PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled

yellowcod
14-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Can anyone tell me why no one can fish with a boat on connelly dam near warwick.It is being stocked via the sip system but there's a rule out there stating you can only use a boat on the dam on sundays if you join the local fish stocking group.Does this sound legal.

Cammy
14-10-2008, 11:25 PM
This sounds liek the doings of the PRFMA. Nothing illegal about it i dont think, yet again i dont exacly know how they work, shayned will be able to help you out, along with other members.

Cam

shayned
15-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Not sure about Warwick, Fitzy would be best to ask. At a guess these style of arrangements usually relate to the requirements of the impoundment owners/managers not necessarily the stocking group.

Luc
15-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Because that's what whoever controls the dam has decided.
It's a way to limit the number of boats in a relatively small body of water.

The SIP scheme does not garanteed automatic access to the water with boats.

With North Pine Dam, even being a member of the stocking group does not garantee access by boat.

When the permit scheme is operational (50+% full), access by boat is based on a 'lottery' system. If the number of those wanting a permit exceed the number of permits available (300??), some will miss out.

Luc

Fitzy
15-10-2008, 09:33 PM
All great replies by Cammy Shayne & Luc, however the PRFMA ( stocking group for Lake Samsonvale & Kurwongbah) has no relevance to Connolly Dam aka Silverwood Dam near Warwick.

This is an ongoing issue with many folks who purchase SIP & I agree with them.

Connolly Dam has been stocked for a long time & so it should be. But there is VERY limited access & this is mainly only to local stocking group members. Bank access is permitted but only to a restricted area. If you want to park at the picnic area you need to be part mountain goat to get to the water or go climbing fences to go thru the paddocks. It is not sign posted if you're allowed to walk thru these paddocks (that have stock grazing on them) to access the water.

With the restricted access, this dam should never have been put onto the SIP program with the very restricted public access allowed. It should be removed from the SIP but still stocked by the local stocking group, but NOT with SIP funds.
Or, the controlling authority needs to allow better access to the lake.

Either way, something needs to be done to address this issue.

Cheers,

fitzy..

mylestom
16-10-2008, 04:20 AM
All great replies by Cammy Shayne & Luc, however the PRFMA ( stocking group for Lake Samsonvale & Kurwongbah) has no relevance to Connolly Dam aka Silverwood Dam near Warwick.

This is an ongoing issue with many folks who purchase SIP & I agree with them.

Connolly Dam has been stocked for a long time & so it should be. But there is VERY limited access & this is mainly only to local stocking group members. Bank access is permitted but only to a restricted area. If you want to park at the picnic area you need to be part mountain goat to get to the water or go climbing fences to go thru the paddocks. It is not sign posted if you're allowed to walk thru these paddocks (that have stock grazing on them) to access the water.

With the restricted access, this dam should never have been put onto the SIP program with the very restricted public access allowed. It should be removed from the SIP but still stocked by the local stocking group, but NOT with SIP funds.
Or, the controlling authority needs to allow better access to the lake.

Either way, something needs to be done to address this issue.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Fitzy,
It has been of concern to locals as well, and most just give up and don't bother.
Might be the idea, make it to hard and you have it all to yourself.

We lived in the area (on property) for 13 years up till retirement due to health and never did get to fish it. Leslie Dam was the other option. (However we did have Condamine River access property).

Difficult access and the restrictions placed on the average angler. (That might not be their intention?)

Agree that the SIP scheme should not be utilised unless access is improved for the average fisherman with a permit.

Regards

Trev

finga
01-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I think you can only have an electric as well.
Easy just to join the group and fish on Sunday's

tuppence
01-11-2008, 09:38 PM
hi everyone we have the same problem up here in townsville a huge dam ross river dam cant even fish from the shoreline but the idiots in their v8 ski boats can do as they please now you tell me have we got idiots running this state or what?
regards
tuppence

finga
02-11-2008, 07:54 AM
hi everyone we have the same problem up here in townsville a huge dam ross river dam cant even fish from the shoreline but the idiots in their v8 ski boats can do as they please now you tell me have we got idiots running this state or what?
regards
tuppence
A bit of a difference here.
Connelly is purely used for drinking water for Warwick and as such no boats with petrol motors are allowed.
If my memory serves me correct the whole basin is not that deep so sediment can be easily stirred up. The council do not want that.
Joining the stocking association is easy. Just pay the fee, bung the sticker on the boat and start paddling.
They don't ask you to do anything towards stocking the compound but the fees go towards the restocking.
I haven't been out there for years. I better go and have a squizz.

PS anybody with an electric for sale :-[

yellowcod
11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Just wondering if I put my boat on there on a say Sat can I get into trouble or would I just be asked to leave.I would only use my electric motor.A workmate goes down there and they don't have permission to go onto the water as well and they have never got into trouble.Knowing my luck as soon as my boat touches the water I'll get busted. Any Ideas?I can't fish on a Sun anyway.