PDA

View Full Version : Turning my 4.55 into a self drainer?

Flex
19-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi all. I own a 4.55m seajay SP model. I've torn all the carpet off a while ago and sealed all the timber floor except the stern with silicone. This makes it easy to clean as all muck washes into the bilge and then gets pumped out.

I have been thinking of sealing the whole deck properly and installing scuppers. Which would make it a safer boat, and mostly easier to clean. But before I proceed what are the ramifications of doing so? I was possibly considering getting an aluminium floor welded in, but im not sure what affect that would have on the boat?

GBC
19-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Talk to the factory mate, they did a run of self drainers years ago but canned the idea. They might still even have drawings of the sheets.
I believe they couldn't get the outside of the hull to look pretty enough.

finding_time
19-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Also

Dont make the floor to high!!! I would make it level with the water at rest but under way you could open the scuppers to drain then close them just before you stop again. Make the floor to high will make the boat unstable!

ian

northernblue
19-10-2008, 09:34 PM
The problem with most boats that size [with self drainig floors] is they usually become "self drowning" At rest you will spend most of your time with wet feet.

FNQCairns
19-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Too dangerous in small boats, the ability for flooding water to reach and fill the bottom of the boat first means lots more water can be taken overboard and will act as ballast first.

cheers fnq