick arvo session. Found a beautiful weed bed on dark (not on the windward side either) that was holding a good amount of flicking bait....thought..mmm cant hurt. flicked a few different plastics around. Got a 115cm, lost 4 others due to poor angling and just having fun....a couple of fish hit my slickrig heading towards the boat...I was useing a baitcaster which resulted in too much slack line on the jump and head shake. Other fish (big buggers too) were just throwing hooks which I felt I had set pretty well with the strike:-[ ....had another probably 5 or 6 hits/bumps as well....probably the same fish.. Very fun afternoon indeed.

Best fun,,,,and this is for you brian (RE: now I have frogs thread). I had a fouled plastic with weed, I was ripping it back in on the surface......and I saw my first bowwave......then smash..........ooooooh now I see the excitement!!! I didnt have any frogs with me either! Tried surface poppers as a substitute..but no interest. All in all it was a fun littles 1hr session right on dusk/dark.

cheers steve

DEANO68
29-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Went out last night for a quick arvo session. Found a beautiful weed bed on dark (not on the windward side either) that was holding a good amount of flicking bait....thought..mmm cant hurt. flicked a few different plastics around. Got a 115cm, lost 4 others due to poor angling and just having fun....a couple of fish hit my slickrig heading towards the boat...I was useing a baitcaster which resulted in too much slack line on the jump and head shake. Other fish (big buggers too) were just throwing hooks which I felt I had set pretty well with the strike:-[ ....had another probably 5 or 6 hits/bumps as well....probably the same fish.. Very fun afternoon indeed.

Best fun,,,,and this is for you brian (RE: now I have frogs thread). I had a fouled plastic with weed, I was ripping it back in on the surface......and I saw my first bowwave......then smash..........ooooooh now I see the excitement!!! I didnt have any frogs with me either! Tried surface poppers as a substitute..but no interest. All in all it was a fun littles 1hr session right on dusk/dark.

cheers steve

thanks for that little report steve, just as i thought i had my condition under control, you throw that at me,, now with a bit more than a week to go, the ibd is nearing full blown..:P after a d/nut last start, i need me some of that sort of action, which i havent even seen yet at mondy...1 hour.. thats all i want..thanks,,
p.s.. any little tips greatly apriciated...;)
deano...

Steve B
29-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks Deano, I can assure you thats the best action I have had up there since that surface night with spud (Tues after the Muster). It has been very quiet for the past..spose month now.....but last week has been consistant warm NE winds....something has to give....surely its suitable now for these fussy mongrels!!!...;D As Trev said..the AFC struggled...but it was improving with each day this week as they went. So mabey its on the up...or I finally got luckyish in a patch....interested to see if Awoonga is doing the same????

steve

NAGG
29-10-2008, 04:27 PM

cheers steve

The BOW WAVE ........ unbelievable when you see it first hand ...... made me go weak at the knees:P

Sounds like a bit of an improvement last night

Cheers

Chris

Whitto
29-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Definatedly getting hotter hope it continues can only be a good thing and the assistance of the odd Nor Easter.....Iam now getting toer than a Roman sandal....Whitto:D:laola:

DEANO68
29-10-2008, 04:37 PM
The BOW WAVE ........ unbelievable when you see it first hand ...... made me go weak at the knees:P

Sounds like a bit of an improvement last night

Cheers

Chris

just painting the picture of that little session made me knees quiver and the arm gave an uncontrolled twitch..:P ..
deano..

NAGG
29-10-2008, 04:59 PM
just painting the picture of that little session made me knees quiver and the arm gave an uncontrolled twitch..:P ..
deano..

Fair dinkum ....... The bow wave we got on our second session at Awoonga ...... pushed the water 10" upwards & went for 10M - - Mate you should have seen how quickly Mighty Whitey jumped into my tackle box for a frog:2vrolijk_08:

The one that gets you ..... is the quick boof from the smaller fish - scares the shite out of ya

Chris

mylestom
30-10-2008, 11:48 AM
No fish in boat today, two hook up for lost fish (slack!). A few strikes and lots of boofs today. Saw a really big fish in about 3.5 metre of water, back right out of water.

Lots of good arches on the sounder today.

Rob from the park got new P.B. 123cm yesterday, really nice fish.

Weather warmish but water temp just up around 25 this morning, might improve this afternoon.

Trev

Steve B
30-10-2008, 12:03 PM
No fish in boat today, two hook up for lost fish (slack!). A few strikes and lots of boofs today. Saw a really big fish in about 3.5 metre of water, back right out of water.

Lots of good arches on the sounder today.

Rob from the park got new P.B. 123cm yesterday, really nice fish.

Weather warmish but water temp just up around 25 this morning, might improve this afternoon.

Trev

Trev,

yeah I saw a photo of it on a mates mobile....hard to tell....dare I say I think it looked bigger than old Homer!!!
Good to see your getting a bit of action....I think its on the up at them moment.

steve.

Tropicaltrout
30-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I see on sweetwater a fw bigggggg fish got hooked one at a dollar 31

Hows the dinner at the pub looking steve thurday or friday when ever it suits you and foxie and of coarse the lady's

Pete62
31-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi guys n girls, sorry 4 the lack of reply but was only home from Mondy for 12 hrs b4 hitting the road again for a week in Beautiful;) Orange watching my son play state softball. Just got the car unloaded now, bloody hell talk about white line fever.............I love RED BULL.

Anyho, during my 4 thousand odd K's on the road in the last two weeks I have had time to ponder the question.......... why didn't I get fish? Havn't come up with a one word answer but have worked out that it was a colmination of things including, lack of experience, poor conditions and the fish just not being on the chew.

I tried really hard not to be affected by the negative vibe that hit us as soon as we arrived but perhaps that was a factor as well.

No matter, as I said ,I am going back up b4 the end of summer to have another shot and will continue to do so until I find the one or bunch of keys that opens the locks.
Cheers, Pete.

Steve B
31-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I see on sweetwater a fw bigggggg fish got hooked one at a dollar 31

Hows the dinner at the pub looking steve thurday or friday when ever it suits you and foxie and of coarse the lady's

Could be OK for fri nite next week Nath....I get back from the coast with the family on that day....see how things go.

cheers steve

Peter62,

Mate dont beat yourself up..!! It was the toughest week for a long time while you were here. Dont read too deep into the neg. From what I hear, you were doing everything right. Fish wont play..no one can change that.

Steve