PDA

View Full Version : Boat Storaqge Outside

Splash
25-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I will be storing my boat in open weather - in Darwin.

It is the Haines Hunter 5.4m fiberglass hull.

What is the best course of action to protect it as much as possible from the harsh elements - without generating moisture.

SPlash

cormorant
25-10-2008, 05:07 PM
There is only one solution

No beer in the boat and that fixes your moisture problem.

Dry boat in Darwin - Ha ha

Honestly take me and I'll show you what to do!!!!!

A mate took one of those Supa cheap single garage / pavillion thingos for $99 dollars so rain showers didn't get in and the boat was able to get some air when he wasn't using it. Reckons his sweat nearly set off teh bilge pump it was so humid.

Splash
25-10-2008, 08:48 PM
thanks cormorant.

my boat is 5.4m on a 7.5m trailer - so I need around 8.0m long garage / pavillion thingo. I am told they do not exist in this length.

If you know of a garage 8.0m long - please let me know.

Splash.

Dory4.1
25-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Mate ,

I keep mine under a tarp, I've built a stand that sits in the middle of the boat which keeps the tarp up in the middle, ensuring water runs straight of and doesnt pool. It also seems to let a bit of air flow around. Anyway, I've never had a problem with mould or moisture. A good quality tarp lasts for years.

Cheers
Michael

Splash
26-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks Dory - How would fiberglass hull handle the constant Darwin heat?

Could you possibly forward a few phtotos of your framework and tarp?

Splash

Jabba_
26-10-2008, 08:43 AM
thanks cormorant.

my boat is 5.4m on a 7.5m trailer - so I need around 8.0m long garage / pavillion thingo. I am told they do not exist in this length.

If you know of a garage 8.0m long - please let me know.

Splash.

Contract a Carpenter to build you a 4m x 8m carport out off hardwood... It will last forever, and being hardwood it will be resisant to white ants...

Also building the carport out of timber gives you design freedom. Build it as high, a wide, as long as you like... The steel kits ar all prefab, and only come in certain sizes, as you have all ready found out.....

Ron173
26-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Tarp or proper tailor made boat cover should do.

Fibreglass should be ok in heat, the UV is more the issue, so keep under cover when not using.

I have 2 boats n 2 covers, one is fibreglass with a tailor made cover, fits like a glove and no issues with rain or moisture, but they can cost around $1500 for a good canvas tailor made one.

Other is a small tinnie which has a cheap generic boat cover, bout $50 k-mart or big W, this one pools water when raining, but my solution was to put a couple of garden chairs inside before covering, now has a slope and water runs off.

Ron

ozbee
26-10-2008, 09:32 AM
super cheap sell one for about 120 dollars if you want it higher tap in some inch box in the legs. the bloke set it up for his 21 ft caravan . the main thing is buy one of those silver tarps and strap it over the top of the tarp that comes with it. it is raised in the centre frame so all water runs off and air circulates under it. main thing is it can be pulled down in five minutes which is great for the whirly season. actually looks quite neat .

Splash
26-10-2008, 09:33 AM
thanks boys

ozbee
26-10-2008, 09:36 AM
ps i think he bought one than bought a shorter one to add on to make it very long but i could fit my 680 patriot under it so yours would be no problem , i even doubt that you would need to extend the legs . cheapest way i know how to get out of a problem.especially if a rental place.

FNQCairns
26-10-2008, 09:53 AM
You could buy 2 of those supercheap carports, the white cover is rubbish, a silver tarp will see the frame out, anywaya person can join 2 of these carports together for a total of around 10m.

They only last 2 wet seasons up here before rusting out.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
26-10-2008, 09:58 AM
What is theft like in Darwin these days? Used to be pretty bad several years ago with kids mostly knocking off whatever they could.

Maybe a ministorage shed will offer you the protection and security for a price. Would depend on the door heights as well at the premises.

Jack.

Splash
26-10-2008, 10:14 AM
thanks again - will consider these options..

I am thinking of storing boat at the sailing club, Fannie Bay. They have walkaround security 24/7.

I woudl plan on taking everything out to minimise theft.

Splash

Splash
26-10-2008, 10:16 AM
What is theft like in Darwin these days? Used to be pretty bad several years ago with kids mostly knocking off whatever they could.

Maybe a ministorage shed will offer you the protection and security for a price. Would depend on the door heights as well at the premises.

Jack.

Jack - I cannot locate a ministorage shed long enough to store this boat/trailer (total length 7.5m). DO you know of any potnetial ministorgae sheds?

SPlash

datamile
26-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I've got a shade shed. http://www.shadesheds.com/shade_sheds.asp standard is 6m with 1.4m extension so I've got a 7.4 for my 5.25 boat. Went for a 4.6 width just to make the reversing easy, and so I can work on the boat/trailer easy.