PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat or painted Gal rims

Roughasguts
23-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Guy's just looking at me boat trailer tyres there old and 13 inch crap tyres on gal painted white rims. ( they look good but old and not round the tyres not the rims) A fact of silverstone tyres. (there crap! within 12 months)

But me Caravan has powder coated rims with light truck tyres much newer (less than a year) and rounder than the crappy Silverstone boat trailer tyres, which the brand I have always hated with a passion)

So thinking of swapping over the powder coat to the boat with the light truck tyres and buying mags for the van, and more truck tyres as they need 50 psi just to hold the van up.

So my question is does powder coated rims last as long as gal rims in the salt water or am I stuck with crappy 13 inch tryes! that are expensive and pretty much crap tyre brands.

Any factual info would be great thanks. Rag.

finga
23-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Short answer NO
Just have a gander at all the Sunraiser type wheels on the 4WD,s in any beachside place.
The first place to get attacked is the join between the wheel face and the roolled rim bit.

Spaniard_King
23-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Had the powder coated rims on last trailer.. basically the coating will start falling off in a few months of salt water use I.E dunking.. what happens is you flex the rim and a bit will crack.. its all history from then on.

Mad-One
23-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Yep my new trailer had powdercoated galv rims and started flaking the second time i washed the trailer. Should have just got Galv rims

Mad

peterbo3
23-10-2008, 08:21 PM
There are some reasonable priced all alloy rims around. My Sealink trailer has them fitted to 14" light truck tyres. May be an option. I had them on a previous Sealink tlr & no problems after 4 years.

bustaonenut
23-10-2008, 10:57 PM
depends if the powder coated rims are alloy or not. My old man has had a tinka trailer for the last 8 years and the paint started peeling off a few years back but no rust because they are alloy. Just looks shite and i cant see the point of painting alloy rims.

tunaticer
24-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Ive got a 2nd hand set of alloy car wheels on my trailer for 15 yrs now and they are still good. Cost me about $20 each from the wrecker and zero corrosion so far.

Jack.

reidy
24-10-2008, 01:06 PM
A well galved set wins every time.Fingas spot on have a squiz at your average set of sunnraisers and if they have been near the salt they will have rust between the rim and the rim face (the join).You should be able to have rims dip galved up your way for sure meaning find a good set of sunnies have them sand blasted and galv dipped.
Cheers
Reidy

Noelm
24-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I have had the perfect test on this exact thing, I recently built a new trailer for my tinny, had three wheels two gal and one powder coated, that was previously the spare, one tyre on the gal rim was a bit dicky so I put 1 gal and 1 powder coated on and kept the bad gal one as a spare until I got around to getting another tyre, now me being slack, I fooled about and put it off for 6 months or more, now the powder coated rim looks like it's ready for the tip, but the gal one is fine, just a bit dull, does that answer your question? for the disbeleivers, I could take a photo.

Roughasguts
25-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Cool thank's guy's.

Yep on close inspection of the van rims, and yup! there turning colour at that there join.
So they ain't going on the boat trailer! Thanks Heaps you saved a set of rims from going to the dump.