PDA

View Full Version : merc prop finder

wayneoro
16-10-2008, 07:05 AM
ok after rasing the motor testing [and finding out there is a big diff; between sat and speedo speed]:-[ put all the info into the merc puta. they came back with a 3 blade for mid range cruising . i have a 4 blade . would the fuel saving be worth changing props ::)

FNQCairns
16-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Wayne there is no single recipe. most that get better performance from a new 4 blade is because the 3 blade they were using was a total dog for the boat.

Physics says 1 blade is more efficient than 2, 2 than 3, 3 than 4 and so on, so regardless of personal view, expertise, marketing or just a big mouth 3 will always win because our computers work and we have gravity:)

There can be caveats although on a moderately powered heavy deep V, they have no weight in practice.

You will find a more fuel efficient 3 blade than the 4 you are using that is guaranteed, although how much are you prepared to spend to find it?? It all comes off the bottom line.

Glad you got the merc calc to work sort of OK, if I listen to it's output my boat is a dog, it will only output what it can sell you.

cheers fnq

wayneoro
16-10-2008, 10:00 AM
cheers mate