PDA

View Full Version : Eating Monduran Barra?

pontificator
24-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I know this has been done before, but I'm hoping for some new developments, as we'll be up there again in a few weeks.

I'd really appreciate some tips around what makes for edible fish, and by edible, I mean at least as good as a snag on the barbie. Ok, maybe not quite that good.

Some focusing questions for me are;

is there a max size beyond which there is no hope for a reasonable feed?
does chilling the fish make a difference when managing the fat/oil? I know with bass and yellas that preparation is much easier with chilled fish, but the one big Lake M fish I killed was still full of fat/oil throughout the tissue
are there any magic recipes that make the unpalatable a better option than a snag on bread?A bloke at work is from PNG. He has seen a photo of a reasonable Lake M fish at my desk. He says that like crocs that live in freshwater, ginger is the go. Maybe he has never eaten a snag, but I doubt it. I don't think he has eaten a Lake M barra, which in my experience taste just like the water. But, I'd like to find a way.

Rick K

Rick K

CQHORNET
25-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Take some Sausages with you.

DNO

BR65
25-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Take some Sausages with you.

DNO

;D ;D ;D

Rick, I havent eaten one, but if I was going to knock one on the head, I'd choose something in the 70 to 80 range, bleed it out, gut and gill straight away, and then into the esky covered in ice for the rest of the day, at least that way you know youve looked after the fish as best ways as you can.
Youve only got to look at those big girls, the meter + ones, to know they will be full of fat. Another down side is the longer the fight, the more adrenalin the fish is pumping, decreaseing the eating quality, so those brawling 90 to 100cm fish wouldnt be my choice either.
Like I said, I dont eat em, I CPR, but if I was going to, thats how I would do it
cheers
brian

NAGG
25-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Rick ..... If you need to ask these questions

Take the snags or replace the barra with Tofu or Chokos ( you need to put the same effort in to make these edible) ...... & let the barra go;D

Cheers

Chris

BasS_BandiT
25-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Rick K
Not sure if this will work for Barra but it works fine for Bass and Yellas What I do is Fillet and SKIN your fish in the case of Barra cut into managable bits then I mix up Some Lemon juice, vinager, Salt then add water to cover the fish (the mix is up to your taste trial and error) then leave for up to an hour to leech out most of the fat and oils(that hold that fresh water taste) Hope this helps and please let me know how it goes on those very large lake Barra.
Cheers David :)

Steve B
25-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Rick

Theres a butcher in town....has great snags mate!!

Apparently the bass are reasonable eating.....harder to catch though. I tried a mates famous 'you wont know its dam barra' reciepe on a healthy 75cm once....only once!!. YUKKKK. I really dont think they are good to eat.....others may think so.

If you wanted to, probably what Brian suggested would be the best option.

They look better in a photo than on a BBQ.

cheers steve

darylive
25-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Mate,

I have tried the Impoundment BARRA and confirm the general consensus. Take the sausages mate! Some muck around with vinegar, salt water, lemon etc.

Sausages will cost you less than the marinade, a lot less mucking around and in the end you can eat the sausages while the Barra will still get thrown out.

CQHORNET
26-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Mate,

I have tried the Impoundment BARRA and confirm the general consensus. Take the sausages mate! Some muck around with vinegar, salt water, lemon etc.

Sausages will cost you less than the marinade, a lot less mucking around and in the end you can eat the sausages while the Barra will still get thrown out.

darylive,

Couldn't have said it better myself.

DNO

Whitto
26-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Herbs and Spices lads......beautiful......cook up portion size fillets coated with the herbs and spices until golden brown.....boil up some noodles and drain throughly...then scrape off the herbs and spices and mix with the noodles....half a teaspoon of Oyster sauce and mix in well.... a glass of rough as guts to wash it down....again Beautiful.....Aawww what do u do with the Barra....give it to the wife's cat u proberbly don't like the thing anyway;D PS I havn't tried the sausages at Gin Gin but Im guessing thats your best option::)

Tropicaltrout
26-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Not a catch and keeper but a person that does enjoy a nice bit of fish so if your desprate to eat a fillet or two while your away take a nice bit of snapper or what ever, alot more enjoyable and better than any fat old impoundment barra. Enjoy the fishing but let them swim.

NAGG
26-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Not a catch and keeper but a person that does enjoy a nice bit of fish so if your desprate to eat a fillet or two while your away take a nice bit of snapper or what ever, alot more enjoyable and better than any fat old impoundment barra. Enjoy the fishing but let them swim.

I'm too someone that loves a nice piece of fish ..... specially when away from home on a trip

Salt water barra are...... awesome , with nothing needed but cooking .......SWEET :P
impoundment barra .... having tried it once - Is just too fatty (big ones) - & every time a campground discussion broaches the subject of eating impoundment barra - all you hear is what people do to remove or mask the taste ::) I'm yet to hear someone say they just slap a fillet in the pan / bbq ...... & tell me how good it is :speechless:

Chris

pontificator
27-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks, haven't read anything to turn me away from a good snag.

While up there will bail up a likely type at the cleaning table, and there are plenty of them, and see how I go.

Still wear my fillet and release t shirt with pride, albeit with an extra wide smile at Lake M

Barraboy7
27-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Laterel
Funny how some people who put up posts and threads practically non stop, seeking all kinds of genuine info, start to write crap, rubbish and make jokes about another GENUINE question, when they really wouldnt know, or the subject is not their favorite.
Some are not only lousy fishermen but atrocious cooks!
Some are brilliant cooks who cant fish!
Some are great fishos and cooks!

Its like another thread on Saltwater where a guy asked a question whether Golden Trevally taste good, Well there were a hundred and one answers from people who obviously never ate one, and think all trevally taste the same, and about ten geniune answers from people who caught one and knew what they looked and tasted like. Most trevally taste pretty ordinary, but some taste great!

In my opinion, Barramundi are well down the scale as tasting fish, even saltwater barra are nothing spectacular to people in the north who can regularly compare them to Fingermark, Mangrove Jack, Coral Trout, Spaniards and many other species from the wonderful north. Their flesh is very soft, and yes they are nice but not brilliant. Others may disagree, OK.
Freshwater Barra are obviously more challenged in giving you a great taste, with the weedy / muddy flavours creeping in.
However, I have eaten a good sized barra from Awoonga, only one, and the way we prepare it it tasted as good to me as a saltie. It wasnt full of fat.

Take the filets of a 80cm range fish, skin, then cut the filet down to thin eat size slices, and before you cook them soak them in salty water in the fridge overnight. When you cook them after that they will have no muddy flavour at all, and you can enjoy them no problem, crumbed or battered.
Hope this adds to your enquiry, believe me I would rather eat a well prepared filet than a sausage with who knows what in it, maybe more mysterious than the old meat pie! LOL
Give it a try! Best of Luck
Barrboy7

NAGG
27-10-2008, 06:26 AM
BB7 ....... Could have been a short & sweet thread:-/ - Still waiting to hear of the positives!
I can say ..... I have tried impoundment barra ( cooked two ways) ...... & I consider myself to be a fair sort of cook. Filleting a 105cm barra was like plunging my hands into a jar of lanolin:(

I do feel that most would have tried impoundment barra at least once ...... & so their comments are valid

But in the end ...... Its up to the individual & their tastes

Chris

black_sheep
27-10-2008, 11:49 AM
As Nagg just said, it's personal. I love my steak but also love my reef fish and some estuary fish like whiting and flatties. I would never keep bream, tailor, jew etc so would definitely not keep a barra (salt or fresh).

If you like most fish or are use to eating freshwater fish like bass or catties, you will probably be able to stomach and enjoy a barra.

Personally, if you have to go through the trouble of disguising a fish's taste by soaking it or using some secret marinade, it's not worth it to me.

Again, it's a personal thing. Barra are put there as a catch and take fishery and I'm all for people keeping a feed as long as it's not wasted. Seen too many metrey's dumped because they full of fat. Keep a 60-80cm instead.

Just my opinion.

SnowE
28-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Not sure about Barra from Monduran, but my advice would be look at the Barra (same goes for Yella's as well), I have found that the leaner looking ones are pretty good on the chew.

If they have a humped head and huge shoulders, I release them, as I once tried a Yellow Belly like this (on another persons advice), and it was shite. I have tried Barra from Tinaroo, Peter Faust, many fresh water billabongs in the NT & Cape York and have found them all OK, not as good as Salties (Barra from the mouth of the Roper area are my favourites;D ), and not a patch on Reef fish, but still better than snags IMO, and it certainly doesn't hurt to take a few fish from these stocked impoundments.

Thats my two bobs worth.

Cheers,
Snowman

warrior
28-10-2008, 07:28 PM
i have had a couple of fish out of there, ran out of food this winter on a trip up there got a couple of 70s these were caught out from the sticks and were lean and very silver ,went back put them in foil with capsicum onion cheese oil pepper and salt ,cooked them on the barby and was shocked as too how nice they tasted,no fat in them at all ,as b65 said the leaner the better and around that 700mm range would be the biggest you would go.good luck

Tim_N
28-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I reckon the go is to set your Red Claw traps on the way out, first thing in the morning and pull them in when you have finished your days Barra fishing.
If you want to try something from the sweet water, the Red Claw is probably a better option.
Tim

BR65
28-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Tim, are there red claw in Mondy, Ive never seen any trap floats?

cheers
brian

NAGG
28-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Tim, are there red claw in Mondy, Ive never seen any trap floats?

cheers
brian

last month we saw quite a few milk bottles & floats (maybe 10) ...... on the left opposite the cattle yards & near the cut through

But ...... what does that mean ::)

Chris

mylestom
28-10-2008, 07:52 PM
First catch the fish, been very slow up here.

The pro from the tour only caught three in practice yesterday. Four today in the final. Tough for all

If you want to keep one at Monduran, the silver slimmer ones are probably the Awoonga strain. Yes and have tried and ok if your into freshwater fish.

The solid fish are more than likely the Bowen strain and tend to be larger for their size and stubborn.

Have fish the territory and not that much different to Billabong barra. You have to realise that not everyone has access to saltwater barra. Their is a difference, but the preparation is the important part.

First catch the fish, Bleed, gill and slash tail wrist, fillet, discard all dark and bloody flesh. Ice,salt and water for 20 mins to hour and half. When you cook add teaspoon of Malaysian hot curry powder(or equivelant) to the bread crumbs, will help improve the flavour.

Myself probably keep one in four to five months fishing, grandkids like Pa to bring one home sometimes. Personally go catch a good flathead, or Mangrove Jack or Fingermark.

Good luck and hope the fishing improves at Monduran very quickly.

Regards

Trev

pontificator
28-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

I started off a bit discouraged. OK, very discouraged. But I keep seeing the grey nomads at the cleaning station, and they can't all be trying the for the first time and I hope snags are on the menu if they want them. thus somewhat encouraged

I have a little bit of a personal issue with 100% catch and release so would like to find a way.

Plenty to be going on with here, and pls keep the hints coming. Up there from 9/11

Moonlighter
28-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Re Red claw in Monduran - doesn't seem to be, although we only tried the once and only got a few shrimp. Not sure what the experience of others is?

Grant

BR65
28-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

I started off a bit discouraged. OK, very discouraged. But I keep seeing the grey nomads at the cleaning station, and they can't all be trying the for the first time and I hope snags are on the menu if they want them. thus somewhat encouraged

I have a little bit of a personal issue with 100% catch and release so would like to find a way.

Plenty to be going on with here, and pls keep the hints coming. Up there from 9/11

Each to their own on the C & R thingy mate, if you wanna knock one or two on the head to eat, you comply with size and bag limits, youve got your SIP, happy days, go hard:)

Some, read me, choose to C & R cause the thought is there are better fish to eat, if youve got to go to all that trouble to make a fresh piece of fish palatable, why bother, you can allways go and knock off a couple of flathead on soft plastics for tea.
Ive read others comments on how good the freshies taste, and have spoken to plenty of people at the camp ground who take their limit every chance they get.
Like I said, as long its legal, and not left in the bin, at the end of the day, happy days.
Good luck on your trip up, and please let us know how you go with the taste side of things, very interesting subject
cheers
brian

BARRAkid
28-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I myself love a feed of reef fish or the odd grunter or jew but will not kill a barra :'(
It is a fisherie that you are more then welcome to take a fish out of and that is what your pirmets and stuff like that go to re stocking the dam im young and even i know it is not worth killing a great freshwater fish for a feed when they are not the best eating and for the price and effort of making the fish taste good it would be cheaper to just buy some sausages or a burger.
These fish do not breed what is released in there is what you can catch you always see reports of people traveling long distances to catch the fish that Queensland is well known for but they go home empty handed and every fish you kill is making it harder to catch more.
The thrill that you got out of catching that barra normally after about 500 casts just think is it worth killing it for food :-/
Take a picture they even look better in a pic alive ;D
Even one a person adds up

cheers BK

Barraboy7
28-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Barrakid. there have been around 3 million released into Awoonga alone.
Many reef species and estuary fish are under threat as well, with zonings and closures and bag limits etc.

Like most here its an occasional one to try and see how they eat. I know some take fish home regularly and we may be surprised just how many do get eaten! Like most of us here, when I show people the pics, they pass out when they see the size of them, then cannot be revived when I tell them we sent them all back! My old dad just spits the dummy every time I tell him about it.
Some people just cannot believe we caught twelve of these on our last trip and never brought one home to eat, especially the ladies LOL!!
Guess they all grew up in the Fish Depression hey! I put one up on Facebook and about 5 comments re the pic were all to do with seeing that fish as FOOD!

The C and R approach is well supported, but me thinks that this is still the minority, especially with many trollers as vistors? Be interested to hear others opinions on that.
Cheers
Barraboy7

pontificator
28-10-2008, 09:47 PM
ooops just turned my how to eat impoundment barra into a catch and release -v- eat forum. So far I have kept one, and released a few. Unlike the current thinking on C&R, I am happy enough to fish for food, but am starting to wonder about pure C&R - must be old age :-)

Sorry about that, and knowing where I am coming from, happy to read the pros and cons of keeping -v- C&R, but am mostly interested to learn which ones, if any, are easy to turn into a reasonable feed without too much trouble. And how

BARRAkid
28-10-2008, 09:56 PM
There is a litte difference really barra unless salt or can get to salt have to be stocked reef fish breed :-[ But they would have to stock it with that many barra to make it worth wile with meat fisho's, poor handling of fish,fingerling getting eatin or die,fish that can't be revived and fish kills all adds up really.
Wonder what monduran and Awoonga would be like if it was catch and release fisherie :-/
I Don't complain when i see pictures of barra that have been killed unless they where just dumped >:( But aslong as people are following the limites they are there so it doesnt get fished out i am happy. A good barra is a good barra dead or alive but it would be nicer to see it swim away so someone else can have the chance to find out why these fish are so fun to catch.

cheers BK

BR65
29-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah lateral, wouldnt be the first thread I've seen spiral out of control due to the c&r vs kill&grill debate.
Maybe try the fillets cut into small bite sized pieces, shallow fried hot and quick in a simple beer batter, then dipped in to some sweet chilli sauce? I use that method for fish like kingies, AJ's etc.

NAGG
29-10-2008, 06:18 PM
ooops just turned my how to eat impoundment barra into a catch and release -v- eat forum. So far I have kept one, and released a few. Unlike the current thinking on C&R, I am happy enough to fish for food, but am starting to wonder about pure C&R - must be old age :-)

Sorry about that, and knowing where I am coming from, happy to read the pros and cons of keeping -v- C&R, but am mostly interested to learn which ones, if any, are easy to turn into a reasonable feed without too much trouble. And how

Lateral ....... Yes this is one of those threads that can easily develop into a C&R Vs Take ......... Yes I just deleted Kill & Fillet.:-[
As we know ..... These are put & take fisheries ...... & people are entitled to catch barra & take them for the table ....... & very few would begrudge that! Most people that C&R except it ...... As long as its not wasted:)

Now ...... What does get up my goat

Are the people that roll up with 2 & 3 Eskies / Trailblazers/ industrial fridges ..... & go out & attempt to fill these bad boys during their trip .......... Gone is the Aussie spirit of a fair thing & in comes greed - - as if it is their god given right:(

These tossers are the ones ....... that I dislike with a passion>:( - They will even use the excuse that their bag limit includes their wife ..... who never touches a rod ..... or their kid that is too young to even attempt to land a barra :( .......... & yes there are enough of them!
This is no exaggeration ....... I've seen it .... Last Month we spoke to a guy that knocked a metery on the head ........ & had to give it to some others because he ran out of room in his Trailblazer ........... "He had his relatives that wanted some barra " :( - This is the stuff that sucks

Chris

NormC
29-10-2008, 09:14 PM
My wife can handle the flavour of impoundment barra (just above legal size), but I cannot.
We have tried most remedies - soak in salt water and soak in Lemonade to name a couple. Might make a small difference, but not enough for me.

If I want to eat Barra that catch myself, I head North. Fortunately we are able to do that regularly these days. Spent 5 months in NT this year and will spend at least 6 months up there next year.

Up there, I love catching Barra and we keep some to eat. But Threadfin Salmon, Mangrove Jack and Fingermark are all better eating fish in my opinion.

My suggestin is that if you can, keep a small one (60cm) and give it a try. That way you will know. If, like most, you don't like it much, enjoy the fishing and let them go for someone else to catch.

Norm C

FNQCairns
29-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Lateral ....... Yes this is one of those threads that can easily develop into a C&R Vs Take ......... Yes I just deleted Kill & Fillet.:-[
As we know ..... These are put & take fisheries ...... & people are entitled to catch barra & take them for the table ....... & very few would begrudge that! Most people that C&R except it ...... As long as its not wasted:)

Now ...... What does get up my goat

Are the people that roll up with 2 & 3 Eskies / Trailblazers/ industrial fridges ..... & go out & attempt to fill these bad boys during their trip .......... Gone is the Aussie spirit of a fair thing & in comes greed - - as if it is their god given right:(

These tossers are the ones ....... that I dislike with a passion>:( - They will even use the excuse that their bag limit includes their wife ..... who never touches a rod ..... or their kid that is too young to even attempt to land a barra :( .......... & yes there are enough of them!
This is no exaggeration ....... I've seen it .... Last Month we spoke to a guy that knocked a metery on the head ........ & had to give it to some others because he ran out of room in his Trailblazer ........... "He had his relatives that wanted some barra " :( - This is the stuff that sucks

Chris

Yeah but you know there is a whole other level, we have a lake called Tinaroo up here, lot's of easy access foreshore, second last time I was there the rangers came down to make sure we were just day tripping because they wanted their sleeping tax.

I asked how many Mum/dad and kids do you see around the foreshore fishing for fun while visiting, "hardly never" was the reply....what a strange reply:-[

I know why, this dam is elitist and enabled by SIP, is monduran forcing the same behaviours, never been there so cannot say.

Anyway I cannot help thinking that if someone ate all the barra the typical family could come back to the lake armed with just 20 dollars worth of rod reel line float hook and a worm, without jumping through costly and minority serving (dare I say it again) - hoops to enable recfishing elitists.

cheers fnq

NAGG
30-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah but you know there is a whole other level, we have a lake called Tinaroo up here, lot's of easy access foreshore, second last time I was there the rangers came down to make sure we were just day tripping because they wanted their sleeping tax.

I asked how many Mum/dad and kids do you see around the foreshore fishing for fun while visiting, "hardly never" was the reply....what a strange reply:-[

I know why, this dam is elitist and enabled by SIP, is monduran forcing the same behaviours, never been there so cannot say.

Anyway I cannot help thinking that if someone ate all the barra the typical family could come back to the lake armed with just 20 dollars worth of rod reel line float hook and a worm, without jumping through costly and minority serving (dare I say it again) - hoops to enable recfishing elitists.

cheers fnq

Hmmm ....... Having spent some time at Tinaroo back in May - I didn't see too many people doing anything on that magnificent dam ( a few boat fishoes & a couple skiers) ..... 1 or two camping
On the SIP ....... Most Qld stocked impoundments require you to have one ....... & the money goes into the stocking program - I think its a good thing8-) ....... but that little bit of paper shouldn't be viewed as a rite to harvest fish - Thats what I'm saying
.......... Is it elitist what we do :-/ I dont think so - we fish for the love of the sport - & in an odd kind of way .... most of us care for the fish ( knotless nets , lip grippers , lay the fish on wet brag mats , support the fish when holding it - take a photo as quickly as possible ...... & swim the fish:)

Yes.... I've seen mum / dad & kids fishing the bank at both Mondy & Awoonga recently ......... which is great to see!

Cheers

Chris

Tim_N
30-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Brian,
I'm not too sure about the Red Claw situation at Mondy, there's plenty at Awoonga though.
I have never fished Mondy, I thought it would hold Red Claw too.
I know, I'll have to go and find out for myself, mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Tim

black_sheep
30-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Tim - from what I've heard, Mondy has never had red claw! At times they've had blue claw (very similar) but they are few and far between. No one really targets them at Mondy.

When we fished Tinaroo recently, I couldn't believe how many pots we saw up there - considering there were hardly any boats out.

Steve B
30-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Redclaw...i am prettyy sure not....Some say yes others no.....If so, there wouldnt be too many. Barra love them.

Lateral: heres an idea if you want a fresh feed. Get a couple of schrimp pots. put them around a few of the weed beds near the ramp etc......get some live schrimp.....tie up near some trees (apparently under any bird/eagle nest) and send em down live on a bream style rig........catch some bass.....they taste OK.

Thats how most blokes were catching them in the MASA fishing classic. healthy fish too.

just a thought.

steve

FNQCairns
30-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Hmmm ....... Having spent some time at Tinaroo back in May - I didn't see too many people doing anything on that magnificent dam ( a few boat fishoes & a couple skiers) ..... 1 or two camping
On the SIP ....... Most Qld stocked impoundments require you to have one ....... & the money goes into the stocking program - I think its a good thing8-) ....... but that little bit of paper shouldn't be viewed as a rite to harvest fish - Thats what I'm saying
.......... Is it elitist what we do :-/ I dont think so - we fish for the love of the sport - & in an odd kind of way .... most of us care for the fish ( knotless nets , lip grippers , lay the fish on wet brag mats , support the fish when holding it - take a photo as quickly as possible ...... & swim the fish:)

Yes.... I've seen mum / dad & kids fishing the bank at both Mondy & Awoonga recently ......... which is great to see!

Cheers

Chris

yeah I agree not elitist from the perspective of the next bloke (brothers in arms) in a boat casting for barra that's for sure but from the day tripping spur of the moment traditional family that would cast a line if allowed like they were allowed to under management that did not favour only a specific self interest user group.

What sort of outcry would we see if the typical family was denied access to say the bribie foreshore with a $20 rod to catch a whiting unless they extra-organised their simple day and paid a tax under threat of punitive punishment so the offshore boys can have better fun fishing for a species the average punter couldn't care less about??

Elitest for sure and in absolute terms but of coarse the traditional family and traditional family fishing behaviours/values must be ignored to deny it.

The greenies are not the only ideology placing recfishing in disrepute IMO.

SIP is the only recfishing arena where if the greenies had it their way and banned just C&R, it would benefit the general public by a factor of 100/1.

They could fix it today by simply no longer under law directly disadvantaging anyone not outwardly fishing in any SIP elitist style from the shore, we can justify anything these days with PC self interested blinkers so they could do it with the stroke of a pen but I wouldn't expect the average committed sip dam user to believe it would benefit them personally so it will not ever happen:(.

cheers fnq

Jeremy87
30-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I've tried billabong barra and considered it palatable. It was bled straight away and cooked up in a curry. I am of the opinion that with a strong enough curry you can make just about anything taste edible.

Generally speaking i've found that most fresh water fish taste like crap and the people who eat them have been brought up on these fish and don't actually realise how bad it tastes. when i eat fish i like to actually like to taste the flavour of the fish itself. If you have to soak it in vinegar or lemon or some fandangle sauce then i can't be bothered.

If impoundment barra were as good to chew as salties i would definatley be keeping a couple to take home for the freezer. Unfortunatley they aren't so i practice catch and release not just because of sustainability and sport reasons but because i'd rather eat a piece of snapper from a shop than a piece of mud i caught myself.

Steve B
30-10-2008, 11:24 AM
yeah I agree not elitist from the perspective of the next bloke (brothers in arms) in a boat casting for barra that's for sure but from the day tripping spur of the moment traditional family that would cast a line if allowed like they were allowed to under management that did not favour only a specific self interest user group.

What sort of outcry would we see if the typical family was denied access to say the bribie foreshore with a $20 rod to catch a whiting unless they extra-organised their simple day and paid a tax under threat of punitive punishment so the offshore boys can have better fun fishing for a species the average punter couldn't care less about??

Elitest for sure and in absolute terms but of coarse the traditional family and traditional family fishing behaviours/values must be ignored to deny it.

SIP is the only recfishing arena where if the greenies had it their way and banned just C&R, it would benefit the general public by a factor of 100/1.

They could fix it today by simply no longer under law directly disadvantaging anyone not outwardly fishing in any SIP elitist style from the shore, we can justify anything these days with PC self interested blinkers so they could do it with the stroke of a pen but I wouldn't expect the average committed sip dam user to believe it would benefit them personally so it will not ever happen:(.

cheers fnq

FNQ

I am trying to understand what your saying.

So, If a family fishes off the edge, $20 combo in hand etc.....they shouldn't have to pay the $7 SIP????.....what are they fishing for catfish??? no barra......without SIP there would be no barra for them to catch......or for the so called elitists.

You fish..you pay. simple. Whether your the local guide on the dam or a first timer having a BBQ and a beer on the bank with ya kids

MASA has been stocking Monduran for 15yrs......not for any particular agenda......just to give people a chance to catch a barra without having to travel to FNQ or NT. Without the SIP program....we'd be stuffed.....so would Tinaroo, faust, teemburra.....most dams with fish.

Steve

PS what I do wish is that ALL SIP money went to stocking and not the % that is 'administraion costs' being sliced off our contribution to a sport we love.

black_sheep
30-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I too do not have a problem with paying $7 a day or $35 a year. Gee, can't even buy a pack of worms with that nowadays. As Steve said - no SIP, no barra, bass, togas etc in a lot of our dams.

NAGG
30-10-2008, 03:38 PM

cheers fnq

FNQ ...... maybe you view it as elitist . > Me I come from NSW where once we hit 18 - we have to hold a licence to fish anywhere for anything ....... no matter be it for a stocked bass or trout ...a prawn or yabby... right through to snapper or marlin ..

So I really cant show any empathy for your argument ........ & I am all for paying a tax if it is used to benefit a fishery.
I drive 1000s of Km a year to fish your magnificent stocked impoundments & handing over $35 is money invested IMO

Chris

PS ...... Go to NZ & see what you pay for a trout licence ($100 NZ from memory .... about $1.50 Aus;D )

Roo
30-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I get a yearly SIP for $35 for myself and themissus even tho' this year was the first time I've ever used it more than once! as Chris has said, Coming from NSW, we are used to paying to improve our fishing opportunities and habitats. Looking forward to Hinze Dam being added to the SIP program.....its a pain in the Ar$e to have to get another permit just for that dam.....and I can't get it online or from anywhere Local to me so It precludes an early launch on this dam without having a fishing buddy in QLD to pick one up for me!

Barraboy7
30-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Jeremy 87
What a load of self opinionated bollocks you just wrote!
Thousands of Aussie fisho's eat freshwater fish, and according to you they all are eating mud are they? They dont realise how bad they taste?? What sort of elitist mumbo jumbo is that? Very derogatory.
I grew up eating lovely yellowbelly and Murray Cod from the Condamine, still love them today, they are great tasting fish. As are many other fresh and salt water fish.
You completely contradict your self saying fresh water barra are palatable and then refer to them as mud, make up your mind.
Why cant some people just get over it, its OK, its legal, to eat a Dam Barra. Like most comments, if thats what you want to do, fine! Why is it though that other intolerant people come out and talk down to other fishos who do things differently... beyond me???
After all, This thread was started with an enquiry on how to prepare and cook a fish, thats all.
Regards
Barraboy7

Barraboy7

oldboot
30-10-2008, 10:53 PM
I think it is possible that we have been spoilt by having so many top quality eating fish in this country.......most of which can speak for them selves in flavour and texture.... with no particular cooking fancies.

overseas they east all sorts of stuff we consider most unpalatable..... carp, tapalia, catfish ( don't the creole's go on about cat fish stew).

In this country fish stews, curries and all the thinks we do with cheap cuts of meat are most uncommon.

perhaps that weedy or muddy tint is an aquired taste...... who knows.

Afterall some people eat asparagas from choice..........I am convinced there are two sorts of people..... thise who like asparagas and those who can actulay tast it.;D

cheers

Jeremy87
30-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Jeremy 87
What a load of self opinionated bollocks you just wrote!
Thousands of Aussie fisho's eat freshwater fish, and according to you they all are eating mud are they? They dont realise how bad they taste?? What sort of elitist mumbo jumbo is that? Very derogatory.
I grew up eating lovely yellowbelly and Murray Cod from the Condamine, still love them today, they are great tasting fish. As are many other fresh and salt water fish.
You completely contradict your self saying fresh water barra are palatable and then refer to them as mud, make up your mind.
Why cant some people just get over it, its OK, its legal, to eat a Dam Barra. Like most comments, if thats what you want to do, fine! Why is it though that other intolerant people come out and talk down to other fishos who do things differently... beyond me???
After all, This thread was started with an enquiry on how to prepare and cook a fish, thats all.
Regards
Barraboy7

Barraboy7

If you missed the sarcasm of the first two sentances its not my fault. Every time i've had someone cook me fresh water fish it's either tasted like crap or the flavour has been smothered so much that i couldn't tell wether i was eating fish or chicken. I don't have a problem with people taking fish from impoundments but from my experiences when eating fresh water fish they have all tasted like mud and on that basis i wouldn't personally bother when i can just as easily go and catch some snapper, flathead or mackeral. If choosing to eat something that doesn't taste like mud over something that does makes me an elitist then ok I'm an elitist.

pontificator
31-10-2008, 12:54 AM
can still see some hints and tips on eating in there, including 'don't bother', so thanks and keep 'em coming.

Have enjoyed yellowbelly and bass from a few impoundments, and know how to prepare them. And eeltail catties, but too lazy for that ;-)

I know that people have a go at the Lake M barra on the plate, if only because the cabin BBQs usually have a lingering pong, and I see plenty of action at the cleaning table.

So far I have a few tips, and intend to try them out, probably on a skinny and not too big 'un.

Crikey I'm pleased I didn't post on the slow swim to revive -v- spear 'em in like a tuna issue :-) And before anyone wants to spear me, apart from the unsuccesful eating effort, (and the much anticipated succesful eating effort) all the rest of mine to date have been released boatside in the water. Ok Ok , some were not exactly next to the boat ;-)

Rick K

Rick K

Little grey men
31-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Seems like it's hit and miss with a lot of species. Water quality, if they have been living in weed and a stack of other factors can determine if a fish will tast great or make you gag.
The first yellowbelly I pulled from North Pine Dam was beautiful, I've eaten a lot of yellowbelly and this one was by far the best I've ever tasted. The next one I kept was horrible.
Different time of year and the fish was caught in heavy weed, but in the same water.
I'm guessing that Monduran barra would be the same. Bit hard to pick though isn't it.

And Jeremy 87.....mate, that sarcasm was a bit hard to pick. As someone who grew up eating freshwater fish I'm still rubbing the side of my face after that slap.
One of the best feeds of fish I've ever had is eel tail cattie pulled from the creek near my parents house, Barraboy 7 knows it well, bread crumbed with a nice salad. mmmmmmmm cattie.

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 11:20 AM
FNQ

I am trying to understand what your saying.

So, If a family fishes off the edge, $20 combo in hand etc.....they shouldn't have to pay the $7 SIP????.....what are they fishing for catfish??? no barra......without SIP there would be no barra for them to catch......or for the so called elitists.

You fish..you pay. simple. Whether your the local guide on the dam or a first timer having a BBQ and a beer on the bank with ya kids

MASA has been stocking Monduran for 15yrs......not for any particular agenda......just to give people a chance to catch a barra without having to travel to FNQ or NT. Without the SIP program....we'd be stuffed.....so would Tinaroo, faust, teemburra.....most dams with fish.

Steve

PS what I do wish is that ALL SIP money went to stocking and not the % that is 'administration costs' being sliced off our contribution to a sport we love.

The way it used to work for decades before exclusionary practices and self interest groups became appealing to fisheries management, was a family could head to their favourite watering hole ....might be a sip today? throw a line in - as simple as that, not many people care or actually give a stuff about catching a barra and would happy do exactly what what many used to before the regulated takeover.

This may shock some but once the practice of throwing a poverty pac fishing line with the most basic of granny knot tied tackle, with a stick stuck into the ground as a holder was very commonplace, these people have no interest in sport fish, just to have their child feel/see a bite was a reward to all, today in this self sophisticated era the elitist minority cannot comprehend that any person fishing from the shore is not targeting a stocked species...that's plot lost ....bigtime lost.

For junior just out of nappies even to be helped to pull in a species a sip elitist would consider trash of no glory value is the family aim, not for a child on what in kinder times was a traditional family outing to do the elitist grown-ups out of their mana fish species on their junk equipment and techniques ie dad cast, props it up, kid walks away and look at water bugs, dad yells you have got a bite kid runs over holds rod more bites dad helps and they pull in together an unregulated trash fish. Once it was an simple excuse to get out and about in a healthy family activity, today it has to be the reason for the activity or the law will clobber the family for a minority groups benefit only.

Today it seems some groups will walk straight over a kid/family to keep a prize they ideal for themselves, does more damage to all but benefits very few.

The conservationist groups are actively involved in this stereotypical exclusionist behaviour ATM and believe it or not if they were fully - and they will, working to actively take catch and release away from all in this country (they would get no argument from me)....who for the sip could complain? What would be their community benifit counter argument (outside of the chamber of commerce)? considering the parallel ideology both sip and the conservation groups operate under.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 11:45 AM
FNQ ...... maybe you view it as elitist . > Me I come from NSW where once we hit 18 - we have to hold a licence to fish anywhere for anything ....... no matter be it for a stocked bass or trout ...a prawn or yabby... right through to snapper or marlin ..

So I really cant show any empathy for your argument ........ & I am all for paying a tax if it is used to benefit a fishery.
I drive 1000s of Km a year to fish your magnificent stocked impoundments & handing over $35 is money invested IMO

Chris

PS ...... Go to NZ & see what you pay for a trout licence ($100 NZ from memory .... about $1.50 Aus;D )

Yeah I lived in NSW near this time and was gaining a Government resource conservation department paypacket, the main aim of the licence was to decrease amenity to all while extolling the virtue of benefits to the common already indoctrinated rec-fisher, it worked of coarse, tradional areas to take a kid have cleared dramaticly, lots of elbow room in philosophy as the basic ones that wouldn't fish but think they may have grandads rod up the back shed somewhere and will give it a try after Sunday lunch for 30 minute/2hours, lots and lots of adults cannot even cast!!! The license was specificly chosen to target those that now will as a result never ever bother to learn at any age, per capita more and more every year - as always with a big stick back it up it has become a roaring success in what was it's prime anti fishing objective.

Some types will consider this a good thing. Most will abide by the regulated and designed in lack of amenity and never learn together with their family on the simplest of occasions, these where individuals that never felt the driven urge to lean how to fish, but some would progress there over time.

Fishing was once at this level about the act and the involvement of family, today the playstation is a far more appealing idea.

I do understand that talking against a regulated practice cult-like in philosophy toward a more centred approach that benefits also those outside their door while disadvantages no one inside is like talking to a wall...doesn't make trying wrong though.

Honest eat them, do not feel bad about it for SIP reasons anyway, the force is with the takers of sip fish...go with the force Luke.....ahem.. NAGG;):-/:)

cheers fnq

Roo
31-10-2008, 01:04 PM
....... the main aim of the licence was to decrease amenity to all while extolling the virtue of benefits to the common already indoctrinated rec-fisher, it worked of coarse, tradional areas to take a kid have cleared dramaticly, lots of elbow room in philosophy as the basic ones that wouldn't fish but think they may have grandads rod up the back shed somewhere and will give it a try after Sunday lunch for 30 minute/2hours, lots and lots of adults cannot even cast!!! The license was specificly chosen to target those that now will as a result never ever bother to learn at any age, per capita more and more every year - as always with a big stick back it up it has become a roaring success in what was it's prime anti fishing objective......

FNQ, Is this your opinion or a fact? I'm starting to wonder if you've got your aluminium hat on when you let this one out of the bag.:builder2: sounds suspiciously like a conspiracy theory.....but then I'd think that because of the chip inserted into my scalp so they can control my mind with aerosol sprays;D mmm flowers! i feel better now::)

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 01:07 PM
FNQ, Is this your opinion or a fact? I'm starting to wonder if you've got your aluminium hat on when you let this one out of the bag.:builder2: sounds suspiciously like a conspiracy theory.....but then I'd think that because of the chip inserted into my scalp so they can control my mind with aerosol sprays;D mmm flowers! i feel better now::)

Cool:P as long as you feel better...cause thats what it is all about8-);) but seriously what argument for/against do you have...any?::)

cheersfnq

Steve B
31-10-2008, 02:01 PM
The way it used to work for decades before exclusionary practices and self interest groups became appealing to fisheries management, was a family could head to their favourite watering hole ....might be a sip today? throw a line in - as simple as that, not many people care or actually give a stuff about catching a barra and would happy do exactly what what many used to before the regulated takeover.

This may shock some but once the practice of throwing a poverty pac fishing line with the most basic of granny knot tied tackle, with a stick stuck into the ground as a holder was very commonplace, these people have no interest in sport fish, just to have their child feel/see a bite was a reward to all, today in this self sophisticated era the elitist minority cannot comprehend that any person fishing from the shore is not targeting a stocked species...that's plot lost ....bigtime lost.

For junior just out of nappies even to be helped to pull in a species a sip elitist would consider trash of no glory value is the family aim, not for a child on what in kinder times was a traditional family outing to do the elitist grown-ups out of their mana fish species on their junk equipment and techniques ie dad cast, props it up, kid walks away and look at water bugs, dad yells you have got a bite kid runs over holds rod more bites dad helps and they pull in together an unregulated trash fish. Once it was an simple excuse to get out and about in a healthy family activity, today it has to be the reason for the activity or the law will clobber the family for a minority groups benefit only.

Today it seems some groups will walk straight over a kid/family to keep a prize they ideal for themselves, does more damage to all but benefits very few.

The conservationist groups are actively involved in this stereotypical exclusionist behaviour ATM and believe it or not if they were fully - and they will, working to actively take catch and release away from all in this country (they would get no argument from me)....who for the sip could complain? What would be their community benifit counter argument (outside of the chamber of commerce)? considering the parallel ideology both sip and the conservation groups operate under.

cheers fnq

You forgot to add "In My Opinion" at the end FNQ

Who are the 'excusionary practices" excluding???

Who are these 'self interest groups'????

They must be a bad bunch putting barra in dams for families to catch........even off the bank with a $20 combo if they desire. I talk to 'the MAJORITY' of fisherman/kids/familys on the bank with handlines etc, and at the local tackle shop.....and they want barra.....catties are fun too, but they want barra...simple.....that IS THE MAJORITY

I fish of the bank for catfish with my daughter.....I fish out of a boat for catfish with my family.. If we catch a barra thats cool.....lucky i pay my SIP!!!!!

I pay my SIP every year so I can catch a barra......with my family.

Its $35 a year well spent in my opinion. About the price of a playstaion game!

I am part of the overall majority.....not elitist.

steve

Jeremy87
31-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Seems like it's hit and miss with a lot of species. Water quality, if they have been living in weed and a stack of other factors can determine if a fish will tast great or make you gag.
The first yellowbelly I pulled from North Pine Dam was beautiful, I've eaten a lot of yellowbelly and this one was by far the best I've ever tasted. The next one I kept was horrible.
Different time of year and the fish was caught in heavy weed, but in the same water.
I'm guessing that Monduran barra would be the same. Bit hard to pick though isn't it.

And Jeremy 87.....mate, that sarcasm was a bit hard to pick. As someone who grew up eating freshwater fish I'm still rubbing the side of my face after that slap.
One of the best feeds of fish I've ever had is eel tail cattie pulled from the creek near my parents house, Barraboy 7 knows it well, bread crumbed with a nice salad. mmmmmmmm cattie.

Yeh it was worded a bit harsh, but too often i've had country folk cook me up fresh water fish that taste like a swamp and I've had to eat it out of politeness while they've commented on how good they reakon it is (in the same way that I'll chow down on a big piece of tailor while other people turn there nose up to it). Basically my point was if i can't handle the flavour of a fish simply pan fried i couldn't be bothered eating it. Not when there are so many easily caught palatable species. Nothing to do with catch and release ethics its just that i reakon they taste like mud.

Little grey men
31-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeh it was worded a bit harsh, but too often i've had country folk cook me up fresh water fish that taste like a swamp and I've had to eat it out of politeness while they've commented on how good they reakon it is (in the same way that I'll chow down on a big piece of tailor while other people turn there nose up to it). Basically my point was if i can't handle the flavour of a fish simply pan fried i couldn't be bothered eating it. Not when there are so many easily caught palatable species. Nothing to do with catch and release ethics its just that i reakon they taste like mud.

No worries mate. Us hillbillies have tough skins, but if you push us too far we'll steal your cat and do things to it ;D
I know what your saying. My Father in law used to serve me up a big plate of mullet and go on about how beautiful it tasted. I thought it was more like bream bait, but ate it to make him happy...Yuk !!!
But honestly mate you should try this catfish that the old lady makes. scrumdidlyumshish. ;) But you'll have to take my word for it.

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 03:52 PM
You forgot to add "In My Opinion" at the end FNQ

Who are the 'excusionary practices" excluding???

Who are these 'self interest groups'????

They must be a bad bunch putting barra in dams for families to catch........even off the bank with a $20 combo if they desire. I talk to 'the MAJORITY' of fisherman/kids/familys on the bank with handlines etc, and at the local tackle shop.....and they want barra.....catties are fun too, but they want barra...simple.....that IS THE MAJORITY

I fish of the bank for catfish with my daughter.....I fish out of a boat for catfish with my family.. If we catch a barra thats cool.....lucky i pay my SIP!!!!!

I pay my SIP every year so I can catch a barra......with my family.

Its $35 a year well spent in my opinion. About the price of a playstaion game!

I am part of the overall majority.....not elitist.

steve

Sadly it is not opinion if it has excluded just 1 family......and the precept is a really really simple one but relies on old fashioned values in extent.

It's good that you have had the exposure to the culture + feel the benefit to peruse your chosen recreation with your family that you will organise and pay to enjoy it as it suits and has suited your situation many times....who can begrudge you that.

What lifestyle/environmental danger do you personally see in say ...a single mum who has no culture in what fishing sip is nor could she care, was taking her 2 young boys to the waters edge with a crappy hand line granny knot and a very badly put on worm?

Why does she and her kids have to bow at the alter of the those who SIP benefits, I understand a person can fish for red claw without paying the elites their dues but a trash-fish is out of bounds nay even the viewing or feeling of a bite is out of bounds...beggars belief that exclusion for the sake of exclusion can be justified....like what are they going to do these 3? trash the impoundment, be too ugly and low brow on the shore, are they going to single-handedly trash the money making side of the industry, catch them all? looking real hard here why excluding these 3 individuals cannot be seen for what it socially is.

No-one has told me why these 3 or any multiple/example of "what a family is" engaging in what was the basic act of fishing is so dangerous or damaging to what the sip fishers they want to protect...never forget once there was no sip and thousands of family's used to throw a line as an excuse for a BBQ at the waters edge, it was never about the fish, that was a bonus it was about the act, they probably also took a frizby, even a kite, golly they might even have swam right next to the fishing line while in the act of fishing!!!!!.

Q. Why would these or people like these scare the average SIP benefit-er so much? enough to deny them with the threat of punitive punishment one of the few traditional, (once)most basic experiences our culture has (had) to offer???

It is not about the fish!!!:o:o:o:o

Honest I am battling with the self serving ideology presented as a justification for SIP, need enlightenment.....

cheers fnq

Steve B
31-10-2008, 04:37 PM
FNQ,

I agree what your saying is not about the fish..that I can work out.

I agree, the family on the bank having a BBQ, game of cricket with an unmanned handline and a poorly baited hook.......(fishing being a secondary to the family day out as it were) is a bit harder done by having to fork out for a SIP. But I can show you (ie monduran FAMILY fishing classic) where 800 + people....say 350 families have a great time sharing together aimlessly trying to catch a fish of any kind, mabey even a barra (thanks to SIP) and having a great time doing so. NO ONE HAS complained to anyone from MASA about paying for a permit.

My point is, the extreme MINORITY will be disadvantaged (ie: your single mum situation) as they are not targeting theses barra, just there to have a day out and a swim, mabey a fish...good on them. If they can afford the fuel, bait, $20 combo $7- for a permit seems pretty reasonable.......I mean, if they did catch a barra.....are you going to be the one that says 'oh no you cant take that' to the kid. One day that kid may get the buzz out of fishing and take it up more seriously......better hobbie than a playstaion!!!

Like it or not, we are getting screwed by the Government in many other ways....costing us way more than a SIP....at least this is doing something for the MAJORITY of folk who are targeting stocked fish, not just barra.

I enjoy stocking the dam. I enjoy seeing kids catch any fish....without SIP we wouldnt have anything to catch except catties here. This (my) town relies on the barra trade and associated tourism....not just the so called elitists. Many other inland towns rely on the tourism drawn from SIP and stocking.......it also helps save estuary fishing.....we would all be offshore and hammering wild barra if it wasnt for SIP.

I wont go on.....I have had my say. I do see you point in amongst the educated writings.......I might not be so smart, but I beleive the SIP is a government progam that DOES benefit the MAJORITY of impoundment anglers.....theres not to many goverment policies etc anymore that please the majority of tax payers....minority groups seem to have the upperhand in everything these days, trust me I work for the government and I see it daily. I just wished 100% of SIP went into stocking.

cheers steve

NAGG
31-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Sadly it is not opinion if it has excluded just 1 family......and the precept is a really really simple one but relies on old fashioned values in extent.

It's good that you have had the exposure to the culture + feel the benefit to peruse your chosen recreation with your family that you will organise and pay to enjoy it as it suits and has suited your situation many times....who can begrudge you that.

What lifestyle/environmental danger do you personally see in say ...a single mum who has no culture in what fishing sip is nor could she care, was taking her 2 young boys to the waters edge with a crappy hand line granny knot and a very badly put on worm?

Why does she and her kids have to bow at the alter of the those who SIP benefits, I understand a person can fish for red claw without paying the elites their dues but a trash-fish is out of bounds nay even the viewing or feeling of a bite is out of bounds...beggars belief that exclusion for the sake of exclusion can be justified....like what are they going to do these 3? trash the impoundment, be too ugly and low brow on the shore, are they going to single-handedly trash the money making side of the industry, catch them all? looking real hard here why excluding these 3 individuals cannot be seen for what it socially is.

No-one has told me why these 3 or any multiple/example of "what a family is" engaging in what was the basic act of fishing is so dangerous or damaging to what the sip fishers they want to protect...never forget once there was no sip and thousands of family's used to throw a line as an excuse for a BBQ at the waters edge, it was never about the fish, that was a bonus it was about the act, they probably also took a frizby, even a kite, golly they might even have swam right next to the fishing line while in the act of fishing!!!!!.

Q. Why would these or people like these scare the average SIP benefit-er so much? enough to deny them with the threat of punitive punishment one of the few traditional, (once)most basic experiences our culture has (had) to offer???

It is not about the fish!!!:o:o:o:o

Honest I am battling with the self serving ideology, need enlightenment.....

cheers fnq

FNQ ...... I'm struggling too mate
You talk about precluding the batter who is not a benefitter of the SIP ........ That poor single mum with 2 kids who just want to toss in a worm & maybe catch a fish ........ All she has to do & save herself a 20km drive ....is stop at the bridge at Bundaberg & toss that worm into the river ...... or any river or beach or jetty & catch a fish or the kids catch one!
However if she takes just a little bit of her family tax benefit cheque or baby bonus & buys a SIP ..... she can sit on the bank & drown a worm every day of the year if she wishes ........... I mean $0.10 / day is cheap family entertainment ...... .

Now ....:-/ I'm still struggling with your reasoning
& point of argument - as Without the SIP there is no fish & Mrs Battler just needs to go back to that bridge - tie that granny knot & toss that worm .

Chris

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 06:06 PM
But it's the silent majority not a silent minority...OK now as a of the long standing exclusion possibly is just the minority...albeit designer minority and without a change (simple change no threat to the religinon of sip) in the nasty mindset it will always stay a minority.

Case in point I do know of a single mum who was denied giving her 5 year old the experience, not a friend but an minor acquaintance of my wifes through her work who designed to meet us at a nearby SIP lake, travelling from different directions to meet near the middle and give both our kids a outing together, she came with her sons mail order telescopic rod and tacklebox amidst great expectation built up for the kid, we the well versed rec-fishers were not so gullible but had no idea she planing to include fishing just as her father had done for his family many times at that very spot!!! before SIP too!

No complaint to the authorities resulted (give me a break, how deaf are those ears:-[ and what authority would people know to complain (ghost busters)), nor was there a 'bridge' ::), on the way home, actually one but still ruled fully under the same covenant.

We had a visit from the rangers looking for money, Given the opinions voiced fully so far it doesn't take much imagination to derive a possible scenario...... drooling rangers hyped with the thrill of success at catching a single mum and getting to issue one of these psychopaths caught red handed trying to foster a balance upbringing for their child, behind them a crowd of curious of SIPs chanting go them, go them, go them::).

Of coarse this wouldn't happen as I stated it above we are far to sophisticated these days in such publicly displays of hate toward a kid and his mother we have laws that will achieve the same goal, thank you very much.

Yeah we are a credit as a society that's for sure.

Happily no one told the kid the reason he couldn't fish was because the bad people wouldn't let him lest he might raped their waters of a fish or even a bite...but if someone did they would have been spot on.

When asked the ranger said he hardly ever see's it (or words to that effect) re: average people doing average things and including the act offishing at the lake.

Look, feeling very much like a concerned family member at a religious cult meeting....today to be disappointed at peoples antisocial belief systems is to be nothing but gullible.

Slinking now back to boating chat.

cheers fnq

Whitto
31-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Proberbly a good idea FNQCairns while u think your ahead:-[

NAGG
31-10-2008, 06:14 PM
But it's the silent majority not a silent minority...OK now as a of the long standing exclusion possibly is just the minority...albeit designer minority and without a change (simple change no threat to the religinon of sip) in the nasty mindset it will always stay a minority.

Case in point I do know of a single mum who was denied giving her 5 year old the experience, not a friend but an minor acquaintance of my wifes through her work who designed to meet us at a nearby SIP lake, travelling from different directions to meet near the middle and give both our kids a outing together, she came with her sons mail order telescopic rod and tacklebox amidst great expectation built up for the kid, we the well versed rec-fishers were not so gullible but had no idea she planing to include fishing just as her father had done for his family many times at that very spot!!! before SIP too!

No complaint to the authorities resulted (give me a break, how deaf are those ears:-[ and what authority would people know to complain (ghost busters)), nor was there a 'bridge' ::), on the way home, actually one but still ruled fully under the same covenant.

We had a visit from the rangers looking for money, Given the opinions voiced fully so far it doesn't take much imagination to derive a possible scenario...... drooling rangers hyped with the thrill of success at catching a single mum and getting to issue one of these psychopaths caught red handed trying to foster a balance upbringing for their child, behind them a crowd of curious of SIPs chanting go them, go them, go them::).

Of coarse this wouldn't happen as I stated it above we are far to sophisticated these days in such publicly displays of hate toward a kid and his mother we have laws that will achieve the same goal, thank you very much.

Yeah we are a credit as a society that's for sure.

Happily no one told the kid the reason he couldn't fish was because the bad people wouldn't let him lest he might raped their waters of a fish or even a bite...but if someone did they would have been spot on.

When asked the ranger said he hardly ever see's it (or words to that effect) re: average people doing average things and including the act offishing at the lake.

Look, feeling very much like a concerned family member at a religious cult meeting....today to be disappointed at peoples antisocial belief systems is to be nothing but gullible.

Slinking now back to boating chat.

cheers fnq

FNQ ...... Why didn't you buy her a $7 SIP:-/
I've taken a less fortunate person out fishing with me ........ & provided everything! ......... sorry Whitey;)

NAGG
31-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Well with all this talk of elitist conspiratorial anti bureaucratic SIP talk ......... I'm just happy in the knowledge that this time next week I will be capitalising on my elitist SIP that cost me a massive $35 & be participating in my elitist passtime ..... in between abusing some non conformist poacher that refuses to buy her $7 SIP........:P Then followed by sitting down & sharing my egotistical elitist burramundus experiences with other elitist SIP purchasing bast-rds over a fine ale or 10

Who is going to join me 8-)

Chris

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 06:26 PM
FNQ ...... Why didn't you buy her a $7 SIP:-/
I've taken a less fortunate person out fishing with me ........ & provided everything! ......... sorry Whitey;)

Nagg nowhere within cooee of where we were to purchase one being on the state forest side of the Dam.

cheers fnq

NAGG
31-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Nagg nowhere within cooee of where we were to purchase one being on the state forest side of the Dam.

cheers fnq

Poaching hey !!!;)

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Poaching hey !!!;)

Riddle how many tomato plants will an old style 4 inch gill net grow from just one cold windy winters night on a sip impoundment8-)

I be-grudge no-one their organised legal fishing choices, for sure I will purchase a sip again sometime one day, still I do not blind myself to the designer social engineered aspects of the scheme, the broad damage the has already done can be reversed over time with an injection of socially responsible non ideological management (will not hold my breath though).

I am also not blinded to the positive side of having a sip scheme in existence, just a shame it was not based on more competent regulation and had more competent regulators obviously as a result as nothing has changed.

The scheme can never be a successes IMO until they deal with the broad disadvantage that is SIP to the majority of the community.

Honest, hope you brain them on your trip.

cheers fnq

chewy01
31-10-2008, 07:30 PM
honestly fnq, you talk about the majority being disadvantaged.What a crock.Iv stopped posting on here as a result of this sort of inane crap.Places like monduran dam/gin gin have once again revived due to fish stocking. these guys put in countless hours of their own time to raise these fish.i can say with certainty that there are far more ppl fishing the waterways as a result of places being stocked. In short no sip, no barra.Yes it may cost 7 bucks for a week BUT i am positive more people are converted into lifetime fisherman/people after they have had a bite/landed a barra.Sure people mmust have a permit to fish the 25?? stocked impoundments but as has been stated there are plenty of other places for the single mum to fish. Ok you know one who has been disadvantaged, i know plenty who have never fished b4 come and fished the dam and caught a fish of a lifetime.Imho after seeing my boy cast and land a 111 at the age of 12 it really is a priceless experience.You speak of the "broad " disadvantage of the sip to the "majority" of the community.Well im here to say that in the case of monduran at least without the sip scheme there would just at be no town now. the whole town benifits from having barrimundi in close proximity.In my humble opinion..it does a whole lot more good than bad.
chewy....
P.s. getting back to the thread if any1 knows where brett jones is atm, he had the secret for eating mondy barra... dont shoot me here he rated them.but only one a year,on the bbq i think..

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 08:30 PM
honestly fnq, you talk about the majority being disadvantaged.What a crock.Iv stopped posting on here as a result of this sort of inane crap.Places like monduran dam/gin gin have once again revived due to fish stocking. these guys put in countless hours of their own time to raise these fish.i can say with certainty that there are far more ppl fishing the waterways as a result of places being stocked. In short no sip, no barra.Yes it may cost 7 bucks for a week BUT i am positive more people are converted into lifetime fisherman/people after they have had a bite/landed a barra.Sure people mmust have a permit to fish the 25?? stocked impoundments but as has been stated there are plenty of other places for the single mum to fish. Ok you know one who has been disadvantaged, i know plenty who have never fished b4 come and fished the dam and caught a fish of a lifetime.Imho after seeing my boy cast and land a 111 at the age of 12 it really is a priceless experience.You speak of the "broad " disadvantage of the sip to the "majority" of the community.Well im here to say that in the case of monduran at least without the sip scheme there would just at be no town now. the whole town benifits from having barrimundi in close proximity.In my humble opinion..it does a whole lot more good than bad.
chewy....
P.s. getting back to the thread if any1 knows where brett jones is atm, he had the secret for eating mondy barra... dont shoot me here he rated them.but only one a year,on the bbq i think..

Who said RIP SIP, it's a identifiably flawed system and that stands out to anyone without blinkers on for the reasons I have stated above with my reluctant example (possibly I should buy a lotto ticket).

Nope no where else for this person to fish, I know the basics do not fit today's push and shove the silent majority around philosophy but she was not at 'anywhere' but this SIP dam SIP enabled this treatment of them, sadly people will always defend the indefensible if there is something in it for themselves real or most often perceived.

To fix the situation forever only a small piece of self obsessed ground needs to be lost, 99.9% of the SIP is unchanged but thats the definition of ideology it needs the smallest of justification, true or imagined to make ANYTHING fly.

Like I said I dunno monduran, for sure many have been disadvantaged in exactly the same way, but with choosing to grant the possible existence of a tree one cannot begin to see a forest.

How come redclaw are exempt?? Answer is the practice is not threat to SIP or SIPers, so how come this lady and her son where not exempt, obviously must be a threat to SIP..can anyone quantify just how large the treat was and why?.

Been asking lots of questions but getting only dogma or 'wooden' responses, what she should or could have done to justify the SIPers ideological stance doesn't cut it.

cheers fnq

chewy01
31-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Last time i checked this was a thread about eating barra not sips,you also seem to like answering your own questions= loving the sound of ur own voice so why not start a thread on the matter and talk to yourself.
Also on the matter of eating the monduran barra i recall brett said round 80 cm were the best?? so i guess see if you can send out a call for an 80 cm one. Good luck with that iv got em 40 and over a metre but not many round that size. look you can only give it a go, if its no good just give it to the mother in law i guess :)
chewy..

NAGG
31-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Who said RIP SIP, it's a identifiably flawed system and that stands out to anyone without blinkers on for the reasons I have stated above with my reluctant example (possibly I should buy a lotto ticket).

Nope no where else for this person to fish, I know the basics do not fit today's push and shove the silent majority around philosophy but she was not at 'anywhere' but this SIP dam SIP enabled this treatment of them, sadly people will always defend the indefensible if there is something in it for themselves real or most often perceived.

To fix the situation forever only a small piece of self obsessed ground needs to be lost, 99.9% of the SIP is unchanged but thats the definition of ideology it needs the smallest of justification, true or imagined to make ANYTHING fly.

Like I said I dunno monduran, for sure many have been disadvantaged in exactly the same way, but with choosing to grant the possible existence of a tree one cannot begin to see a forest.

How come redclaw are exempt?? Answer is the practice is not threat to SIP or SIPers, so how come this lady and her son where not exempt, obviously must be a threat to SIP..can anyone quantify just how large the treat was and why?.

Been asking lots of questions but getting only dogma or 'wooden' responses, what she should or could have done to justify the SIPers ideological stance doesn't cut it.

cheers fnq

Seems like you have the twisted view of the SIP fnq....... be it Forrest through the trees but also for the greater good ......... isn't it the minority that are disadvantaged....... & the majority that seek to fish advantaged ( fish stocked into more & more accessible locations ....... barra & other species available closer to major population centers)
Sorry ....... I just cant see the problem
I ask you this ....... do you expect to walk into a sporting venue ( ie rugby league) & not expect to pay .....or your local tackle store & walk out with that $20 combo .... without handing over the $
This is not a communist society .... where only the ruling party truly benefits. There is a cost involved ..... be it for stocking otherwise barren waterways to buying that $20 combo:-/ ...... or paying for the Internet that you are currently using.
Elitist no ....... reality yes
We can & will fish under the SIP scheme ......... & so can anyone else that is willing to forgo a few dollars

Chris

BR65
31-10-2008, 10:08 PM
What a load of crap FNQ. And I mean crap.
If you dont like it, dont pay, dont fish a SIP stocked system. Take your worm, you granny knoted handline and your rhetoric and fish some where else, theres un-limited numbers of spots that dont require a SIP for someone who wants to drown a worm.
By the way, I pay my SIP, I fish for barra, bass, toga, yellows, dont infer by doing so that Im bloody elitist. Its called paying your way, doing the right thing, supporting the system that has put into place a resource that you want to interact with, whether it is eating a fish, catch and releaseing a fish, whatever.
Man, Ive read some rubbish on here, but that takes the cake.

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Seems like you have the twisted view of the SIP fnq....... be it Forrest through the trees but also for the greater good ......... isn't it the minority that are disadvantaged....... & the majority that seek to fish advantaged ( fish stocked into more & more accessible locations ....... barra & other species available closer to major population centers)
Sorry ....... I just cant see the problem
I ask you this ....... do you expect to walk into a sporting venue ( ie rugby league) & not expect to pay .....or your local tackle store & walk out with that $20 combo .... without handing over the $
This is not a communist society .... where only the ruling party truly benefits. There is a cost involved ..... be it for stocking otherwise barren waterways to buying that $20 combo:-/ ...... or paying for the Internet that you are currently using.
Elitist no ....... reality yes
We can & will fish under the SIP scheme ......... & so can anyone else that is willing to forgo a few dollars

Chris

MMmm I suppose the majority of barra rec-fisherman haunt on line forums also?? The Majority is the majority even if one believes their portion of the world is bigger/more deserving just because thats where they are active.

Who is going to pay to view the elitists casting barra ....come on that's just a sad comparison.

It's simple, in the eyes of just this mom and son, who and what for would be elitist? given their situation, but give the doctrine a break.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 10:34 PM
What a load of crap FNQ. And I mean crap.
If you dont like it, dont pay, dont fish a SIP stocked system. Take your worm, you granny knoted handline and your rhetoric and fish some where else, theres un-limited numbers of spots that dont require a SIP for someone who wants to drown a worm.
By the way, I pay my SIP, I fish for barra, bass, toga, yellows, dont infer by doing so that Im bloody elitist. Its called paying your way, doing the right thing, supporting the system that has put into place a resource that you want to interact with, whether it is eating a fish, catch and releaseing a fish, whatever.
Man, Ive read some rubbish on here, but that takes the cake.

Yeah but have you got any actual answers to why? or just more wooden emotion self justification, that's already been done to death.

What reason would these 2 have not to consider SIP elitist??????

No answers yet.....

cheers fnq

BR65
31-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah but have you got any actual answers to why? or just more wooden emotion self justification, that's already been done to death.

What reason would these 2 have not to consider SIP elitist??????

No answers yet.....

cheers fnq

Heres the answer you goose.
Tomorrow i will get in my elitist 8 year old ute and tow my elitist 4 meter tinny for four and a half hours to camp in my elitist tent, for the chance to catch a stocked fish from an impoundment that my lousy $35annual fee has helped contibute to.
If by chance i happen to pass your hypothetical single mum and two kids, I will gladly point then in the directon of the nearest public jetty, beach, creek or river, where they can fish till the cows come home, catch sweet FA, cause they only seem interested in culling worms, not actually catching a fish, and best of all according to you, they wont have to pay.
Dont bother quoting this, or looking for further discussion from me on this subject, you are either deliberately baiting people, are on some kind of meds, or just plain
lke to read your own waffle.
Cheers
brian - signing off to this rubbish

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Heres the answer you goose.
Tomorrow i will get in my elitist 8 year old ute and tow my elitist 4 meter tinny for four and a half hours to camp in my elitist tent, for the chance to catch a stocked fish from an impoundment that my lousy $35annual fee has helped contibute to.
If by chance i happen to pass your hypothetical single mum and two kids, I will gladly point then in the directon of the nearest public jetty, beach, creek or river, where they can fish till the cows come home, catch sweet FA, cause they only seem interested in culling worms, not actually catching a fish, and best of all according to you, they wont have to pay.
Dont bother quoting this, or looking for further discussion from me on this subject, you are either deliberately baiting people, are on some kind of meds, or just plain
lke to read your own waffle.
Cheers
brian - signing off to this rubbish

No worries opinions are these days like ??? my earliest memory of fishing (like at the age of 5)was sitting on the rocky shore of an inland lake with just a handline, parents patiently waiting my enthusiasm out knowing full well I was never going to catch anything....fishing very often is not about the fish, SIP is nothing BUT about the fish.

cheers fnq

Steve B
31-10-2008, 11:11 PM
fnq,

I now see you ONE example. She copped a harsh time from the rangers by the sounds of it. I have met some that think they are cops too, understood. Most are pretty good from what I have seen.

hypothetical scenario: (my biggest word yet;)) What if..I mean IF the kid caught a barra...even by accident.

Q1: What would/should you have done??.....

Q3:.what should the ranger have done???. I have seen it happen off the bank....a kid won the MASA comp 3 yrs back casting off the bank....what would happen then.

You have one example of what you believe should be a loop hole in the SIP system....who decides what constitutes a family 'worm dangling' session vs a Barra Pro casting elitist tournament, and doesnt have to pay a SIP. I have been out heaps of times without catching a fish....can I have my money back please.:-[

Our local comp has people from all walks of life, all having family fun, mates fun, serious fishing, social fishing............NONE ever complain about permits. Nor did the thousands of people I sold them to whilst working in a tackle shop when it was first introduced....that usually when things get complained about the most.

Q3: who in that broad mix should have to pay an SIP???

A simple 20 word or less reply would be sufficient.

Heres a reply I prepared for you just incase your thesaurus has run out of big words to make you sound impressive.

Q1- chucked it back-made and kid cry! he never fishes again. or you could have bought the family a permit to GO FISHING. anything other than that would make you an accomplass to a crime;)

Q2- probably not much different except with a nicer attitude. he has a job to do.

Q3- EVERYONE WHO FISHES THE LAKE.!

See it isnt rocket science. So go and annoy someone in the saltwater section....or have you pissed all them off too.

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 11:26 PM
fnq,

I now see you ONE example. She copped a harsh time from the rangers by the sounds of it. I have met some that think they are cops too, understood. Most are pretty good from what I have seen.

hypothetical scenario: (my biggest word yet;)) What if..I mean IF the kid caught a barra...even by accident.

Q1: What would/should you have done??.....

Q3:.what should the ranger have done???. I have seen it happen off the bank....a kid won the MASA comp 3 yrs back casting off the bank....what would happen then.

You have one example of what you believe should be a loop hole in the SIP system....who decides what constitutes a family 'worm dangling' session vs a Barra Pro casting elitist tournament, and doesnt have to pay a SIP. I have been out heaps of times without catching a fish....can I have my money back please.:-[

Our local comp has people from all walks of life, all having family fun, mates fun, serious fishing, social fishing............NONE ever complain about permits. Nor did the thousands of people I sold them to whilst working in a tackle shop when it was first introduced....that usually when things get complained about the most.

Q3: who in that broad mix should have to pay an SIP???

A simple 20 word or less reply would be sufficient.

Heres a reply I prepared for you just incase your thesaurus has run out of big words to make you sound impressive.

Q1- chucked it back-made and kid cry! he never fishes again. or you could have bought the family a permit to GO FISHING. anything other than that would make you an accomplass to a crime;)

Q2- probably not much different except with a nicer attitude. he has a job to do.

Q3- EVERYONE WHO FISHES THE LAKE.!

See it isnt rocket science. So go and annoy someone in the saltwater section....or have you pissed all them off too.

No the rangers had no knowledge of the rod, we didn't know considering the regulated mindset of what we were dealing with whether she could have been done over for having one in the hatch of the car adjacent to a SIP type water way.

First I need a with basic human dignity still intact answer to any of my Qs???:o I have been waiting a while already but have not even got a trail of crumbs ...can you help?

cheers fnq

Steve B
31-10-2008, 11:42 PM
No the rangers had no knowledge of the rod, we didn't know considering the regulated mindset of what we were dealing with whether she could have been done over for having one in the hatch of the car adjacent to a SIP type water way.

First I need a with basic human dignity still intact answer to any of my Qs???:o I have been waiting a while already but have not even got a trail of crumbs ...can you help?

cheers fnq

Seriously if thats the case (rod in the car), if they were not fishing....no permit required. IS this the case?? If so, you justified in being peeved, and could have simply said that to start with to save this rot.

cheers steve

FNQCairns
31-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Seriously if thats the case (rod in the car), if they were not fishing....no permit required. IS this the case?? If so, you justified in being peeved, and could have simply said that to start with to save this rot.

cheers steve

I dunno apparatus is apparatus or used to be, and intent implied is good enough to convict under regulation today, takes no prisoners, playing it safe was the only option....I dunno but they (the rangers) were not the ones to ask that's for sure.

cheers fnq

Steve B
31-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I dunno apparatus is apparatus or used to be, and intent implied is good enough to convict under regulation today, takes no prisoners, playing it safe was the only option....I dunno but they (the rangers) were not the ones to ask that's for sure.

cheers fnq

No fishing no permit required. She could have had 100 rods in the car.....if she wasnt fishing she didnt have to pay. THATS THE LAW.

WOW. HOW EASY IS THAT. OVER AND OUT.

Tim_N
01-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Fair dinkum fnq, move on, you're being shot to bits.
By the way, if anyone wants to eat a freshie, do so, if not, don't.
Tim

oldboot
01-11-2008, 11:26 AM
So its the SIP that makes fresh water barra taste muddy?:P

Here is a reality check.

any of the water storages..... thats what they are..... would cost more in fuel to get to than the SIP fee.

The storage is artificial and the fish stocked there are artificial...... nothing lost lots gained.

Many of the water storages do bot permit fishing at all is that elitist.
There is a water storage less than 1Km from where I am typing..... there are lots of fish and redclaw in it..... no one can legaly fish there.

All this elitism in my view is a load of rubbish...... do we want to go back to a situatuin where there is no stocking programes at all and there are no size & bag limits......that wasn;t even sustainable in the 60's and 70's when it was the case.

Fishing regulation is a necessary fact of life in these times...... if you havnt got used to the idea........ you had better crawl under a rock ( after doing an impact studdy on the area surrounding the rock);D .... because regulations and green zones will not be going away.

Besides.... I have seen no scientific studdies on fishing regulation effecting the taste of fresh water fish.:P

However if the muddy taste bothers you....... perhaps you could take up smoking....after a week or two you wont be able to taste the difference.;D

cheers

aussiebasser
05-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I know this has been done before, but I'm hoping for some new developments, as we'll be up there again in a few weeks.

I'd really appreciate some tips around what makes for edible fish, and by edible, I mean at least as good as a snag on the barbie. Ok, maybe not quite that good.

Some focusing questions for me are;

is there a max size beyond which there is no hope for a reasonable feed?
does chilling the fish make a difference when managing the fat/oil? I know with bass and yellas that preparation is much easier with chilled fish, but the one big Lake M fish I killed was still full of fat/oil throughout the tissue
are there any magic recipes that make the unpalatable a better option than a snag on bread?A bloke at work is from PNG. He has seen a photo of a reasonable Lake M fish at my desk. He says that like crocs that live in freshwater, ginger is the go. Maybe he has never eaten a snag, but I doubt it. I don't think he has eaten a Lake M barra, which in my experience taste just like the water. But, I'd like to find a way.

Rick K

Rick K

Hmmm, seems to have gotten a bit off track. I'm one of the few who've eaten and enjoyed impoundment Barra. It's quite legal to keep a fish for the table. When you catch one, as long as it is over the legal limit, you can enjoy eating it. First, bleed it, immediately! Not after you've taken 25 photo's of it and let it die, immediately. Don't then take a photo of it with it's throat cut and post it up here, you know what'll happen. Once it has bled out, gut and gill it, immediately. Cool the fish then, in an esky, or by putting ice bottles in the gut cavity, just get it cold. When it is cold, fillet and skin it and remove all the fat from the gut cavity and around the fin areas, it'll look grey compared to the whiter flesh. Trim out all the blood, and cut fillets into cookable thickness. Lightly fry with butter, and enjoy.

They are much better to catch and photograph than they are to eat, and yes, I'd probably enjoy a good feed of Gin Gin snags more.