PDA

View Full Version : Attn Darwinites - Who Uses Fannie Bay Boat "Ramp"?

Splash
25-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I want to know if it is practical to use this "half" boat ramp.

This ramp has much shorter access for the sort of fishing I want to do (blue water) - for me anyway.

And, what is access like with 4WD?

Otherwise is the Dinah St boat ramp the better solution - even though it is about 5kms from the Fannie Bay Boat Ramp.

Splash

dodgyone
25-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Fanny Bay. You mean the Ski Club ramp near the Museum? Not a bad ramp to use. Can get a bit interesting on the lowest tides or when the weather is rough but usually ok. The ramp has some little spurs off the main part that are steeper and provide a little protection from the chop. Most guys I know that fish the Blue there use it.

Splash
25-10-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks dodgyone.

can i take a 4wd right down to water's edge?

From what I have seen so far, it seems limited - 4wd access..

When would you use the Dinah St Boat Ramp?

Splash

finga
26-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Have you been around to Doctor's gully at feeding time yet?

Splash
26-10-2008, 08:09 AM
not yet - one of these days.....

dodgyone
26-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Is a decent concrete ramp. Launched there with 2wd a fair few times. Does pay to be careful though. Might pay to go for a drive and have a look how others do it. Usually a fair few people using it every weekend.

I only ever used Dinah when we knew there was not going to be enough water to get out at the other ramps. Either Nightcliff or Ski Club. Always used East Arm or Channel Island for harbour access but I was living in Palmy.
Go and have a look how many people try and use Dinah beach or a weekend afternoon. Massive line ups and ramp rage. Only going to get worse after the pontoon is done.

2rods
26-10-2008, 10:06 PM
splash... are you talking about the 1/2 ramp at vesties beach??? It is only short and doesn't reach the water most of the time...

The ramp at the ski club is fine for a 4x2 to use.... I use it from time to time.

Dinah beach boat ramp is good because it is protected from the wind and swell ... and I use it as I don't like to let my glass boat touch anything other than water or the trailer :-)

It is fine from 2.5mtrs and up... just remember that there is a mud bar straight out the front so don't try and go to the middle of the creek... what you need to do is go out say 20-30mtrs and then go upstream a little say 50-75mtrs then go over to the far bank and then head out (sticking to that side)

If you want any info on our ramps up here just send me your number via PM... more than happy to take you to some and show you the things to look out for.... I have found most of them over the years :-)

Splash
28-10-2008, 08:52 PM
thanks guys.

i am looking at the trailer boat club ramp - and not the ski beach.

i will join the trailer boat club soon.

your thoughts on this ramp ?

Splash