PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga next Tuesday

plastic_paul
15-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi all, in case you didn't understang in off to awoong (for the first time), and im a little anxious about what lures etc. I know there's been alot of threads about awoonga lately and i've been reading vigourously in my free time but most threads either get highjacked or are a little old so im just dropping a post in to see if anyones been up or is still up there and what sort of lures are working, i have a calcutta 400b that'll be loaded wit 60lb on a genuine 6-8kg rod, and a daiwa sol 2500 with 20lb and a sol 4000 on a sol 10-17lb rod, will these be suitable, i know the 2500 is a bit small and lite but im the knd of person that likes jacks on 4lb...
maybe i just need a bit of reassuance that im prepared, any replies would be great
cheers

NAGG
15-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Paul ...... you will see a common theme from the responses ...... specially in windy conditions

use the conditions ....... find wind blown points & bays ( gentle sloping points .... which have deep water near by) ..... settle on an anchor or leccy
fish these hard ..... lots of wind assisted casts which make the weed edges or shore) ....... Use plastics (slick rigs 110-130mm , Berkley hollowbellies 6" , storm swim shads & berkley mullets) ....... slow roll

If these dont produce...... look for drop offs along natural creek / river beds ....... & sink plastics or HB deep divers

Persistence pays & best of luck

Chris

mikooh
15-10-2008, 06:51 PM
You should be exited, not anxious Paul.
Your tackle will be fine, I have landed barra over a meter on a 2500 Daiwa & 20lb.
As for lures, in general, if you prefer to cast go for 4-6" plastics (all the usual suspects) or if you like to troll, go for any of the aussie barra lures- classics, barra baits, vipers etc. there's plenty of lure info on this site.

Keep fishin, no matter how trying the conditions are, barra still need to eat.

Be safe and most importantly have fun!!

Mick

phatty
15-10-2008, 07:12 PM
winds spikin up abit over the weekend again.
its looking good for tuesday onwards.

the more i use gear like that out there the more i enjoy it.
still put alot of hurt on a big fish with a reel and rod of that size.

http://i38.tinypic.com/eqqfkx.jpg

2500 sol/10-17lb inshorecoastal

plastic_paul
16-10-2008, 05:02 AM
thanks for the replies, i have a few slick rigs, boof frogs, poppers, hard bodies. i also have alot of snapper plastics that i think would be ok, 5--8 inch shads and minnows. we'll be in a 445 hornet trophy with a 50 etec, car is a blue pajero, if anyone else from here is up there, your welcome to come and have a beer :)

at the moment im a bit obbsessed with surface fishing;D , i'm thinking maybe up some skinny arms or creeks for this with poppers, or the frogs over weedbeds like ive seen in a few vids, anyone had much strikes with this method?

also is there good mobile (3g) coverage up there, is there a bottle-o, tackleshop (just in case) and butcher near by?

eotbmg
16-10-2008, 07:13 AM
thanks for the replies, i have a few slick rigs, boof frogs, poppers, hard bodies. i also have alot of snapper plastics that i think would be ok, 5--8 inch shads and minnows. we'll be in a 445 hornet trophy with a 50 etec, car is a blue pajero, if anyone else from here is up there, your welcome to come and have a beer :)

at the moment im a bit obbsessed with surface fishing;D , i'm thinking maybe up some skinny arms or creeks for this with poppers, or the frogs over weedbeds like ive seen in a few vids, anyone had much strikes with this method?

also is there good mobile (3g) coverage up there, is there a bottle-o, tackleshop (just in case) and butcher near by?

No mate
If you are camping take everything, booze is in Gladstone, fuel is back out the main drag on the Highway, food is also in Gladstone. We are at Willowgrove in a fortnight and are taking absolutely everything, as trips for stocks are wasted fishing time!!!!
Good luck
Ben

phatty
16-10-2008, 11:13 AM
theres a pub out here at tannum.
and food.
abit closer than gladstone.

if your keen on surface action pack a few tangos and xwalks. ;)
its looking good for it with possibly some still nights atm for next week.

might see you out there.

matt

plastic_paul
17-10-2008, 08:48 PM
i know what the xwallks are and the tangos are a pencil baitright? what brand are they? does the surface fire at night up there? just came back from a bass session, only 2 caught, in wild... fun tho. thankss all for help its been great, if i get more than a donut i'll post the pics, cheers

phatty
17-10-2008, 11:58 PM
their a cultiva tango dancer.
made by owner.
great walk bait.

yea they do. but thats not the only time theyll hit them.
just a favorite way of fishing them on a dark still night.

plastic_paul
19-10-2008, 05:20 AM
that sounds pretty good, will get some today. not long now...;D ;D ;D

a big thank yuo to anyone who's helped