PDA

View Full Version : Paint job on the Quintrex Hornet 435

Haphazard1
19-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Just thought I would show everyone some pictures of the Quintrex Hornet 435 I have just painted. The outboard was in for some TLC and there was enough time for me to give the quintrex a coat of paint. I purchased it bare but had always planned to paint it. I would still like to put some sort of stripping along the side but will wait and see what happens. Will try to put in some before and after but not really sure how to insert pictures / files.

cheers.8-)

Red60
23-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Top job there Haphazard1, it looks great. Particularly like your switch box setup, and mounts for the sounder / GPS.

upstart
23-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Hey Mate, I like your canopy set-up. Is that a custom job?

KGW3
23-10-2008, 08:55 AM
I would have left it natural alloy. Don't have to worry about scratches, dents or washing. I learned my lesson with new painted boat and the corrosion that lifts the paint off..

Benno1
23-10-2008, 08:57 AM
lookin shmick...how long did it take you???

Mrs Benno1

Seahorse
23-10-2008, 06:13 PM
looks first class.
definately looks better than bare alley.
A dent is a dent in any boat.
It amazes me when u see someone who is proud of his job and looks real good that some people just cant help themselves, and say should left it alloy.
Hap, top job mate.

greg

MyEscape
24-10-2008, 05:21 AM
THat's top job you've done there. Whilst bare alloy might be durable, the painted hull looks great. Unless you're doing a lot of crabbing, a bit of care will see the boat without too many scratches etc.

I've got a Seajay CX Escape and it's white and looks great also.

The better it looks the better you'll look after it. Afterall, it's probably yourpride and joy. I know mine is.

Steve

Poseidon
24-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Looks a million dollars, you have given it some character and a vast improvement on the bare metal.

nigelr
24-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Great job, haphazard.
What paint did you use, and what did you use to apply it?
I'd say you added a few $ to the value, also.
Cheers.

Haphazard1
26-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Upstart, The canopy was fitted when I pruchased the boat. I did get the cover made up and fitted. This keeps it a lot tidier and protects the canopy material from bugs ect when travelling.

KGW3, Horses for courses mate. I have found that the painted surfaces easier to keep clean. Also I think that the paint will actually prevent corrosion and prolong the life of the aluminium.IMO.

Mrs Benno, The boat was out of action for about two weeks, this was while the outboard was getting some warranty repairs. All up it took this long but actual time stripping down, preparation, painting, cleaning up and refitting all the bits and pieces I would say about 30 hours. Thats 30 hours in the shed with the usual comforms (XXXX) so not all that hard.

nigelr, I used two pack paint as it will set harder. I have a 10 litre pressure pot I utilized. The only hassle with two pack is the clean up takes longer and you have to use thinners rather than water.

I am very happy with the end result and after a day fishing yesterday it cleaned up very easily so hopefully it will look like this for a long time.