PDA

View Full Version : kevlacat

nautical prince
21-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I have a problem with my Kc i have recently re powerd the boat with twin 90 hp etecs and i couldn't get counter rotating props as this model motor does not come in counter rotation.
The problem is the boat pulls hard and make the boat lean left i then have suck the left motor in a long way to stablize the boat meaning more fuel and oil on the left motor and gets worn out quicker. Any help would be great i rang Springwood marine and they said trimm tabs are not an option HELP :-/

Dean1
21-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I have a problem with my Kc i have recently re powerd the boat with twin 90 hp etecs and i couldn't get counter rotating props as this model motor does not come in counter rotation.
The problem is the boat pulls hard and make the boat lean left i then have suck the left motor in a long way to stablize the boat meaning more fuel and oil on the left motor and gets worn out quicker. Any help would be great i rang Springwood marine and they said trimm tabs are not an option HELP :-/ Gee sounds strange :-/ Has it done this immediatly after the repower?? Are the motors aligned as in not to much toe in/out?

nautical prince
21-10-2008, 06:43 PM
yes it has but seems to have gotin worse i might give the boys a aus marine centre a ring where i go em fitted

finding_time
21-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I would think it's something else, i get a slight torquing from no counter rotating props in the f 60's and even flat out it's hardly noticable and that's probably your cruise speed, i would be looking at other things rather than the increased HP! Send Kittycat a pm, he's just fitted susuki 90's to his 5.2

Ratman
21-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I've got 115 Johnos, non counter rotating, on my 560 Sharkcat and have no problems. Keep us posted.

kitty_cat
21-10-2008, 07:36 PM
definatly a strange one i dont think its a hp issue as the 90 hp suzukis havent changed the attitude off my 1900 kc at all (just goes heaps faster)

the boat actully likes the lighter weight motors.

wayne

ps no counter rotation on the suzukis (i dont think this is the issue)

Heath01
21-10-2008, 07:58 PM
that sounds strange mate, i have the exact same rig, when i repowered my 5.2kc with 90 etecs i put hyrdrolic steering on, i use to have 60's that were cable steer and they use to pull aswell, have you got hydrolic steering?maybe have a look at the fin above the prop that is attached to that rotatable disc?

getin'catty
21-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm with ratman I've got twin 85 yammys on my 5m sharkcat not counter rotation. Never been an issue.

Take it back to where they were fitted would be my thoughts, keep us posted would like to hear what the cause turns out to be.

getin'catty
21-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm with ratman I've got twin 85 yammys on my 5m sharkcat not counter rotation. Never been an issue.

Take it back to where they were fitted would be my thoughts, keep us posted would like to hear what the cause turns out to be.

death_ship
21-10-2008, 08:13 PM
hey lance i think one motor may be full of seppo bullshite, when we goin fishin?
Brett

Noelm
22-10-2008, 07:18 AM
don't think I can ever remember a Cat that needed trim tabs, let alone seeing them fitted to one, I think you have a Dealer/setup issue here, there must be thousands of Cats of all makes with 90's and above non C/R without drama!

Noelm
22-10-2008, 07:21 AM
hang on lets get this very clear first up, the Boat leans left correct? it "pulls" hard? so in effect you are steering to the right to counter act this causing the Boat to lean left? or does it just lean left without steering input? we need to fully understand the problem before any "best guess" can be determined!

Maccas
22-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I had a problem a bit the same with my Sharkat 500 which had pods. I found that one pod had quite a bit of water in it. Check your pods or hull for water as it doesn't need much to change balance of boat. Another time one prop had damaged bush so wasn't driving at 100% all the time. I replaced prop and boat was back to normal.

Just a couple of ideas from personal experience, hope that it helps .BTW the boat had hydraulic steering.

Cheers,

Maccas

sleepygreg
22-10-2008, 10:15 PM
My brothers KC 2400 has 115 Suzis...non counter rotating....no probs at all.

Greg

nautical prince
23-10-2008, 03:42 PM
looked at the motors yesterday and couldnt see any thing out of the ordinary but one prop was a little loose from the nut coming a little loose

nautical prince
23-10-2008, 03:44 PM
hey lance i think one motor may be full of seppo bullshite, when we goin fishin?
Brett
hey mate keen on headin out to the hards on brendens new 640 bar crusher try and blood it with a few big ones

nautical prince
23-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I had a problem a bit the same with my Sharkat 500 which had pods. I found that one pod had quite a bit of water in it. Check your pods or hull for water as it doesn't need much to change balance of boat. Another time one prop had damaged bush so wasn't driving at 100% all the time. I replaced prop and boat was back to normal.

Just a couple of ideas from personal experience, hope that it helps .BTW the boat had hydraulic steering.

Cheers,

Maccas
thanks mate i had a good look at all the thing you said in you post but everything seemed normal thanks for the tips any way mate

nautical prince
23-10-2008, 03:49 PM
hang on lets get this very clear first up, the Boat leans left correct? it "pulls" hard? so in effect you are steering to the right to counter act this causing the Boat to lean left? or does it just lean left without steering input? we need to fully understand the problem before any "best guess" can be determined!
the boat leans over to the left side the steering is hydrolic but it does not steer left i had a good look around the pods and i cant figure it out HELP.

nautical prince
23-10-2008, 03:50 PM
don't think I can ever remember a Cat that needed trim tabs, let alone seeing them fitted to one, I think you have a Dealer/setup issue here, there must be thousands of Cats of all makes with 90's and above non C/R without drama!
hmmm i think my dealer needs a call Stewie Aus marine !!!!

barra_cuda81
23-10-2008, 03:53 PM
You and Brenden still keen on coming up to 1770 early November. I'm chomping at the bit!!!!!

O SEA D
23-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Mate try adjusting the small skeg behind the prop below the cav plate. I'm not familiar with the Etecs but I would imagine they are the same as most outboards in having this small skeg. I think if you loosen it and turn it slightly to starboard it might help. wont hurt to try anyway just make sure you retighten it before testing it.

nautical prince
24-10-2008, 02:27 PM
You and Brenden still keen on coming up to 1770 early November. I'm chomping at the bit!!!!!
yep all booked in at the camp grounds at 1770 from thurs 13/11 to 17/11 got a marquie ready to go

OPTI
24-10-2008, 06:27 PM
firstly id check you engine alignment,at mid ships id have them both toeing in about 5mm.if thats ok its the props ,to much rake id guess .try some 4 bladers .

Mister
25-10-2008, 05:38 PM
The problem is the boat pulls hard and make the boat lean left i then have suck the left motor in a long way to stablize the boat meaning more fuel and oil on the left motor and gets worn out quicker. Any help would be great i rang Springwood marine and they said trimm tabs are not an option HELP :-/

Who fitted the engines? How about asking them what the problem is and tell em to fix it. Trim tabs sound like a poor excuse for an unrelated problem

Nothing to do with counter rotation either and if anybody tries to tell you it's the props then go elsewhere for a better opinion.

90's on a little KC is a lot of power and does this leaning occur at any revs or flat out and but then the left motor always works harder, nothing new there

termi
27-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Try checking if the motors have been fitted square on the pods. I know of a seafarer down my way that used to lean alot for no reason and it was discovered that the motor was fitted off centre and not verticle. I know it's a different boat but worth checking out.
By the way my 5.2kc has 70 johnsons non counter rotating no problems.
I'd be getting a second opinion on the problem, try ringing kevlacat.