PDA

View Full Version : transom mount electric motor

bustaonenut
13-10-2008, 05:15 PM
does anyone use a transom mount electric motor and if so how do you find it? I have a 4.2 meter boat with a tiller steer 40hp on it but would like to put an electric motor on the back aswell mainly for using in very shallow water or when cast netting.

There is about 200mm from where the main motor plate ends to where the transom starts to angle up so there should be enough room to clamp the electric on.

Another question is can you steer the boat easily enough with the motor off centre and with the main motor out of the water.

banshee
13-10-2008, 06:01 PM
The boat is far easier to control with the electric on the nose of the boat pulling it,wind and cross current can make it a real pain with the motor on the transom but if that's your only option an electric on the back is better than no leci at all.If the budget wont stretch to a bowmount you can still get a block welded to the front and steer the tiller from the front,it may need to have bow rails etc modified to let it fold back.

tunaticer
13-10-2008, 06:02 PM
For what you are requiring a transom mount will do nicely. Tracking with an off centre tiller lecky will depend on your boat design. If your boat has a substantial keel it should track quite well, if its a flat bottom punt it will yaw all over the place but you can get used to that as well. Sometimes its best to use the lecky and pull the boat around backwards if there is reasonable current or wind around.

Jack.

Kleyny
13-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok,
I have a 4.6m tinnie with a 55lbs Jarvis walker watersnake on the back. Mine actually sits on top of th transom right next to the handles. it does what you want without a drama.
The motor is no where near center yes it does track a little but nothing that cant be adjusted.
it does roughly just below walking speed on full throttle with three blokes on board. I have used it in windy conditions and as long as you didn't point it straight at the wind you got to where you were going.
I haven't put it in a strong current as yet so i couldn't tell you how it performs against a good current.
Right now i am trying to make it a bow mount as i do most of my fish with lures up the front. I have made the mount i just have to turn the motor 180 deg so i can still use the tiller. I will post photos as soon as i have finished.

neil

NormC
13-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I used to run a transom mount before converting to bow mount. Bow mount is much more convenient, largely due to foot controls, but much more expensive. Transom mount met my needs for a couple of years and was great when flicking lures.

I made up a ply bracket so I could mount it on the angle part of the transom to keep it away from the outboard. Two pieces of square ply with about 3 peces in between to act as spacers. The spacers were cut at the right angle to sit on the angled transom, but leave the top of the bracket square. Follow? Glue it all together and whack a couple of gal or stainless screws through from each side.

Worked very well. Just give it a coat of external varnish for some protection.

Steering was fine. You get used to having the motor at a slight angle to go straight ahead. You tend to take more notice of where the bow is pointed than the motor after all.

plaztix
13-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I've got a 50lb minn kota transom mount on my 4.15 seajay sp, it goes fine and is easy to control, when theres little wind or current, with the motor out of the water.

A transom mount will be fine for crossing shallow area's and holding ground while you cast net, as long as where you're fishing isn't exposed to strong current or wind, thats when a bow mount comes into its element as the boat will just follow the motor when being dragged from the bow whereas it tends to skew off to the side when being pushed from behind into current or wind.

I'm about to make a bracket and move mine to the bow so i can use my casting deck and not my deckie ::) and to make heading into wind/current a bit easier and more efficient.