PDA

View Full Version : cast nets above twin bridges

Big bosco 1
19-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Hello to all i wonder if anybody can tell me if catnets are legal or even allowed above twin bridges on the brisbane river fernvale :-/ i have been fishing this area for around a year and a half from my viking for bass with good results but just latley there have been people turning up with thier tin boats cast nets crab traps and such like just this weekend 2.30am sat mornig i was stowing my gear in the yak when these two guys from in town bris pull up with cast net crab traps and beach type rods they look at the water and state it must be low tide i laffs and says your above mnt crosby weir no tide up here puzzled looks from the lads i mention that i did not think that cast nets were legal up here as it was fresh water and that there were no crab. was told its our first time here and besides who is going to know i replied i have a camera with that the cast net was stowed under boat seat as they headed up river i later saw them using said net and lowering traps into water allthough i could not get close enough for a pic as the tin boat had a petrol motor and they were 300- 400 meters up river from were i landed my first bass for the morning anyway my mian concern is for the platypuss and schools of freshwater gar i see on each trip up the river ;D Cheers Bosco

ronnien
19-10-2008, 09:22 AM
bosco

as far as i know you are not allowed to use a cast net in fresh water, infact i am 100% sure. next time remind them of this.cast nets have a big effect on freshwater systems.

ron.

rayken1938
19-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Give the hotline a ring definately not legal in fresh water.
Cheers
Ray

jareyjareyjareyjarey
23-10-2008, 05:07 PM
what would they be netting for? shrimp?

Big bosco 1
24-10-2008, 06:16 AM
what would they be netting for? shrimp?

I do not think so i believe they were trying for the freshwater gar and small bait fish that are in that stretrch.

Cheers Bosco;D

oldboot
30-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Cast nets are most certainly only permitted aparatus in tidal waters. likewise crab pots.

but there are some specific aparatus that are only permitted in non tidal waters... like opera house traps.

there are also different regulations on how many rodas and hooks may be used and how.

If you are going to fish up in the fresh you real should know the rules........ problay because the aparatus specified for fresh is far more suitable.

lets hope they snagged a bullrout in their cast net or crab pot...... thay problay would not know what that is;D

cheers