PDA

View Full Version : Casting comfort?

Tropicaltrout
23-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi all.
A subject brushed over is comfort. us fellas who are out there standing up it is a must have. Slip Slop Slap, and sunnies we all know and use but the things we stand on all day what do they get?

I am a shocker for staying out and casting the sticks all day and into the night weather permitting. Comfort is a must I love my massage pluggers but they just dont cut the grade with the all day stand up, I was wondering what you fellas use or rec before I buy some shimanos or crocs;)

Nath

NAGG
23-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Nath - Go the crocs ..... comfortable , breathable & offer some shock absorbency

Chris

Barraboss
23-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Nath,

I am a barefoot fisherman, and have paid the penalty on a catfish spine through the centre of my foot for it. Also had a metre plus barra spine go through my foot near my little toe. Ouch!! But I got the fish so all is good

I find it difficult to use electric with shoes/thongs on. I feel I have better stability with no shoes as I have direct hold on the deck (size 13 shoe afterall) :)

The floor on the boat I "try" to keep clear to keep Owners away from the tootsies

Cheer
Matt

Dory4.1
23-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Mate buy a good chair, take a load of.

NAGG
23-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Nath,

I am a barefoot fisherman, and have paid the penalty on a catfish spine through the centre of my foot for it. Also had a metre plus barra spine go through my foot near my little toe. Ouch!! But I got the fish so all is good

I find it difficult to use electric with shoes/thongs on. I feel I have better stability with no shoes as I have direct hold on the deck (size 13 shoe afterall) :)

The floor on the boat I "try" to keep clear to keep Owners away from the tootsies

Cheer
Matt

Friggin Yetti ;D

vet
23-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm with Matt, barefoot all day and night, sometimes a problem stepping on discarded lures that didn't make it back to the tackle box. cheers scott

BR65
23-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Thongs for me Nath, Crocs make it to hard to drive the kota around, though I seem to manage in the colder mornings with my uggies on, funny bout that? Im with Matt on keeping the deck clear to, last thing I want is a #1 ST66 in the ball of my foot.

DEANO68
23-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Nath,

Cheer
Matt

better stability?????? how could you ever stumble with hoofs like that, no probs with the owners , reckon they would run the other way....;) yea im a barefooter..deck gets hot ,,on go the water dipped pluggers.

Tropicaltrout
23-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Nath,

Cheer
Matt

Cheers Matt the bare feet sounds a touch risky:) I used to be a tuna fisho for a few years and seen some nasty bare feet accidents some shoes would have made the difference and others no shoe in the world would stop but yeah its the ache I get after 4 or 5 hours of casting, I had a pair of cheap crocs once and never got it, so I might invest in another pair....8-)

tunaticer
23-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I wear thick woolen explorer socks with dive boots whenever im in the boat and find that comfortable all yr round. I always wear long clothes all yr round too cuz the sun beating down on bare skin aint no cooler than wearing longs.

A good hat is something that is never quite that good for me, they either fly off when underway, get heavy with sweat or uncomfortable as the day progresses. Gonna have to do some real searching for the ultimate hat soon.

Jack.

DEANO68
23-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Cheers Matt the bare feet sounds a touch risky:) I used to be a tuna fisho for a few years and seen some nasty bare feet accidents some shoes would have made the difference and others no shoe in the world would stop but yeah its the ache I get after 4 or 5 hours of casting, I had a pair of cheap crocs once and never got it, so I might invest in another pair....8-)

i find just to sit a while changing lures or thinkin next plan , quick bite or drink, does enough to get the legs charged again,even with my frame.;)

NAGG
23-10-2008, 08:33 PM
I've gotta say ...... a lean post makes a hell of a difference - specially when running a leccy

Chris

rc@hinze
23-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Bought some of those shimano EVA sandals like the crocs, and I cant believe how comfortable they are. Normally I have to wear orthodics in my shoes and these are extremly comfortable and slip on and off easily. Its easy using the electric with bare feet but you can get used to using it with with footwear if you persist for long enough. - RC

eotbmg
23-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Barefoot for me, never wear shoe after work, always bare foot, sometimes end up at restaurants or out somewhere and have no shoes on... Definately find it hard to drive bow mount with thongs on, love the toe control. Just need to remember the thongs when i go bush bashing for a number #2!!!!!
Cheers
Ben

Dick Pasfield
23-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep, like plenty here I'm barefoot, feel the boofs through the hull better. If it's cold a set of volleys is the go

phatty
23-10-2008, 11:19 PM
cant stand having anything on my feet when on the boat.
if its cold ill throw on a pair of woolly socks.
apart from that im bare.

Whitto
24-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Go the wannabe Crocs Nath....As u know I wear them all the time.....nice and cool and light and inexpensive......handy to have on around the camp........Im thinking PINK;D to go with your complection.....I suppose Black to go with the Hat would be a better option::).......Whitto

Steve B
24-10-2008, 09:46 AM
cant stand having anything on my feet when on the boat.
if its cold ill throw on a pair of woolly socks.
apart from that im bare.
Geez phatty

LOL "apart from that I am bare" A naked man in socks casting a point......good way to avoid people fishing near ya mate!!!;);D

cheers steve

black_sheep
24-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Geez phatty

LOL "apart from that I am bare" A naked man in socks casting a point......good way to avoid people fishing near ya mate!!!;);D

cheers steve

That's Funny - I thought only the Red Hot Chilli Peppers wore socks on their ..............::) .

[quote=EOTBMGBarefoot for me, never wear shoe after work, always bare foot, sometimes end up at restaurants or out somewhere and have no shoes on... Definately find it hard to drive bow mount with thongs on, love the toe control. Just need to remember the thongs when i go bush bashing for a number #2!!!!!
Cheers
Ben

Ben's other nickname is 'Monkey toes'. I have never seen ben pick up anything off the ground with his hands. I reckon he could do a bimini twist with his toes;D .

As for footware - bloody barefoot Neanderthals8-) , I evolved with the rest of mankind and wear shoes! Remember I fish with Vin so protection of any exposed parts is a priority:o .

Steve B
24-10-2008, 02:16 PM
[quote=black_sheep;917599]That's Funny - I thought only the Red Hot Chilli Peppers wore socks on their ..............::) .

Nav, you'd be in for a basket ball tube sock hey:-X:-X once you go black........:-X:-X:-X;)

where is this going........naughty. get back to the subject

I aproached my major footwear sponsor Nikeaddas to make some special shoes for tournament fishing.......they couldnt do it......apparently they used the last of their material making a pair of size 14s for someone up north...:P;D

So I will stick to barefoot as usual...get the best feel on the pedal.....I always try to keep a neat boat....free of clutter and trebbles. I have had a trebble between the little toe and next fishing while hooked up at Sth Aligator river in NT....one bourbon one scotch and one hundred beers and the boys pushed it out at camp later that night....infected 2 days later. Lesson learned there...., pour the scotch on the wound and have 200 beers instead is better as it still hurt.;D

Steve

TinarooTriumph
24-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think I've ever wore a sock or shoe on either foot when I have fished. Croc's are pretty good off the water though.

As for comfort... I like to wear Skins when fishing in the daytime. Saves alot of sunscreen, keeps you cool so you don't get fatigued and it doesn't intefere with the Rod when twitching... find some of my Loomis or Shimano shirts have a habit of getting wrapped around the Butt of my Rods etc. Like to wear light long pants (again, saves sunscreen) and either and Arafat or a Bucket-hat. Thats all I need to go fishing (and a tube of Zinc Cream).

T

reidy
24-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Im usally bare foot over summer (neos on over the cooler months).How many times have i heard DON'T GO BARE FOOT IN A BOAT.The funny thing is most (at least a fair number) of us do it every time we fish.The only drama ive had was kicking a large flattie in the gill area and we all know what that lovely little spike can do (straight into the end of the big toe).Never drove a hook or anything similar into my feet in 20+ years.
But i guess they are some who have so the warnings.
Cheers
Reidy

black_sheep
24-10-2008, 03:56 PM
[quote=Steve B;917656][quote=black_sheep;917599]That's Funny - I thought only the Red Hot Chilli Peppers wore socks on their ..............::) .

Nav, you'd be in for a basket ball tube sock hey:-X:-X once you go black........:-X:-X:-X;)

where is this going........naughty. get back to the subject

Steve, as you said, not going there but you getting me confused with Vin:o . Only thing is Vin wears his on his forehead ;D.

A mate who was fishing by himself in Moreton Bay caught an 8kg snapper. As he gaffed it, the other rod went off and as he tried to grab it, dropped the 8kg snapper. Problem is he dropped it back first on his foot and the main dorsal spine went through his big toe and out the other side. He cut it off with pliers, drove to bribie (by boat), tied off to the jetty and went to the hospital. He know wears steel caps even if we go whiting fishing:) .

nipsta
24-10-2008, 05:39 PM
im the same as most barefoot until i put the bare foot on uncovered alloy in the midle of the day then the crocs go straight back on and i cant say i every had a clutter free boat yet the only way that would work for me is if i left everything at home and only take the boat i make sure there is a bit not taken never know when you will need them and of course the lucky stick hey nath lol

NAGG
24-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Barefoot fishing ...... must be some quirky Queensland thing::)

Chris

Tropicaltrout
24-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Chris

They have numbed to the pain by drinking to muck xxxx mate;D ;D ;D

BR65
24-10-2008, 06:55 PM

Chris

We cant were shoes mate, the callouses on our feet are to big from kickin NSW butt in the last 3 state of origin series. ;)

NAGG
24-10-2008, 07:02 PM
We cant were shoes mate, the callouses on our feet are to big from kickin NSW butt in the last 3 state of origin series. ;)

Sure you dont mean on the hands;) ;D

BR65
24-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Sure you dont mean on the hands;) ;D

Nah, had a look under the table, its definately the feet;D

BR65
24-10-2008, 07:07 PM
OK, moveing away from the ridiculously easy, yet strangely satisfying, bagging of the cockies, where can I get a lean seat in Briz Vegas for the quinny, any one know what they cost??

nipsta
24-10-2008, 07:08 PM
yes wiping the floor again just to easy
i also like the little seats up the front since i had one of them i can cast for ages and my back feels ok havent hooked a fish while doing that yet but im sure novemeber will provide ::)

NAGG
24-10-2008, 07:26 PM
OK, moveing away from the ridiculously easy, yet strangely satisfying, bagging of the cockies, where can I get a lean seat in Briz Vegas for the quinny, any one know what they cost??

Bias boating have them ( there is one at virginia , slacks creek & tingalpa)

Springfield one costs $50 seat , Seat mount $19 , Adjustable Post $65 & deck base $38 ....... Then it will cost you about $20 for bolts etc

if you are going onto a ply floor ..... Reinforce it with a aluminium plate underneith

Cheers

Chris

PS ...... I'll ignore the cocky line::)

BR65
24-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah, after a big day on the water standing up the bow, the feet get bit weary, and make the next days fishing, standing up the bow again, a bit interestin at times.
Ive been thikning about the lean seat for a while now, but dont know if it will affect my casting if im in that half resting position.

BR65
24-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Bias boating have them ( there is one at virginia , slacks creek & tingalpa)

Springfield one costs $50 seat , Seat mount $19 , Adjustable Post $65 & deck base $38 ....... Then it will cost you about $20 for bolts etc

if you are going onto a ply floor ..... Reinforce it with a aluminium plate underneith

Cheers

Chris

PS ...... I'll ignore the cocky line::)

Another couple of months mate and you will be up here, then after 20 years you will almost be a cane toad;)

Im looking for one that will slot straight into the post hole Ive got now in the hornet , on the bow. Best I don my going out pluggers and toddle off to bias tomorow after work for a squiz I spose.

NAGG
24-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah, after a big day on the water standing up the bow, the feet get bit weary, and make the next days fishing, standing up the bow again, a bit interestin at times.
Ive been thikning about the lean seat for a while now, but dont know if it will affect my casting if im in that half resting position.

They have a slight lean built into them ..... & as long as you get the adjustable post ........ its quite good

I have to say ..... I generally use it only when motoring around on the leccy - You are not in a really good position for casting & striking .......... Lyndon would have kittens;)

Chris

Whitto
24-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Check out Northside Marine on your way through Brian.........God I hope the Cockies turn up next year to play.....Ahhhh I remember the days when they were almost competition....Ahhhh Well here's hopeing;D

Whitto
24-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I reckon they would be great after a big night on the Piss::)

NAGG
24-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Another couple of months mate and you will be up here, then after 20 years you will almost be a cane toad;)

Im looking for one that will slot straight into the post hole Ive got now in the hornet , on the bow. Best I don my going out pluggers and toddle off to bias tomorow after work for a squiz I spose.

Never a Cane toad ........ just a relocated cockie

You can just by an adjustable pedestal & the seat ....... That would set you back $120-180 according to the cattledog

i'm glad that you own some footware ;D

Chris

NAGG
24-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Check out Northside Marine on your way through Brian.........God I hope the Cockies turn up next year to play.....Ahhhh I remember the days when they were almost competition....Ahhhh Well here's hopeing;D

Didn't you hear ...... blocker , sirro , jack , clyde , daley , benny & co are coming out of retirement . - - - couldn't do any worst::)

Chris

PS ..... Whitto - did the twisties turn up?

Whitto
24-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Nothing today Chris:(.........Lets see what Monday brings:D

NAGG
24-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Whitto .... They were sent on Wednesday .. So yeh Monday probably - Cobb & Co dependant:(

Chris

Whitto
24-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Whats the term.......Snail Mail....Monday for sure:P

Tropicaltrout
24-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Maybe Monday..... everything slows down once they hit the border Chris, except on thing, KANGAROOS!!!!

Nath

NAGG
24-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Maybe Monday..... everything slows down once they hit the border Chris, except on thing, KANGAROOS!!!!

Nath

Nath - I saw 2 Qld roos quickly accelerate to around 110km/h last month ...... with a little help from the Prado & trailer;D

nipsta
24-10-2008, 09:36 PM

yeah mine all came from bcf and it fitted my mounts fine as i didnt have floor mounts i have a plate that sits on the bench seat with a hole in it and the lean seat fits it perfectly

Cammy
24-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Im also barefoot, unless im fishing off a jetty in winter.

Cam

skeeter
25-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Removed from thread

skeeter
25-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Not me, I have been using crocs for about 2 years and couldn't go back. They are cool, comfortable, self draining, have excellent grip in the boat, provide reasonable sun protection, offer some protection against pointy things and are ok in the mud when you are chasing liveys.

I will be getting another pair when these wear out.

The cheaper, rip off versions look just as good. I am sure there is another thread in that conversation.;)

BR65
25-10-2008, 08:48 AM
i'm glad that you own some footware ;D

Chris

Never know when you might get a wedding invite mate, thats when the good double pluggers come out of the cupboad! ;)
Just got to find them under the banjo, illicit moonshine sill, possum skin hat and all the other clutter Ive got in there. :-/
Hang on, one of my 27 cousins just told me he saw them in the XD wagon Im wrecking for parts out the front yard, phew, thats lucky, now Ive got something to wear to work on monday for that concrete pour.;D

NAGG
25-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Never know when you might get a wedding invite mate, thats when the good double pluggers come out of the cupboad! ;)
Just got to find them under the banjo, illicit moonshine sill, possum skin hat and all the other clutter Ive got in there. :-/
Hang on, one of my 27 cousins just told me he saw them in the XD wagon Im wrecking for parts out the front yard, phew, thats lucky, now Ive got something to wear to work on monday for that concrete pour.;D

;D ;D ;D Well kiss my grits ya'll