PDA

View Full Version : Outboard security?

Matt76
21-10-2008, 08:22 AM
How do you guys with smaller engines secure them to stop the mogrels theives? Other thsn locking the whole kit in the garage of course. I already had my Bloody GPS nicked out of my ute last weekend :-[

Oh and while i am on the topic, who are the main insurance companies for small boats? Any good recommendations?

Thanks

finga
21-10-2008, 08:34 AM
The best thing if they're little is to take the little buggers off and bung it in the laundry.
What size are you talking about?

Matt76
21-10-2008, 09:47 AM
25hp mate, Id love to say that I will take it off every time I come home but I know that laziness will win out and I wont.

Dirtysanchez
21-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Loop some chain around the handle if it has one, and chain it to the boat, or fence, trailer - whatever really so it deters the turds.

I take my little 6 off, put him on his trolley and wheel him into the shed. Shed is locked and hungry staffy will guard the shed for me while she snoozes in the sun :D

Dory4.1
21-10-2008, 10:44 AM
My outboard is bolted onto the boat with long bolts and nyloc nut. I also chain the boat and outboard to the fence. Apparently stopped someone trying to take the outboard, I noticed recently that the two clamps had been undone. They must have then realised that they also needed a spanner and bolt cutters.

Good guys 1 bad guys 0.

Rgs
Michael

reidy
21-10-2008, 01:33 PM
you can buy security locks designed to fit over the motor clamps on tiller motors.Have one on my 30 Yam tiller.By memory (at work at the moment) their made by OMC.
If your aux. is a tiller there worth a look.
Cheers
Reidy

Matt76
21-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Loop some chain around the handle if it has one, and chain it to the boat, or fence, trailer - whatever really so it deters the turds.

I take my little 6 off, put him on his trolley and wheel him into the shed. Shed is locked and hungry staffy will guard the shed for me while she snoozes in the sun :D

I have a Staffy too, trouble is she would happily play ball all day long with any would be intruder ::)

mylestom
21-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Utilise a stainless steel cover which locks over the outboard clamp handles.

Bought from chandlery, various types and around the $30.00.

When travelling back this up with heavy duty bicycle cable lock under $10.00

Never lost an outboard but the bustards took the transom electric and battery.

Now only have the electric bow mount and that locked on with good quality lock same key as outboard lock.

Trouble is there is always someone out there who thinks he shouldn't have to pay for what he wants and just helps himself.

Regards
Trev

Dirtysanchez
21-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a Staffy too, trouble is she would happily play ball all day long with any would be intruder ::)

;D LoL, I hear you mate.. Same with mine.. the intruder would have to look very much like a fluffy white doll dog before she got her back up, but she looks the part ;)

3rd degree
21-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Bastards nicked my 50 Yammy bout this time last year......just unbolted it and goooone!

I've had the new bolts tacked in place so no punks gunna pinch this one.

Cheers

Jim

Blaster Bretty
21-10-2008, 07:06 PM
3rd degree! yeah thats the real desperate thief alright, prepared to actually spend some quiet time to work on the motor and unbolt the whole thing. to me that say's that the bloke who took it would have to of "watched this space" and when the time was right he has come in and done his dirty work (the prick!!!)
At the end of the day if the thief is desperate enough they will stop at nothing to get what they are after, even if it means taking the whole dam boat + trailer etc.
Best bet is to insure the whole kit n kaboodle so you wont lose out.
just my thoughts though!!!

Bretty

tunaticer
21-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Instead of using a nylock nut on your bolts get a double deep nut and tighten it in place, drill a 1/8th hole through the bolt and nut and drive a roll pin into the nut. That slows down thieves nearly 1000%.

Jack.

Dory4.1
21-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Good idea Tunaticer, the nyloc nuts only slows them down as they have to unwind the nut for the entire length of the bolt, the longer it takes them to undo it, the greater the chance they will be caught.

Cheers
Michael

CreelReaper
21-10-2008, 07:35 PM
You are right there Bretty......many a year ago on the north side of Brissie I heard of a scumbag crew that were stealing outboards by using a chainsaw to cut the whole transom out and carry the lot away.

Matt76
21-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Well I bought an awesome boat cover today from Northside marine that fits really nicely over the boat with straps all round it and I put a big chain and padlock around the motor and the transom support bar. Hopefully if someone wants it more than me at least it will slow them down a bit.

I also looked at the stainless locks they had there but at $70 each I am sure I can make something just as good myself. I'll let you know how I go with that one.

moater
22-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Bloody thievin' mongrels around!! >:(

Booby traps would be great except for the p##ft@ laws in place.A good alarm system doesn't go astray either and I've had a thought about making one myself also out of (don't laugh) a smoke alarm that's enclosed in a sturdy steel and wire enclosure that's mounted out of easy reach.Then would have some sort of simple electrical method of producing some smoke when a switch is activated by movement.The old smoke alarm is pretty noisy and guaranteed to get neighbours' attention,not to mention deafen the bastards trying to flog ya gear.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands??...::)

Tougher punishments would help too..

Darren

White Pointer
22-10-2008, 09:08 PM
G'day,

The problem with thieves is that they don't care! They get something for nothing never service it and when its wrecked they chuck it over the side and go and steal another.

The problem with insurance is that they know the risks and the premiums get pretty exxy unless the boat is secured against theft, even to the extent of alarming the garage.

Both problems can be solved:

1. Multiple deterents: DPI fisheries, EPA, Transport Marine Safety and the water Police would do a lot for their credibility if, every time they approached a boat they checked HIN, engine number, registration details and the ID of the master and did it regularly. Insurance companies would do a lot for us if immobilisers on engines attracted lower premiums. We could do a lot for us if we and our dealing industry routinely blasted boat/motor/trailer with HIN/Engine No and VIN data dots.

2. Close the loop! The NT doesn't require boats to be registered so if you lose the lot guess where its most likely to turn up? It is not acceptable and we should start lobbying our States for this black hole to be closed.

3. Create a register of responsible persons. A responsible person is someone who checks out the alignment of HIN/Engine/VIN and data dots on every boat/motor/trailer they see for trade-in, servicing, new engines on old boats, everything.

If we get the industries that charge us also working to protect us the opportunity for thieves is reduced - never eliminated and the credibility of the boating and insurance industries is enhanced.

The BIA could coordinate this. Are they up for it?

White Pointer

Braddles
23-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I will never forget visiting one of my best mates place years ago when we were in our very early 20's - he had just bought himself a 70's style walk up 2 bedroom apartment at greenslopes with lovely city views for next to nix.... He also happened to be at the time the Australian Judo champ for his weight for some years running...

I was busy perving on the neighbours houses being a nosey parker from some height- and spotted what we were sure was sus activity in a side yard area of a neighbour my mate had met only days before at his house warming, and knew he wasnt islander... Two blokes tinkering "under a tarp" of what we thought was a box trailer or the like.... But when a car went by, they would duck down which caught our attention ..

Then when they removed the outboard of this covered little punt thing and it appeared from under the tarp - we knew they were up to no good. Steve was down the several flights of stairs and met them at the gate.... while I (big skirt) remained on the balcony and called the police.....

The police's response "OH we will get a car around there when we can etc"

Steven's Action - One pI88sed off - but he grabbed one and beat the absolute crap out of him, the noise alerting the owner / neighbour who was in his late 50's- who came on and joined in... I honestly thought they were going to kill him... but I too had a little smirk of justice on my face.

I cant remember exactly how long it was - but it was HOURS later, the police turned up.... Now I am not blaming the attending police, but if a robbery is in progress, and you call 000, and the job is tasked so low of a priority that it takes HOURS for a 000 response - then its no wonder 1) People take things into their own hands and 2) Criminals know they are safe (Other than on Newdegate st at greenslopes)... That was ten years ago now - I am almost certain the problem of police resources is only worse now.

I dont want a bombardment of how morally improper the action was either, so if your going down that track - save yourself - I dont care and would do it again. Grubs / Theives only understand one language....... and it isnt what the magistrate has to say.

upstart
23-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Braddles, that tory reminds me of a 'joke' where a bloke rang up to report a robbery in progress and the cops said they'd be around when they could. He waited a few minutes and rang the cops back and said take your time I just shot them all dead. Apparently there was a stack of cop cars there within minutes and they caught the thieves red handed. When asked about the shooting he replied.....I thought you said there were no cops available!!!

Dory4.1
24-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Upstart, LoL very funny.

Cheers
Michael

STUIE63
24-10-2008, 10:58 AM
With my new motor I got a data dot system that I could stick the dots all over the motor well I stuck them on the motor the plotter the sounder and anywhere else that I thought might be handy it doesn't stop it being stolen but it might get it back later on
Stuie

Flex
24-10-2008, 02:08 PM
A friend of mine not 1 week ago had the side wall of his shed cut open, his 2x 140hp Suzuki outboards cut/unbolted off his Kevlar cat, his GPS/Sounder stolen and all his fishing gear. He stores his Boat on a unhoused piece of land in a locked up shed. the worst part is they cut his fuel lines which means he has to rip up his Kevlar deck to install new ones.

it would have taken at least 4 blokes to lift each outboard which are 170kg each, plus they came well prepared with tools/cutters to cut his shed open and then unbolt his outboards.

The best thing you can do against theft is simply make sure you are insured thoroughly, if thieves are determined they can steal anything unfortunately