PDA

View Full Version : red claw

bustaonenut
22-10-2008, 10:22 AM
just after some info on catching red claw crayfish. I live in the western suburbs of brisbane but dont mind travelling a couple of hours.

thanks for any info

gav39
22-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Somerset Dam has plenty, they mainly move at night so would have to stay a couple of night plus it might take 1 or 2 night to find them as they always move around. We were they late september and the most i got i 1 pot was 18 but only kept 6 as we were getting a lot so we were puting the small to medium ones back so we can catch them again when they get to a good size. We go up there 3 or 4 times a year and always get a feed or 2. We find the best bait is corn and spuds. anywhere from 6 to 20 foot of water.

Cheers Gav.

Ps. put your pots close to structure like tree stumps or rocky edges or grassy weed.

Cammy
22-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey mate, a couple of years ago my mate and i used to fishing fairly regulaly at NPD just bait fishing off the bank, we'd chuck out a pot or 2 just to see what was around, the bait we used was either watermelon and veggies left over from dinner or a piece of basa from the shops. We pretty much just chucked the pots where ever and caught some, but it would be more productive finding stucture and placing pots there.

Im not to sure how many reds are left in NPD havent herd of any caught from there in a while.
Cam

Gordie
22-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a tip for anyone using pots.

I made up some new pots recently for catching shrimp. Gal mesh. fencing staples, copper wire etc.

Put them out on the creek with some older pots. The "only"pots that worked were the older ones.

So I would say that home made or bought pots, they all need a good soak in a running stream for a few days to get the strange smells out of them.

This may help for Red Claw also, for I had 2 pots on Somerset last week for 48 hours and not a touch.

Regards Gordon

rosco1974
24-10-2008, 07:53 PM
use to go to npd for them....used dog food for bait in the pots use to get 30 or so in a couple of hours...havent been up there this year yet.......cheers rosco