PDA

View Full Version : Lucky or unlucky? Mates's boat scuttled in Fiji

GBC
14-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Just had a call from a mate of mine who has been off sailing the world for 9 years. He was making one of the final legs back home to Brisbane when the 'life aquatic' decided to turn on him 2 days ago.
They (he and 2 crew) had been beating all day towards their anchorage in some pretty fierce weather. They ended up needing the motor to lay the leads due to the significant fetch in that part of the world.
Apparently the motor was making some wierd noises so he went below to check it out. The header tank blew up in his face. He nearly lost his left eye from debris impact and suffered major burns to his face and arms.
With no motor and only two crew, the decision was made to bear away to another anchorage downwind. He strapped his head and was given a heading as he couldn't see too well at the time. About two hours later approximately 40 nm from Nadi at around 2300 hrs the boat started surfing and foundered on a reef. Needless to say the heading was incorrect. He had time to issue a mayday call, only to be informed by the Gov't rescue service that they 'did not have enough diesel to respond'. Fortunately a fellow sailor who had been following a similar route through the Pacific and had shared anchorages with them heard the call and replied that he would attend.
They stayed with the vessel (golden rule #1) in the water as long as they could throughout the night but knew rescue would be impossible in their position on the submerged reef.
He made the decision at sunrise to cut away from the wreck and drift out to sea where his mate was concentrating his search. The decision was forced due to one of the crew being hypothermic. They were rescued at around 0900 hrs by the one and only vessel who had responded - a single handed yacht. They were dropped at Robinson Crusoe island(?) who arranged the transfer to Nandi.
Cam flew in tonight with a wet backpack containing a change of clothes, the boat papers and a soggy passport - all he has left. The boat was not insured. It never ceases to amaze me that regularly, when things go wrong at sea they go spectacularly wrong.

mik01
14-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Just had a call from a mate of mine who has been off sailing the world for 9 years. He was making one of the final legs back home to Brisbane when the 'life aquatic' decided to turn on him 2 days ago.
They (he and 2 crew) had been beating all day towards their anchorage in some pretty fierce weather. They ended up needing the motor to lay the leads due to the significant fetch in that part of the world.
Apparently the motor was making some wierd noises so he went below to check it out. The header tank blew up in his face. He nearly lost his left eye from debris impact and suffered major burns to his face and arms.
With no motor and only two crew, the decision was made to bear away to another anchorage downwind. He strapped his head and was given a heading as he couldn't see too well at the time. About two hours later approximately 40 nm from Nadi at around 2300 hrs the boat started surfing and foundered on a reef. Needless to say the heading was incorrect. He had time to issue a mayday call, only to be informed by the Gov't rescue service that they 'did not have enough diesel to respond'. Fortunately a fellow sailor who had been following a similar route through the Pacific and had shared anchorages with them heard the call and replied that he would attend.
They stayed with the vessel (golden rule #1) in the water as long as they could throughout the night but knew rescue would be impossible in their position on the submerged reef.
He made the decision at sunrise to cut away from the wreck and drift out to sea where his mate was concentrating his search. The decision was forced due to one of the crew being hypothermic. They were rescued at around 0900 hrs by the one and only vessel who had responded - a single handed yacht. They were dropped at Robinson Crusoe island(?) who arranged the transfer to Nandi.
Cam flew in tonight with a wet backpack containing a change of clothes, the boat papers and a soggy passport - all he has left. The boat was not insured. It never ceases to amaze me that regularly, when things go wrong at sea they go spectacularly wrong.

lucky, lucky, lucky...
it sounds like only chance saved their lives. damn that would have been scary!

ffejsmada
14-10-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd say lucky to be alive.

What gets me is the fact it wasn't insured.
Quite often when you hear of a yacht going down you'll hear that the boat was not insured.

Why not???

GBC
14-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Dunno about the insurance thing - I believe it's a choice thing - he lived on board and worked to get from place to place. I'd assume that money would be tight.

Dirtysanchez
15-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Man thats shocking news. Is he doing OK now ? presume he would be in hospital?

Az
15-10-2008, 11:45 AM
very lucky indeed.. glad to hear of a good outcome in the end!

ozbee
15-10-2008, 03:42 PM
when hurt or in danger isn't it so easy to miss a simple check on his chart plotter would of saved a lot of grief. very much a case of human era caused by tiredness i would guess

wilcara
15-10-2008, 04:48 PM
And having one eye a face full of shrapnel and major burns perhaps? Fair go!

GBC
15-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Channel 7 is running some sort of story tonight - apparently 9 as well. Probably 100ft waves and killer whales by the time the media is finished with it.

Lovey80
22-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Channel 7 is running some sort of story tonight - apparently 9 as well. Probably 100ft waves and killer whales by the time the media is finished with it.

Yeh mate and I am sure that the MBMPA and fisheries scientists could find a way of blaming it on rec fishermen too!

If it had of been in Australian waters i'd say he was unlucky but being so far from home i'd have to put him in the lucky category.

Cheers

Chris

reidy
22-10-2008, 08:52 AM
good to hear all is well.
Cheers
Reidy

White Pointer
22-10-2008, 09:23 PM
G'day,

Reading this thread seems to be a confirmation of the story posted in reply to QF3 MROPC today.

Does anyone in the AUSFISH fraternity know how to poll members for a nomination for a heroism award?

White Pointer

GBC
23-10-2008, 07:04 AM
I can vouch that the event occurred.

You'll note some differences in the two stories - this thread was posted after a five minute phone call with the gent in question the day after the event, and just after he stepped off the plane from nadi. He wasn't too lucid given his circumstances and the fact they serve grog on the flight - some boys just don't know when to give up.

After I got emailed the transcript from the rescuer (see titanic post) I decided that he is the luckiest bloke going around.

Leglicker
23-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Interesting to note hypothermia in Fiji overnight. If you go in here (Tassie) you don't get to suffer overnight winter or summer. There was a guy down here building a big schooner for years and it burnt before it was even launched. It wasn't insured but he has built another one with little capital and a lot of help from others. GBC's mate was lucky and he will get back on the water -houses are too expensive and restrictive!