PDA

View Full Version : Webster Twinfisher '08 Models

getin'catty
16-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience with the new twinfisher range. I know they struggled a lot in the past with there single engine set up, but it appears to be sorted out now.

Do they have any other compromises or flaws?

DR
16-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience with the new twinfisher range. I know they struggled a lot in the past with there single engine set up, but it appears to be sorted out now.

Do they have any other compromises or flaws?

All boats are a compromise, with Websters you either love them or hate them & most who hate them are using the old ' I heard etc' & have never been in one. Also, don't compare with Kevlacats & other glass twin engine models, as cost & finish etc are totally different.

How did they struggle with the single engine???
I think they have been pretty good from the beginning, some other manufacturers may have had a few probs with single engines.
They can only be an improvement on the earlier models, which should make them pretty darn good..

Crocodile
16-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I have a '97 4.3 Webster, 60hp 2str Yamaha.
Engine is very efficient, planes at 12 knots, cruise 18 knots at 4000RPM, WOT 27 knots 5250RPM, by GPS.
No cavitation but will ventilate if over-trimmed.
Very soft riding and stable, excellent offshore handing, never broaches.
Leans the wrong way in turns which takes some getting used to.
Can be wet but mine a CC so no protection, a runabout with covers no problem.
So good offshore that you tend to get over-confident.
What do you want to use it for?

getin'catty
16-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I have converted a mate to cats and he is looking at the 5.2 twinfisher. Usage would be for mainly offshore. We have seen the promotional footage for them and they look pretty damn good and not to badley priced but was wondering if anyone had got one and found any vices with them. I wouldn't expect it to be as soft in the water as a fibreglass cat but everything is a compromise.

Greg P
16-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Went halves with the old man on one this year (not an 08 model). I have to say there are a pretty good little boat that punches way above it's division. The tunnel could be a little higher up front as they really hate anything over 1/2m head-on but other than that he is very happy with it.

Single donk has not been an issue - works well for what it is.

Cheers

Greg

Lovey80
22-10-2008, 02:48 AM
I have the 2000 model (i think) 4.3CC. I love the boat that much that if it ever dies I will replace it with a later model one. I use it for estuary and close offshore stuff...... Mooloolaba, nearings, blinker, Murphy's. For a 4.3 tinny I can't praise it enough. If there was one thing that I could change with mine is it's lack of buoyancy in the rear as I now have a 4st and a big esky down the back (this problem has been solved with the full length pod on the rear and little "extended pod style hulls at the rear") in the new ones.

I haven't been in a 5.2m cuddy but got a similar oppinion from a bloke I spoke to in Sydney that owned one (the good stuff I mean). I have to stick to a 4.3m because of my camper trailer set up but the new 4.9 Bass Master would be brilliant for bay/comp fishing IMHO.

P.S. GO MAX HORSEPOWER V WEIGHT RESTRICTION THAT YOU CAN! I'm pretty sure crocodiles is illegal but stick within the specs and go a max HP fourstroke you wont be dissapointed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Hope this helps

Lovey80
22-10-2008, 02:55 AM
One more thing. I was going out through the mouth of the Georges river into Botany bay early 2007 in an Army vessel. There was a solid 3/4m-1m short swell with slop on top blowing 20kts. I saw a 5.2 cuddy comming back in to beat the rain. This guy was at WOT comming back in strait over the top of the lot like a mono on a lake. That day sold me on the hull performance.

Cheers

Chris

Dean1
22-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Ive only heard good info on these boats. I know a guy with a 4.6m webster and regularly runs to the shelf and loves it. Very well priced, not as good as glass obviously like others hear have stated but a great performer for what they are. Mmm maybe I should get one for my ranch up north :-/

Dean1
22-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Went halves with the old man on one this year (not an 08 model). I have to say there are a pretty good little boat that punches way above it's division. The tunnel could be a little higher up front as they really hate anything over 1/2m head-on but other than that he is very happy with it.

Single donk has not been an issue - works well for what it is.

Cheers

Greg Eeer eeermm did you say you invested in a twin hull boat Greg?? :o Way to go!! You kept that one quiet. Dont fight it! This is the start of a conversion here I say ;) ;D Maybe we do have more in common than one thinks :P :thumbsup:

Crocodile
22-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Max HP for a 4.3 is 60HP so I am OK.
It's not about top speed, but rather punch to accelerate and being able to cruise at only 4000 rpm.
A two stroke at 4000 is much more pleasant sound than a four stroke at 4500.
I have driven a 4s and had a dreadful high-pitched screaming engine note.
It was also gutless and would not hold plane at lower speeds.
It was a 50hp 4st mariner on a 15ft Quintrex, so it should have been a good match.

Tangles
22-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Mate,
Pegasus_One just got one, pm him, think he is sorting it out, height of motor etc,

Lovey80
23-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Croc, mine is a 2000 model and is only rated to 50HP. I spoke to Webster about rebadging to 60HP and they refused. Only the newer ones get a 60HP rating. Does yours have the little extended hulls at the rear under the step?

Cheers

Chris

DR
23-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Croc, mine is a 2000 model and is only rated to 50HP. I spoke to Webster about rebadging to 60HP and they refused. Only the newer ones get a 60HP rating. Does yours have the little extended hulls at the rear under the step?

Cheers

Chris

Mine is the 2000 as well, also rated to 50hp...

Crocodile
23-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Oops, it would seem that I am living outside the legal realm.
I can barely live with myself and my dangerously over-powered vessel.
At this rate I will soon be buying a jetski, not bloody likely!!
Just goes to show how meaningless ratings really are.

Mindi
23-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I am more than a bit interested and it could swing me off my choice of a Formosa CC if the share maket ever recovers (or a kayak if it doesnt...)
My main issue is single handed launch recovery with dodgy knees ...I know I can handle a mono around 5.0M fine but would the Webster be more or less demanding physically to recover...? Contain your enthusiasm Webster owners...important question for me.....LOL..I understand they live on special Dunbier trailers..?

Greg P
23-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Mindi - My old man handles the boat on/off by himself - he is 73 and is a little unsteady on his feet. Dont know about the Dunbiers - maybe the new ones. His sits on a Special Trailer.

Dean Dean Dean - Never said I dont have a soft spot for a cat - just dont see the point in terms of running costs for one under 2400 - who knows what the future brings. Maybe I too will need an Iron Glove and a HO to come with my next boat ;D;D;D

Dean1
23-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I am more than a bit interested and it could swing me off my choice of a Formosa CC if the share maket ever recovers (or a kayak if it doesnt...)
My main issue is single handed launch recovery with dodgy knees ...I know I can handle a mono around 5.0M fine but would the Webster be more or less demanding physically to recover...? Contain your enthusiasm Webster owners...important question for me.....LOL..I understand they live on special Dunbier trailers..? Mate if its set up like all normal cats( which im sure they are) it will be a walk in the park to recover.. Just drive it all the way onto the trailer and chain her off. Done. Monos are harder than cats to retrieve unless you can drive it on but not all are set up this way. Good luck, Deano.

patrol50
23-10-2008, 05:11 PM
mindi have the same prob often fish launch retrieve on my own (not usually in that order though) was very interested in the twinfisher initially but i have eased off it a bit cause i think from 4.8 m size and up its a two person launch retreive exercise particularly from an exposed ramp and particularly with swell impacts or side wind exposure so i am now looking hard at a barcrusher - just my thoughts- be interested to see what other have to say though
see you rob

finding_time
23-10-2008, 05:17 PM
qwpiohweoi

I sure it cant be a 2 person job mate! I more often than not launch and retrieve my 5.2 kc by myself and a mate does the same with his 2400 kc and there both much bigger boats. You dont wind tem up mate they would have to be drive on!

Ian

Lovey80
24-10-2008, 01:14 AM
I drive my little 4.3 on. Usually have 2 persons but have done it by myself several times with ease. Not sure of how others do it but I back the trailer in so that when the boat is fully on the trailer the prop is just in the water and keep it in gear. Jump off, hook up the strap, jump on tuen off the engine......Job done.

Cheers

Chris

Pegasus_1
24-10-2008, 07:21 AM
As Aigusto states I have just brought a new 2008 Twinfisher with the new transom. I initially had a small issue with the fuel tanks in the spontoons (venting) but I have nothing but high praise for Daniel at Webster’s for assisting in correcting the issue.

I am running an Optimax 90 and am currently testing various heights for mounting the motor. The motor when I brought the boat was set excessively low and by lifting it a couple of holes, it has made all the difference to how it runs and the ability to trim the boat. I have also changed the prop from an 18 pitch 3 blade Vengeance (standard with the optimax) to a 4 blade 17 pitch Trophy plus.

The battery storage area in mine does not allow for the fitment of two battery boxes as there is insufficient height. Daniel at Websters has now corrected this with a modified compartment. I find access to the anchor a little difficult but could be addressed with a “step” at the windscreen opening that would allow a person to get up on the foredeck with easy. An anchor tube for that spare anchor would also be a plus.

Due to a number of factors (weather, family commitments etc) I have not been able to get out wide much since my I originally purchased the boat. I intend to be heading to Burrum Heads this weekend so I will post another reply next week and let you know how it all went.

Pegasus_1

Mindi
24-10-2008, 07:50 AM
I drive my little 4.3 on. Usually have 2 persons but have done it by myself several times with ease. Not sure of how others do it but I back the trailer in so that when the boat is fully on the trailer the prop is just in the water and keep it in gear. Jump off, hook up the strap, jump on tuen off the engine......Job done.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris...Its all in the word "jump"... I dont 'jump" with two metal knees how I get out of a boat is more like "roll and fall"...lol. It means that single handed I beach the boat, reverse the trailer, push the boat off the sand and around the back, hook on the strap and start winding. no whingeing here but driving on is a luxury for when 2 up. Would rather winch it on than not go fishing. so obviously a non slip walkway and decent guiding setup at rear of trailer is important.

Crocodile
24-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Hello Mindi, I understand about aches and pains, I have a crook back so I have to be careful too.
My 4.3 trailer has two guides that fit inside the tunnel and stop side-to-side.
I have a walking plank.
A two speed winch is good because fast gets the boat started and then slow in easy to crank it on.
The towing eye on the boat is well down in the tunnel and a long reach, so I clamped some PVC tube with zippies to match the distance between the winch and the eye when loaded, this give me a rigid extension of about 500mm that making hooking on very easy.

No harder than any other boat to launch/retrieve.

sowden1942
24-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi Mindi. I have a 5mtr WTF I have attached a s/s turnbuckle to the end of the winch rope hook one end eye the other this allows me to reach under the bow and hook up without having to try and stretch under the boat. John

getin'catty
24-10-2008, 01:30 PM
My main issue is single handed launch recovery with dodgy knees ...I know I can handle a mono around 5.0M fine but would the Webster be more or less demanding physically to recover...? Contain your enthusiasm Webster owners...important question for me.....LOL..I understand they live on special Dunbier trailers..?

From the promotional video that I've seen they couldn't be much easier to launch and retreive, drive off drive on.

Well I must say its good to hear so many positive reports on them, am aiming to go for a run in one soon. Well in the start of the new year anyway. It will be interesting to see the difference in ride between them and mine.