PDA

View Full Version : Another Somerset Report

Gordie
16-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Gave it a good try on wednesday. On the water by 4.30, fished up the top near the fishing club lane ( Refer- Beacon to Beacon ) Tried surface popper and shallow running lures and also "live shrimp" did not get a touch.

Down to Oaky Creek and off some of the points in that area, still nothing, plenty of bait fish on the sounder. Think I had a Saratoga feeding around me up Oaky Creek.

Gave up by 11 am and took my shrimp to a friends place up the Stanley River to see if there were any Bass or Yellowbelly in their usual haunts. Caught a couple of undersized Bass.

I would say the lager Bass and Yellows are down towards the dam wall on their spawning run like their wild cousins. They dont produce in the impoundments but you can catch Yellows full of roe this time of the year. The pattens are the same.

Like to see comments with better knowledge than I on this subject.

Regards Gordon

Sniper
17-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Heard there are some big schools down around the spit. About a month ago there were scattered schools between Queen St and Pelican Point.
Might head out there maybe this weekend or next weekend.
Cheers
Bill

Gordie
17-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I have never taken my Tinnie much further than the holiday park area.

Might do a run the full length of the dam. Is there anything we should watch out for, sunken forests etc.

Happy to hear any advice on that folks.

Regards Gordon

Luc
17-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Brian,

Fished Somerset today (0630 to noon) launched from Kirkleigh & fished Queen St area and up to The Junction.

Very quiet, 2 goldens Queen St area, no schooled up fish seen only the odd scattered echo plenty of solid bait shows.

With the current water levels (about 1 metre to full capacity) you should'nt have any problems running around the dam especially towards the wall.

Towards the dam wall, skiers & jet skis become common.

Luc

Gordie
18-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Fished there again in a saturday morning comp. 'Generaly quiet' reports from all members.

My mate landed the only fish in my boat, a 7.6 kg yellowbelly. I am going to avoid him for a few weeks. Can't handle all the crowing.

Regards Gordon

Bradsmad
18-10-2008, 08:03 PM
That's an awsome yella Gordon, any pics?

Brad

darylive
18-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Gordon as Luc says with the current levels you should be OK in the main water.

When the water was right down i plotted a safe track out of necessity and use it now.

If you head toward the wall as you turn from the main body right through the dog leg past the cliff give the spit a wide berth it is shallow a far way out.

Gordie
19-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the above advice, Wife and I will take a day out on the water during the week when the dam is quiet.

As for the photograph of the big golden I will get to work on that. I will have to remove his big grin some how.

Regards Gordon

culbara
19-10-2008, 07:53 PM
went over with our fishing club about 3 weeks ago and the only place we caught fish was over in the queen st area. They were biting best on bibbed lures semi deep and when trolled and my wife got two small yellows in three casts over in the timber area near there
All told fotr the weekend we got 18 bass most were undersize and got the 2 yellowbellies