PDA

View Full Version : When does a jetski (PWC) become a boat?

finga
20-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Just sitting and contemplating life yesterday and thought...What's the difference between a PWC and a boat now-a-days.
Seeing they're (PWC's) are capable of getting 3 POB, able to do 100km/h and near as big as my boat.
Here's one that's 250hp :o http://www.jetskiworld.com.au/2008models/ultra%20250X.htm

Well all you smarty pants....What's the difference?? What's the definition of PWC because I thought it was Personal Water Craft as in one POB but you can near fit more people on one then my boat can legally have

Just a bit peeved that a PWC can have rego numbers 100mm high and a little tiny tinny has to have rego numbers 200mm high so they can be seen clearly by anyone (and rightly so).
I just put some on one of my little mate boat and they were bigger then the distance between the waterline and the gunnel.

100mm high numbers on a PWC going past at over 100km/h are pretty hard to see aren't they? So why are they 100mm high and not 200mm high?

Peoples eye sights must also be crook in QLD as NSW boaties only need numbers 150mm high.

As my old mate Julius Sumner-Miller used to say...Why is this so?

Cheers then from
Mystified Scott :-/

Noelm
20-10-2008, 11:33 AM
maybe a PWC you sit ON, but a Boat you sit IN!! probably absolutely nothing to do with it, but it's the first thing that crossed my feeble mind!

Spaniard_King
20-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Scott,

Only when the man who has the book of FINES or a court says so;D

Don't think there is any defining characteristics...they all come under 1 banner for collision rules i.e vessel

It's seems to be that they are segregated for registration and licencing.

I have been through surveying a PWC and its quite painfull too::)

pedrodepacus
20-10-2008, 11:42 AM
its probly to do with the laws not moving with the times as most of the early skis were the old stand ups and only could usually carry one person. just a thought

FNQCairns
20-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Thought it would be whatever the manufacturer called it, probably all stems from this point.

cheers fnq

xrnath
20-10-2008, 12:22 PM
maybe a PWC you sit ON..

Those are my thoughts too... ;)

Definition, A motorised vessel less than 15 feet in length designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing or kneeling on it rather than within the confines of a hull.

disorderly
20-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Personally I'm satisfied that there actually is a differentiation between "them" and "us".

The-easyrider
20-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I was going to say that PWCs are the ones being operated by a mindless idiots, but I have meet some of those in boats aswell::)

choppa
20-10-2008, 02:33 PM
the term "jetski" is now more of a trademark that recognises the vast array of PWC'S in production,,,,

PWC are unique in the area as stated above that you are not "inside" the vessel but ride "upon", and in the early days "stood"

similar to what makes a raft a raft,,,,,

to define a PWC as a boat would mean that the design would have to encompass a hull that was reliant on the crafts bouyancy, and sufficient in size to carry the operator "within"

i use to love Prf Julius,,,,, taught me how to make my first smoke bomb,,,

choppa

walruss
20-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

In Victoria under the Marine Act a Personal Watercraft (PWC) is defined as follows:-

personal watercraft means any recreational vessel that is of a kind that is
required, by or under this Act to be registered and that-

(a) has an engine that is used for propulsion; and

(b) has a fully enclosed hull; and

(c) does not retain water on it if it capsizes; and

(d) is designed to be operated by a person standing, sitting astride or
kneeling on the vessel, but not seated within the vessel;

Hope this might help.

Russ

plaztix
20-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I was going to say that PWCs are the ones being operated by a mindless idiots, but I have meet some of those in boats aswell::)

LOL ;D thats what i was going to say.

Noelm
21-10-2008, 08:09 AM
so the on and not in things sounds Ok then, makes sense as things like Wave Skis and stuff are PWC's geees I am smarter than I thought!

Dirtysanchez
21-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Anyone got any good info on turning a PWC into a useful part time fishing vessel ?

I saw a short video the other day of some kiwi bloke on a fishing show playing out a marlin at sea on a large jet ski, looked kind of exciting in a WTF would you do it type of way ;D could be a good comprimise for me later on when I want to upgrade the jurassic tinny.

Thanks

Noelm
21-10-2008, 01:32 PM
the trouble with all those Fishing shows, is the fact that the Jetski is only used from a big Boat, they raise the Fish and so on, then jump on the jetski for the fight, but I am sure you could modify one for full on Fishing, not too sure how dry you would be though, or how much gear you would lose over the side.

Dirtysanchez
21-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Agreed Noel, imagine winter fishing for snaps off Mud, freezing your balls off :(

tunaticer
21-10-2008, 06:08 PM
A couple of employers at a place i used to work at bought a pair of big PWC's and used to head out from Whyte Island ramp to around Flat Rock trolling for mackeral hoos and tuna last summer. Heard through the grapevine they had a few fantastic experiences and one or two not so good experiences. Haven't heard if they are planning on doing it agian this summer or not.

Jack.