PDA

View Full Version : TOHATSU - thats who

rhycebullimore
17-10-2008, 03:47 PM
hey guys, has anyone had much to do with 2007/2008 model tohatsu motors ? i just purchased a 50hp triple cylindar triple carby electric trim and tilt electric start for my 4m boat. Basically just wanting to know anyone with them or if you know of people who had them and how they run ?

thanks

Roughasguts
17-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh dear sorry you wasted your money there crap!

Only kidding actually thay look like the old DT model Suzukis so they must be good.

Or at least resonable! but a little thirsty.

Cheers.

rhycebullimore
17-10-2008, 04:44 PM
yea triple carby triple cylindar 50 on a 4 meter shouldn't use too much, 08
model

dreemon
17-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Tiller steering or wheel ?, must be fun to drive either way ;D

rhycebullimore
18-10-2008, 06:09 AM
tiller, don't know yet get boat back wed and ill head down the weir for a test drive.

pilchardjones
18-10-2008, 06:26 AM
50 seems a little light on for power for a 4m boat uncle jessie :D
uncle rico

rhycebullimore
18-10-2008, 06:30 AM
uncle rico what you doing this time of day

bushbeachboy
18-10-2008, 07:49 AM
The Toey is a good motor mate. It will run well, be economical, and go like the clappers for years. Good choice!!!!

BenDover
18-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Cheap and good, although mine is in the shop being rebuilt now. Im not sure if it was just my motor, 40hp 2 stroke (2 cylinder) but there was a bit of carosion between the head gasket. And around the place when it was all apart. Maybe just a bad seal from factory or something. But worth keeping an eye on.
BD

dreemon
18-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I thought 40 hp was about max for 4 metre tinnys, ? what pitch prop is it getting fitted with around 14 / 15 ? , I'd like to know what it will do WOT

rhycebullimore
18-10-2008, 03:50 PM
ill let you know - not sure which prop its with, but if possible i will be reducing top speed to get more hole shot - i mean im prolly not going to get it to WOT, yea 40 recomended but i had heaps of work done, ie strenghting weight, decks/floor.rear decks, gunnels, chopped pathetic looking bow out and got it fixed up with some handy aluminum fabrication, so its pretty heavy now and i got an offer too good to refuse on a 50...they are same as 40 weight everything right down to throat of carby. if need be i will get boat recertified. at end of the day there is no need to use all the power, i would like the fuel saving from being slightly over powered tho.

nigelr
18-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I believe this motor is the darling of the 'Thundercat' set...........prob speaks volumes.
Cheers and enjoy!

rhycebullimore
18-10-2008, 04:32 PM
thundercat set ????

Outsider1
18-10-2008, 04:39 PM
thundercat set ????

http://www.thundercatracing.com.au/Flying.JPG

http://www.thundercatracing.com.au/home.htm

tin can marlin
18-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Big fan of the toeys i think they are as good as the 2 leading 2 stroke brand yam and merc they just have not be advertised and don't have a good dealer network. If they did they would sell a heap more. Good choise and good luck with it.

Blaster Bretty
19-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Nothing wrong with the tohatsu (that's who) motor's. If it was in my budget I would have gone a brand spanker 40 but had to settle for a 2000 johnno 40, still love the johnno but!!
still I have heard nothing but good things about tohatsu, as said above they are used by the thundercat racer's and many surf life saving mob's so that in itself say's heaps about them.

Bretty

ellykan
19-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Hey Tohaty Buyer
Yer, Great Motor Mate, Just As Good If Not Better Than The Leading Brands, Just Not Marketed As Well. I Have Had Two Now Over Ten Years, Not A Problem With Any, Got A 3 Cylinder 40 On A 4.35 Tinny Wello To Sandhills And Back On 12litres. 50 On A 4 Metre Will Fly! Be Careful.

Ellykan

Gilli
19-10-2008, 08:52 PM
yeh im thinking of getting a 40hp tohy for my 4 meter. mate of mine up here in T'ville works for B&M outboards and highly recommends them, he says although they may be older technology, they still go as good and if not better than the new yammies.

Mindi
20-10-2008, 08:56 AM
I notice the number of hire boat ops using them..? says something about them being pretty robust doesnt it..?

rhycebullimore
09-12-2008, 02:14 PM
all fitted up and running well, extremly well...B and M fitted it up for me with one of his fins on and a secondary trim and tilt swith. Install is immaculate couldnt have beeen happier with it. i just installed the Nmea fuel flow sensor and am waiting to give it a good work out but it idles along at 1.8 l/ph. Now a fully loaded tinny 2 ppl gear and 80 l esky i get along at 44km/hr and im sitting on exactly half throttle. Leaps out of the hole and top speed at WOT is about 57km/h im pretty certain this is the hull speed and it's not possible to go any faster than this as it starts to chine walk/dance. but over all im extremly happy with it.

Moonlighter
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Mate I've got the Tohatsu TLDI 90 and its a great motor, run up nearly 400hrs and going strong.

All Toeys are made in Japan (quality!) at a new factory. Have a look at their website, very interesting history, been around as long or longer than most of the others.

I did a fair bit of research prior to buying mine and couldn't find many bad words to be said.

As an aside, Tohatsu officially recommended Valvoline 2 st oil to me as their preferred oil for the TLDI's, so I reckon that'd be the go for your 50 2st as well. Pay under $30 for 5 litres at Super-budgie - it-ll make you so sad to see those e-tec clowns paying nearly that much for just 1 litre of their special blue juice!

Grant

Mindi
10-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Mate I've got the Tohatsu TLDI 90 and its a great motor, run up nearly 400hrs and going strong.

All Toeys are made in Japan (quality!) at a new factory. Have a look at their website, very interesting history, been around as long or longer than most of the others.

I did a fair bit of research prior to buying mine and couldn't find many bad words to be said.

As an aside, Tohatsu officially recommended Valvoline 2 st oil to me as their preferred oil for the TLDI's, so I reckon that'd be the go for your 50 2st as well. Pay under $30 for 5 litres at Super-budgie - it-ll make you so sad to see those e-tec clowns paying nearly that much for just 1 litre of their special blue juice!

Grant

Hi Grant

Would be really interested to hear more about it. Would make a change from ETecs. How is the grunt and fuel usage..? what sort of boat do you push with it..? noise levels..? compared to what before..?
I know it is hard not to be objective about your own motor but we hear very little about Tohatsu. I have the impression that early days they were imported by somebody who did not buy warranty cover with the motors and this lead to some warranty claim problems..? but I am suspecting they might be imported differently now..?

rhycebullimore
10-12-2008, 04:20 PM
a mate of mine has a 50 tldi and can't complain at all, very happy all round. i couldn't because of the weight. so i just got the oil injected two stroke.

squizzytaylor
10-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I have a 60HP 2 stroke on my poly 455 side console.
Motor is 18months old and has been awesome to date.
All toeys are imported by lakeside marine on the NSW central coast and while Tohatsu offer a 12 month warranty, lakeside personally upgrade all units sold in Aus to 36 months for recreational purposes.
What you must be carefull of is not to modify the engine at all without discussing it with either Tohatsu or the Dealership from which you bought it, the example I will give is: I wanted to fit a Permatrim to my engine and rang Lakeside and they stated they would not cover any part that may be effected by the fitting of the Perma, I pressed further and they basically said that this may include such items as the pivot and trim bushes (due to the extra force exerted on them) and were quite reasonable about it really, in a twist of irony Permas are sold as an OEM part by Toey in the USA and Canada.
Also interesting to learn that Tohatsu is Japans biggest producer of outboards fullstop!! (Current in 2006-2007), and has been for over 30 years.
I find my motor noisy in comparison to 4 strokes and HI-tech 2 strokes but no noisier than any other 2 stroke carb engine.
At wide open throttle the motor is said to drink 24 litres of fuel per hour, however at Cruise (22-23knots @4500-4800 RPM drinks in the vicinity of 14 litres per hour, it is a rare day that I would use more than 20-25 litres when sticking to the lake here and 40 litres on a short trip be it to the fad 14k's out or the same distance up or down the coast.

Cheers
Geoff

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/squizzytaylor/forster2008/IMGP1636.jpg

Jono_SS
10-12-2008, 08:47 PM
I have had a 50 hp TLDI for 4 and a half years. it is now on my 4.5 m plate (4mm) tinny, and pushes it fine. Hole shot was a bit suss early on, but a smaller pitch prop and a foil rectified that problem.

top end speed is about 27 knots.

i used 45 litres the other day to do around 65 nautical miles in crappy northerly chop.

it's a little on the noisy side...then again, I do sit right next to it (it's a tiller steer).

idles beautifully.

very happy.

Dave_H
11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I've recently been discussing upgrade options for my (very reliable but difficult to get spares for quickly) 1971 60hp Evinrude with both the Office-of-War,-Peace-and-the-Interior.... and Bill's Outboards at Weston (near Kurri Kurri).

Quoted figures (I'd rather keep them to myself as after looking around a bit I've dicovered I'm really getting looked after well here) for a 90hp Tohatsu fitted - with the additional upgrades of power trim instead of just tilt, a warranty, similar weight to the 3 cyl Evinrude I'm replacing etc (not to mention probably better economy as I am pushing an early 70's 16ft Caribbean Cobra around) have all pointers having me make the change-over within the next couple of months (time permitting).

I looked at other brands but got the feeling I would have been just paying for a name. Hey, that is just my opinion.

All the best!

Regards,

Dave H.

Fish'n Junky
11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Good choice.
I've had a 2007 model since new, and had absolutely no problems.
keep the servicing up, flush well, and give it a squirt of inox now and then and she'll serve you well.

Coontakinta
11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Grant

Would be really interested to hear more about it. Would make a change from ETecs. How is the grunt and fuel usage..? what sort of boat do you push with it..? noise levels..? compared to what before..?
I know it is hard not to be objective about your own motor but we hear very little about Tohatsu. I have the impression that early days they were imported by somebody who did not buy warranty cover with the motors and this lead to some warranty claim problems..? but I am suspecting they might be imported differently now..?

Mindi, I too have the 90 TLDI, and as Grant hasnt got back to you in this post I thought I would.

I too would have to say that after 3 years pretty heavy use, I'm pretty happy with the motor with perhaps one exception. When I looked at powering my 5m Razerline I looked at ETEC and was pretty impressed except for some misinformation on my part and a mishap on the day of the water test with one.

The mishap involved the motor not reving past 1200rpm. I knew from reading up on these that this was the safe mode of the motor in the event of low oil presure or overheating (I think). Anyway, turned out that the motor had not been set up prior to the test and we had to wait around for a tech to come out to the ramp, plug in his palm pilot and make some sort of mod's / set up to the motor. I'm thinking all along WTF???? Anyway, this left me a little disturbed.

The misinformation stemmed from the belief that the technologhy was the same as the ilfated FICHT technology. I'd heard of pistons through blocks etc and again this put me off. However in surmising, I thought the ETEC was smooth and quiet and smoke free. I had no idea about oils or fuel usage.

Had I not been given a VERY good price on a TLDI, I might have stuck with an ETEC beacause I didnt want a carby 2 stroke and the 4 strokes in my HP class were also carby at the time. I wanted something injected. ( Thats another story, so I wont go into it here!)

Anyway, so onto the TLDI and your questions, (Sorry I digrested a fair bit) I'd say that the Tohatsu is as smooth, quiet, and smoke free as any ETEC. My fuel usage seems to compare favourably with those posted on various forums by etec owners also. HOWEVER, one thing that I find, although this is not supported by fellow TLDI owners, is that it seems down on power compared to a similar size ETEC, although on paper this would not appear to be the case, with others with similar hulls and 90 ETEC's supposedly spinning larger blades than I can on my TLDI. I am spinning a 14" alloy blade to acheive max rev's. The standard 15" would not allow me to reach the reccommended max rpm. I have not had an ounce of trouble with motor and would probably buy another if the price was right. Apart from the lack of power, the only other draw back is the resale of these motors. Unless they are considerably cheaper then u stand to loose a fair bit come upgrade time in my opinion.

As mentioned I too run the synthetic fortified Valvoline reccommended by Tohatsu. 5 litres sells for around the $30-$35 mark. I probably use a bottle a year and my boat gets used a minimum of once / twice a month.

I cant give u comparisons on a "what before" as its the first motor on this hull. However, I can compare it to a 75hp optimax, all be it on a different hull. That motor is mounted to 490C Nthbnk owned by my father. I have a fair bit of experience with this hull also as my father is based in a country location negating the need for me to tow my rig there at times.

Now b4 I get an ear bashing from those with etecs or opti's I 8nt bagging either just trying to make comparisons on MY experiences.

The tohie, again in my view, & the ETEC is smoother than the opti, quieter, and less smokey. I reckon its also more fuel effecient, although I dont have the fiqures to prove it. Nor can I vouch for its oil usage compared to the other two.

In concluding (sorry I know I've rambled a bit here and maybe even hijacked the thread a bit) I'd say u'd be mad to discount the TLDI in any consideration of a 90HP DI. In fact I think u'd be made not to consider a Tohie for any power plant!

Moonlighter
12-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi all

Apologies for not responding earlier.

My TLDI 90 is on a JBS Plate alloy cuddy cabin 4.8m long. Solid little sucker, weighs 1100kg BMT combo.:o

Previously had a Yamaha 70hp and this boat/motor combo performance details as follows:

Yammy 70hp 2 stroke Oil injected
Motor weight: 105kg
Top speed: 55km/hr
Cruise 4500 - 4800 rpm
Fuel used : 2.25 km/litre consistently
Range (with my 100 l tank) = 225km

Tohatsu TLDI 90hp
Weight: 143kg. Lightest 2 or 3 star engine available at the time, = with e-tec 90.
Cruise 3800 - 4500rpm at 40 - 50kmh
Fuel used: 3.3 to 3.5 km per litre!! :D :D (around 11 l per hour on a typical offshore trip Cleveland to the 35fathom reefs and back)
Range on 100 l tank : 350km.:D :D :D

Major fuel savings from the Tohatsu 90 TLDI compared to the Yammy 2 stroke, and bear in mind that the Yammies were regarded as a pretty fuel efficient 2 stroke in their own right!;D ;D ;D

Noise:
BobP (Ausfish member) calls the Toey "the little diesel" - I think he's probably reached land after swimming home following that remark,::) but in truth he's not far off the mark. Its not as quiet as a 4 st by a long shot, maybe close to an e-tec. But idles very smooth and with no evident smoke and no bad smells.

Warranty/servicing
Been very reliable, and regarding 2yr warranty, I had no need to test it, however about 6 months ago when the motor was well and truly out of warranty, I received a letter from Lakeside Marine telling me of a recall to address a potential issue with the EFI fuel filter rubbing on the cowl and possibly wearing thru - they did the recall and replaced the filter and bracket with new ones - no charge, so I think this speaks very positively of their post-sales committment to their proiduct these days.

Jon Eadie does my servicing now and I'd recommend him - knows Tohatsu's and Suzi's better than the manufacturers themselves, I reckon!

Props
The only issue, if you'd call it that, is as Coota said - the std alloy props they come with are ordinary to say the least. They swing a very large diameter prop and the result is slow out of the hole, and struggle a bit to push heavy loads up onto the plane. Also, they lack grip and cavitate in turns if you don't watch your trim. More a pain than a real drama, just annoying at times.

The solution, Jon assures me, is a SS merc prop that will fit straight nto the Toeys- I forget the name/size, but I'm getting closer to getting one!!

Overall, a great motor that's very underrated. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them:D

Grant

Coontakinta
13-12-2008, 09:59 AM
moonlighter, when u get the details of that prop can ya let me know.

Been wanting to know if the merc vengance props will fit on the Tohie so I can test one on mine.

Your fuel fiqures seem pretty similar to mine one up, over flat water at 3800rpm as do your speed at those rpms.

Somewhere in this forun I recently posted some pics of fuel usage against rpm and speed taken from my NAVMAN fuel management system. Anyone interested in those should do a search as it may well be worth the effort.8-)

Cheers

Moonlighter
15-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi Coota

Will do - in fact I've just PM's Jon Eadie to ask the question and will let you know when I get a reply - I'm not sure if he's on Ausfish that often but will wait and see.

I'm very interested in how the Navman/Northstar fuel monitor works with your TLDI. Any details would be appreciated.

Grant

Coontakinta
16-12-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...hlight=Tohatsu

Moonlighter above is a link to where I have posted some snap shots of the Fuel flow meter in action. Hope it helps with your enquiry. The first is at 1000rpm and the second at 4500rpm.

If ya need anything else, just ask

Dave_H
30-05-2009, 06:36 PM
After copping a retrenchment on the nose early this year I have been a little slow to get back to replacing my old motor. Last week I finally purchased my new 90hp Tohatsu, have run it in (testing props as well) and fitted a 16 inch pitch Vengance prop to the motor which sees some very respectable numbers. It is a huge step-up from the old 60hp Evinrude I replaced.

Thank you to those who have provided the good advice to the previous posters (g'day Sqizzy), it has been very helpful!

Regards,

Dave H.

big moose
31-05-2009, 09:55 PM
08 toeys are 08 mercs or rather 08 mercs are toeys good choice that thing should fly and be very reliable.

fishn-ads
01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah ha 50hp on 4m, had a 40 toey on the 4.2 and it went like clappers!!! 25knot ish

After blowing up the two cyl. twice (plastic bags and mud) went back to black anchor 30hp elect start (getting older) lost about 4 knots.

Watch the weight of the 3 cly. pretty sure there a heavy motor.

I got a cheap 40 in shed? ;)

Adam

Coontakinta
01-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Big fan of the toeys i think they are as good as the 2 leading 2 stroke brand yam and merc they just have not be advertised and don't have a good dealer network. If they did they would sell a heap more. Good choise and good luck with it.

Agreed TCM, but as an owner of one, I'd say its the dealer network that lets them down and restricts sales. Merc, Yam, Bombadier dealers on every street corner these days, but Tohie dealers.......well:-/

Dave71
02-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Mate I had a 40 on a 435 side console. Towed a couple of kids around on tubs no worries. Good on fuel. I would buy another one. If you do a engine review on boat point it goes into who makes what motors and Tohy,s make the engines for the "Better brand " engines.