PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the use of my boat

Chamelion
25-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchase a Sunchaser 4.4m fibreglass runabout with a 50hp yamaha on the back.

I've been using it primarily for fishing the maroochy river but would like to expand the fun a little.

1) I would like to use it for some tubing with the family.. The boat will do 50km/h with 3 90kg men on board, half a dozen rods, a few tackle boxes, esky, food, drinks, 30L of fuel, anchor etc..
Is it unrealistic to expect it to be adequate for towing a two person tube with two people in the boat and two adults in the tube?
Assuming that whilst tubing the fishing gear, esky, food etc won't be in the boat.

2) I would like to do a little "off shore" fishing. I was thinking of around Old woman (Mudjimba) island and perhaps the closest reef to Mooloolaba.. I can't remember if it's the Inner kneerings or Murphys.. I intend to stay within 2nm of shore due to not having an epirb yet. Is my boat likely to do this OK?

Thanks in advance :)

Matt.

ps: pics of my boat attatched.

wiz
25-10-2008, 03:01 PM
It's not the size of the boat, it is more about the conditions and your abilities to handle those conditions. ( wind, swell, chop ) That sort of boat would get you to those places you mention on the right days. Usually 5-10knot winds on a swell to a metre are a good indication that you will be confortable alll round. Learn to check a number of weather reports to make your decision. The only way to become more experienced is to practice.

Cheers

Jeremy
25-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I reckon you will be fine outside on a good day, but you will struggle to find any reefs within 2nm of the coast. Mudjimba Is probably OK, but inner gneerings is about 7km and Murphies 12km. There are usually tuna in the bay in summer which are always fun to chase.

Jeremy

Kleyny
25-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I have skied (2 skies) behind a 4.1m glass boat with a 40 on the back so I'm sure a tube would be fine.
Just have the minimum 1 on board fuel and pointer/watcher or what ever they are called

neil

Chamelion
25-10-2008, 08:44 PM
It's not the size of the boat, it is more about the conditions and your abilities to handle those conditions. ( wind, swell, chop ) That sort of boat would get you to those places you mention on the right days. Usually 5-10knot winds on a swell to a metre are a good indication that you will be confortable alll round. Learn to check a number of weather reports to make your decision. The only way to become more experienced is to practice.

Cheers

Cheers I'll keep that in mind for sure. :D

I reckon you will be fine outside on a good day, but you will struggle to find any reefs within 2nm of the coast. Mudjimba Is probably OK, but inner gneerings is about 7km and Murphies 12km. There are usually tuna in the bay in summer which are always fun to chase.

Jeremy

I'm sure that I read there was a reef only 3km from the Mooloolaba inlet? If not I'll stick to old woman and the bay until I can put the money together for an Epirb so I can check out the inner gneerings. :)

I have skied (2 skies) behind a 4.1m glass boat with a 40 on the back so I'm sure a tube would be fine.
Just have the minimum 1 on board fuel and pointer/watcher or what ever they are called

neil

Excellent, I was hoping she would manage it alright. There is a Sevylor twin extreme with rop etc for sale locally for $95. Figured I should throw an offer on it. :D

Cheers,

Matt.