PDA

View Full Version : Noosa M/Jack Comp

Didley
14-10-2008, 06:48 PM
G'day Ausfishers

As the competition side of the M&G on the 12 and 13 October was postponed, I need to know the interest in reorganising it. The M&G was a lot of fun for those who attended, but the only difference in the comp weekend will be a few lures as prizes and hopefully good weather. So the guys who've just been may not want to commit to another so soon.

With a change in venue to Gagaju Backpackers bookings may be necessary, so I'm going to need to know rough numbers before organising anything. It's also a little hard to drag prizes out of potential sponsors with out some idea of how many may attend. Last week up until the last 2 days before, my estimate was between 5 and 25 anglers. It makes it hard to organise something I'm sure you'll agree.

At the moment I’m thinking the weekend of 29 and 30 November. Gagaju Backpackers is right next door to John’s Landing, and is said to be just a little more up market.

Please register your interest on this post, and we’ll go from there.

Regards Didley8-)

nuggstar
14-10-2008, 07:09 PM
mmmm tempting

TheRealAndy
14-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Bugger, I am fishing townsville from 15th to 23rd november.

mangrove rat
14-10-2008, 07:26 PM
mate, im gonna get onto it early, im on holidays from this week onwards and heading up that way to (by the looks of it) get some practise in! i'll see if i can round up noddy and another bloke. will get back to you

ffejsmada
14-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah I'm in, I'll be camping in the boat.

I've been up there this arvo practising, got 1 at 44cm.;D Only hit I had.

TheRealAndy
14-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I suppose the moon/tide are no good for the weekend after the 23rd?

MeePee_99
14-10-2008, 08:26 PM
The weekend after would be good, but i will try to get there regardless although it will only be for only one days not staying.

Nico.d.R
14-10-2008, 10:44 PM
yeah mate i will have to go , to try and make up for the last trip ( jack shit ) .
jeff you want a deckie ? to help get lures out of the trees ;D . let me know if you do .

cheers nico

Nico.d.R
14-10-2008, 10:50 PM
just an idea dids how about a 6 pack entry fee winner gets all ?

cheers nico

nuggstar
15-10-2008, 02:25 AM
hehehe i just could not get over the children of the corn at the gate. i was waiting for one of them to say, we going to make you squeal piggy. i got the image of cleatus of simpsons in my head when i got there. all we needed was one of then hollaring, hay mar get off the dang roof

Nico.d.R
15-10-2008, 07:06 AM
hey nugs while the cross eyed :dizzy: family were letting us in i swear i could here the battle off the banjo's :guitarist: down in the bush , thats when i thought to myself what are we doing here :o

cheers nico

Didley
15-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I suppose the moon/tide are no good for the weekend after the 23rd?

I'm open to anything, Numbers are the problem, the 6 pack idea sounds great, but I don't drink so I'll have to give 'em away;).

Dids

BrandonH
15-10-2008, 09:12 AM
sounds good dids, I should be a sweet for either of those dates.

cheers
Brandon...

Didley
15-10-2008, 09:38 AM
If the date is a problem, give me one when U can attend.

Didley
15-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Date change to 29-30 November, Andy your in.

So we've got Didley; Ffejsmada; Nico.d.r; MeePee_99; BrandonH; TheRealAndy; Stessco

We're getin there, come on!

Creek Vermin
15-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I might be able to get there for a session but not stay dids. Very big weekend after that one. Will be a late inclusion at best mate. Geez ya went alright on sat night for someone that doesn't drink.

Didley
15-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I might be able to get there for a session but not stay dids. Very big weekend after that one. Will be a late inclusion at best mate. Geez ya went alright on sat night for someone that doesn't drink.

That gives the rest of us a chance, CV. That was mostly coke mate just a few drops of the bear 4 flavour, imagine if I got onto 100% stuff like beer:-/

Cheers Dids

TheRealAndy
15-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Date change to 29-30 November, Andy your in.

So we've got Didley; Ffejsmada; Nico.d.r; MeePee_99; BrandonH; TheRealAndy

We're getin there, come on!

Yay!!! I am booking it in now! Missus wont be happy considering its the first week back from NQ, but I can deal with that!

nuggstar
16-10-2008, 10:39 PM
hehehe thats the spirit andy

Didley
21-10-2008, 02:37 PM
If you want accommodation in the high rise you'll need to get in early. I did mention Gagaju Backpackers was up market from John's, didn't I.

BrandonH
21-10-2008, 03:04 PM
haha you sure that wasn't up the back end of Johns? looks more like a redneck home than a camping ground :p

stessco
21-10-2008, 07:27 PM
sounds like fun count me in. stessco

ffejsmada
24-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I spent 6 hours up there on wednesday for 1 stinking Tarpon.
Great fighters, they never give up!

I hope it's fishing better soon Dids, we need those hot northerlies back again.
These southerlies/westerlies have really shut them down up there.
It's been real tough.

Cheers.

Didley
24-10-2008, 10:09 AM
We need some more commitment Ausfishes, if where going to arrange some prizes 4 this comp.

Currently in are Didley; Ffejsmada; Nico.d.r; MeePee_99; BrandonH; TheRealAndy; Stessco; RAT-KING; Abbot_86

RAT-KING
24-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey Didley is it stillat Noosa?
I bailed last time this time im defianetly in if its not 2 far!!!
Cheers Simon

abbot_86
30-10-2008, 09:06 PM
yeah ill come up if its not raining.

nuggstar
04-11-2008, 03:50 AM
im going to try and come again. i no what to exspect this time. is there a better boat ramp at the new camp site, the one at john's was horrid. i might have a boat to use as well but i dont like that ramp one bit. switchee might be comeing as well. defanetlly taking some kfc up there hehehe. do ya get mud crabs that way too as id like to try and get a good feed going come rum oclock.

Didley
04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
im going to try and come again. i no what to exspect this time. is there a better boat ramp at the new camp site, the one at john's was horrid. i might have a boat to use as well but i dont like that ramp one bit. switchee might be comeing as well. defanetlly taking some kfc up there hehehe. do ya get mud crabs that way too as id like to try and get a good feed going come rum oclock.

Good to hear Nuggstar, no ramp, you use the one at John's or down at Noosa. Crabs, Yes, if you want to catch crabs John's Landing would be the place.

BrandonH
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
hahahaha Nicely said Dids :p

Pistol_P
04-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Dids..

The w/e's arent fishing friendly for me as you know.

Sat I work till 3pm.....So if the weather is OK I will try and get up there.
Might see what Nick (abbott86) is doing and hitch a ride with him.

Sun...I am on child minding duties...;D

Pete

Nico.d.R
11-11-2008, 10:49 PM
hey dids do you think we might get better numbers if the comp was on saturday only ? some people might not be able to stay for the 2 days . meet up in the morning and go fishing till the arvo than a feed of " johns landing cat mourney" and see how many jack creek vermin gets lol , i mean see how many fish were caught .
cheers nico

nuggstar
12-11-2008, 12:23 AM
yer i will be there with stack and switchee and we too are only going sat as well, two days in that hole is just too much. yer we (jeff not included)dont even get a look in with the jack when thirsty and vermin rapeing the river clean, they just too good. it would be great if we all get one each, is that to much to ask. i will be ready this time.

Didley
12-11-2008, 09:06 AM
hey dids do you think we might get better numbers if the comp was on saturday only ? some people might not be able to stay for the 2 days . meet up in the morning and go fishing till the arvo than a feed of " johns landing cat mourney" and see how many jack creek vermin gets lol , i mean see how many fish were caught .
cheers nico

Thanks Nico, That sounds like a good idea, give me some time to think, I'm a bit slow :-/, I'll get back 2 ya.

Nugg Is that 2 more definite starters from U?

Didley
12-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes Nico, I've had a think, lets do that, Saturday only comp and 6am to 4pm. So a 1 day event, those that wish to stay longer can stay where ever they want to, I am going to sleep on my boat, I'd still like a camp fire Saturday night to talk to whoever will talk to me. Don't think u blokes are getting any food off me this time, I've got a long memory, I'm going to bring KFC, it has 2 uses ;).

Cheers Dids

Creek Vermin
12-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Good idea nico. Come on didley. At least I tried your cat mourney. Hopefully be able to get up there for a mornin sess at least. THIRSTY will be catchin "other things" in thailand, so I'll try bring a ring in.

Didley
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Good idea nico. Come on didley. At least I tried your cat mourney. Hopefully be able to get up there for a mornin sess at least. THIRSTY will be catchin "other things" in thailand, so I'll try bring a ring in.

A morning session will be all U need CV unless the KFC's as good as they say. Thirsty should team up with Nugg, he's chasing crabs too.

Didley
12-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Keith' it's time to tell you, Thirsty is telling fibs mate. He's not goin to Thailand, he's changin teams, he's with me now, he liked my form at the warm up and he''s brushed you. I got some lessons in those plastic prawns from the master today and it's all over :-/.

Sorry Bro

Creek Vermin
12-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I was always a bit suss bout which team thirsty was battin for mate. Bloody rangas! Between the gurus vid and thirsty's jack knowledge you pair will be unbeatable.. Good luck bro.

Nico.d.R
12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
where are you going to launch dids ? if your staying in the boat . i have got a green light to stay the night , but im not sure if i want to stay in the boat or brave the locals , it was a good spot down near the river and handy for the cars and boats . i might just get a camp spot for the night where we were and people can pay the 2 bucks to launch there or just pull up on the bank in the arvo before heading off .

cheers nico

Didley
12-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Don't know Nico, was thinking of putting in at Noosa, but it might be safer for the car at John's Landing :-/

nuggstar
12-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks Nico, That sounds like a good idea, give me some time to think, I'm a bit slow :-/, I'll get back 2 ya.

Nugg Is that 2 more definite starters from U?
yessssss mate

TheRealAndy
12-11-2008, 10:53 PM
That works out well for me too. I have a race to run at the yacht club on the sunday. I will probably head down Friday with a mate and leave sunday morning. That way I can suck back a few tinnies Sat night!!

BrandonH
13-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Great idea Nico!! ;) I think we should have a chat to the owners at John's when we get there, see what they want to charge us if we do camp in the boat but want to have a campfire setup for a few hours...

Can't wait!!!

Cheers
Brandon...

Shagga
14-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Count me in Didley. I will be there to take the top prize.

Didley
14-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks Shagga, That's 15 of us now boys, things are lookin good, keep 'em coming.
Here's the list if your not on it and your coming, or your there and not going to make it, let us know.

Didley;
Ffejsmada;
Nico.d.r;
MeePee_99;
BrandonH;
TheRealAndy;
Stessco;
RAT-KING;
Abbot_86;
Nuggstar;
Stack;
Switchee;
Creek vermin; + CV'S Bro
Shagga

Pistol_P
14-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Dids,

I spoke to the boys at Barra Jacks on Saturday.

They are still putting in the prizes...See Ben or James.

Pete

Nico.d.R
14-11-2008, 04:16 PM
hey pete has barra jacks got any of them diawa hb prawns if you got a gold one can you hang on to it for me ? i will drop in again and this time dont leave the country ;D . so will you be heading down in the arvo for a fish pete .

cheers nico

TheRealAndy
19-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Well guys I poped my jack cherry up here at lucinda on the tierra combo I bought from barra jacks. Fingers crossed I can do a back to back effort up at noosa!

Didley
19-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Congratulations Andy, see that wasn't hard was it ;D

Nico.d.R
19-11-2008, 06:10 PM
good work andy , see you at noosa .

cheers nico

TheRealAndy
20-11-2008, 04:28 PM
PB now 44cm!! Snapped my new tierra at whilst hauling it out though:-[

Didley
20-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Bloody hell, Andy, what's gunna happen when U get your 55 next weekend :-/.

BrandonH
20-11-2008, 05:49 PM
lol nice work Andy!!! lets see if you can keep it up at Noosa next weekend;)

borisdog
21-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I hope you didn't use your rod to lift that fish to the boat Andy, after I told you about the long leaders and all ;D

Darryl

Creek Vermin
22-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Onya andy. 44 might be enough to take out the comp if this rain keeps up..

ffejsmada
22-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Was up there today, top of tide, water was pretty good in colour.
There's a lot of extra water in the river and it's running bloody hard on the runout.
The water changes to a shitty brown on the runout and there's a little bit of floating debris as well.
Water is pretty fresh but there is a slight salty taste from the surface. This taste test was done start of run out. Down deep it should be fine.

Bottom of the tide, water will be fresher from runoff drains and the top lake.

The further upstream I went the colder it got, but only by 1 degree.
Temp is running between 26.5 and 27.5 degree.

Only fished it for an hour, no hits, but manged to snap my Loomis BC in half!;D

If we don't get any rain next week it should be excellent.

I'm not holding my breath as the forecast doesn't look good.

Forgot to mention, saw a few mullet and other bait up there, so things not that bad.

Cheers Jeff.

TheRealAndy
22-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I hope you didn't use your rod to lift that fish to the boat Andy, after I told you about the long leaders and all ;D

Darryl

Nah, it snapped as I was hauling out from a snag. I though I was going to lose it at when it snapped, as it was sitting underneath a large piece of timber. Managed to haul it in anyway.

Cheers again for your help Darryl, bloody great fishing. Hopefully I can use some of your tips down at noosa too!

Didley
23-11-2008, 05:02 PM
....................................Bugger

Didley
23-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Well here we go again:( , the forcast 4 late in the week is'n't lookin to good, Im thinkin call it off till January. What da ya reckon boys.

Nico.d.R
23-11-2008, 09:31 PM
man up dids , scared of a bit more rain hey ::) . Is it just going to rain or is the wind going to be up aswell . brandon and i went chasing jacks 2 weeks ago before a storm (as ya do) and it was raining pretty hard when out of the blue a bolt of lightning hit about 20m away from the boat :o . if its just rain or wind it should be ok but i might give it a miss if there is lightning around :-[ .

hey dids i put 2 mullet (twice the size of the jack)in the tank with my jack and he has been trying to eat them ;D .
see you next week

cheers nico

Didley
24-11-2008, 12:25 PM
man up dids , scared of a bit more rain hey ::) . Is it just going to rain or is the wind going to be up aswell . brandon and i went chasing jacks 2 weeks ago before a storm (as ya do) and it was raining pretty hard when out of the blue a bolt of lightning hit about 20m away from the boat :o . if its just rain or wind it should be ok but i might give it a miss if there is lightning around :-[ .

hey dids i put 2 mullet (twice the size of the jack)in the tank with my jack and he has been trying to eat them ;D .
see you next week

cheers nico

Sorry Nico, I'll hitch the skirt up and toughen the f up ;) ,there's rain and maybe a storm on Friday predicted, but if you blokes 'll turn up I'll be there. My worry isn't the rain, it's the sleepy jacks with all the fresh.
How's a 5 am start at the Noosaville ramp and open it up to fish any where in the Noosa river?

Creek Vermin
24-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds good dids.

ffejsmada
24-11-2008, 03:27 PM
How's a 5 am start at the Noosaville ramp and open it up to fish any where in the Noosa river?

Now you're talkin'!!

That's the main ramp on Gympie Terrace chaps, in case you didn't know.;D

Jeff.

TheRealAndy
24-11-2008, 06:22 PM
5am, bugger. Guess I best take it easy on the booze friday night. I will be heading to noosa Friday sometime as I need to drop into Barra Jacks before they close. Unless my missus comes I will probably spend the night in the scary place again, unless someone can suggest a better camping ground in the area.

Nico.d.R
24-11-2008, 06:49 PM
sounds good dids , andy brandon and i will probly be sleeping in the boat but if your setting up camp with the yolkals we'll share your fire for a while . who else is staying the night and are you staying in your boat or setting up camp ? any fish sounds good might have to fish noosa juring the day and fish further in on sunday morning . andy there is that place near the vmr that looks like a retirement village .

cheers nico

Didley
24-11-2008, 07:39 PM
My plan at the moment is to arrive at Noosa very, very late Friday night, after fishing elsewhere ( to hard to explain now why) (and I like to be a man of mystery), sleep in the boat in a quite location I know of on the river and be at the ramp at 5am. But I still say the weathers lookin questionable.

Andy there are a few spots along the river you could camp the night, illegally, like on the first island after the first lake, there is a little cleared area on the northern tip, from memory. Why don't U meet up with Brandon and Nico and hang with them.

Lets talk on Friday night

Cheers Dids

BrandonH
25-11-2008, 01:25 PM
hey guys,

Dids, I like your idea of having the area open, Nico and I will be keen to fish the woods area I think;)

Andy, maybe we can raft up somewhere for the night? Have you got a swag? I like the idea of having a livie out all night too:P

cheers
Brandon..

Didley
25-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Andy, maybe we can raft up somewhere for the night? Have you got a swag? I like the idea of having a livie out all night too:P

cheers
Brandon..

Yeh, that's the go, I reckon round the back of the sound or even in the woods area, to sleep the night. You'd be gone be 4.30am the residents wont even going to know your there. Or even under one of the bridges if it's raining, might need some cushioning to keep U off the pylons though.

Didley
25-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I'll roar up at 2am, do a few donuts around U, then check U with the spotlight:o and make sure your all sleeping.;D;D;D

Creek Vermin
25-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Or you's could sleep on the beach at the mouth. Bloody top spot. Although I think rangas are banned ever since that one put 2 feet on the sand.

TheRealAndy
25-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I do have a swag, not sure that it will fit down the sides of the poly cc. Might have to try it for size tonight.

BrandonH
25-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Nps andy, if not mate I think the beach at the mouth would work well too!!

TheRealAndy
26-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Tewantin had had 50mm of rain since 9 today, and no doubt got a hammering last night. Will this kill the fishing up there?

ffejsmada
26-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Just be careful boys, the Water Police are up here at the moment and told me they will be patrolling up here this weekend. The Fisheries Patrol boat was on the water as well yesterday.

They police pulled me up yesterday, checked everything and put me on the breathalyzer.

I'd had 2 Carlsberg's a couple of hours earlier on the water, but still blew zero.;D

I don't know the police or the patrols view on illegal camping.:-/

ffejsmada
26-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Tewantin had had 50mm of rain since 9 today, and no doubt got a hammering last night. Will this kill the fishing up there?

We haven't had any rain as yet, if you got this info off weatherzone or the BOM observations, it is wrong.
It said yesterday that Tewantin was blowing 150 kph winds:o:o

There's been a malfunction in the system.

Jeff.

Didley
26-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Just be careful boys, the Water Police are up here.:-/

Be careful around the Munna point area with the 6 knot speed limit, It's a favourite of these boys.

Ffej, so Saturday is looking like a goer at this stage?

ffejsmada
26-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Be careful around the Munna point area with the 6 knot speed limit, It's a favourite of these boys.

Ffej, so Saturday is looking like a goer at this stage?

I just hope we don't get too much rain............it started raining here at midday, not real heavy yet, a nice steady rain.

Also, because there's still heaps of extra water in the river, low tide yesterday, (according to the tide chart), was at 12.46pm, we had slack water at 4pm and it started running in about 4.30.

I was fishing at the bar, so these times are correct.

Didley
26-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I'll make a decision with Ffejy's help, by lunch time tomorrow, Thursday, on weather we go ahead this Saturday. I'll post it here and PM every one on the list. Forecast isn't lookin great

nuggstar
26-11-2008, 07:54 PM
bugger off rain

Didley
27-11-2008, 11:46 AM
OK lads, it’s on. From what I can see on the BOM radar, the rain has been much worse in Brisbane than Noosa and Ffejy assures me the river is still fishable. The forecast is for showers Friday and Saturday, and clearing Saturday afternoon. High tide, by the book is 8.52am, so we should have fairly good water most of the morning. I can’t see it being great water after lunch so how about we blow the whistle for the comp at 2pm and all get home at a good hour. Those that want to, and the weather permits, can fish on as long as they like. Personally I’m now going to come up on Saturday morning and going home straight after stumps, a warm bed is to attractive. A social weekend for me is on hold till we get some better weather, but I’d be very interested in a campfire with any of you in the near future. This is just a bit of fun between fishing mates, there is no insurance or any thing like that, (so if you fall overboard and drown, don’t come running to me) and any “attitude” is not welcome.

Here’s the plan ;

Just before 5am meet at the upstream of the two ramps at Gympie Terrace Noosaville, entry fee for all over 18’s is a 6 pack off beer. I’ll give you a small tag, which is to be placed in a camera shot of the biggest MJ you can get. (This is to prevent photos of photos of jacks caught prior to the 5am start being submitted as comp fish) So make sure you’ve got a digital camera and brag mat or some measuring device in each boat. The entire Noosa River is the fishing area. We meet back at the ramp at 2pm for the “weigh in”. There will be a first and second prize. Lure, fly or bait are acceptable. Catch and release only, please.

Please PM me if your not going to make it.Don’t forget to support “Barra Jacks Tackle Store” as they’ve supported us

Cheers Dids

Creek Vermin
27-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Sounds good dids. Nothing wrong with a light breeze to keep it interesting:) . Gonna be a thirsty kind of day:P See yas on the water.. Keith

Nico.d.R
27-11-2008, 07:22 PM
sounds good dids , i thought you were about to put your skirt back on yesterday lol , see you guys there .

cheers nico

Didley
27-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I've just had it bought to my attention, there maybe some that don't want to go in for the beers ( yes Keith it is possible ) That's fine it just means if u don't put in a 6 pack your not in the running to win the beer component of the prize. So if you win or come second you'll just get the Barra Jacks part of the prize ie. lures ect. and of course the prestige of winning.

No problem.:D

Nico, you don't want to be there when I take my dress off ;D

Nico.d.R
28-11-2008, 03:31 PM
ew i dont wanna see that . andy not sure if you have left yet but brandon and i will be around the woods and the canals from about midnight tonight give us a ring if you get the msg .

cheers nico

TheRealAndy
29-11-2008, 05:45 PM
ANy results? Sorry I did could not make, I just had zero confidence in the weather after my Friday visit to noosa. Looked like it turned out to be a good day in the end, would have definately turned to shit if I had come:P

Dropped in on Barra Jacks yesterday, spotted a left hand daiwa millionaire, the buggers nearly had another $400 out of me. They may still get it yet!;D